Need tips for booking connected cabins

3kidsncats

Hello All,

I am in the early planning stages for a family cruise (Mexican Riviera for 2009). My problem is, that we are a family of 5, so we need to book two cabins. My kids are young--at time of sailing they will be 8, 11. and 13.

I prefer not to work with a TA--but it is really difficult to find a ship/sailing date with interconnecting cabins available. Any suggestions for tracking down these elusive accommodations?

Hello All,

I am in the early planning stages for a family cruise (Mexican Riviera for 2009). My problem is, that we are a family of 5, so we need to book two cabins. My kids are young--at time of sailing they will be 8, 11. and 13.

I prefer not to work with a TA--but it is really difficult to find a ship/sailing date with interconnecting cabins available. Any suggestions for tracking down these elusive accommodations?

We have got one on the Pride in Nov.I would suggest you go on the cruiselines webpage and get an idea of where you want to be then contact the cruiseline themselves and ask where the adjoing ones are .It doesn't mean you have to book with the PVP but it will give you an idea then start shopping for the best price and see if the cruiseline will price match.:)

We have taken adjoining promenade staterooms on the Liberty of the Seas. We called RCCL directly and asked what they had available. These rooms generally don't show up as available on the web sites so you have to call to book them. We are currently booked in adjoining rooms on the Majesty and they too weren't showing up as available when we called and booked. So my advice is to decide what ship and sailing you want and then give the cruise line a call. They will be happy to help you.

Hope this helps....

Hello All,

I would suggest that you determine which ships sail out of your desired port and then take a look at each ships floor plan to determine which rooms you want to book.

Since you are trying to book for a 2009 cruise, as long as you book early, you should not have a problem getting the rooms.

One option is, RCCL's Mariner of the Seas has some family oceanview rooms that will hold 5 (actually 6 people). These cannot be booked via the internet, so you'd have to call a TA or the cruiseline directly.

I would decide on when you want to cruise and what cruiseline and then call the cruiseline directly. They all have people that will help you book. Tell them you need connecting cabins and they will help you.

Hello All,

I'm not sure why you don't want to work with a TA? They would be able to answer your questions and help you right away. It sounds as if you are somewhat new to cruising..this is where a TA can be invaluable to you.

Thank you so much, for all of the great info. I have already researched which ships/lines are sailing so I will start contacting the lines directly, to check availability and pricing

I'm not sure why you don't want to work with a TA? They would be able to answer your questions and help you right away. It sounds as if you are somewhat new to cruising..this is where a TA can be invaluable to you.

I have worked with travel agents in the past--for my first two cruises I did. I have to say that I was never fortunate to find a TA that really did a great job for me, and that I clicked with. My absolute best fare and accommodation was for the trip I did on my own. And frankly--I enjoy doing the research and digging to find a great fare---which is so possible now, with the internet. If I worked full time, then a TA probably would be a great choice, but I have plenty of time to look, and don't have specific date requirements.

One suggestion is that you can find the interconnecting cabins on the deck plans- they use a code- usually a little dash mark connecting two staterooms. Then call the cruise line to ask any specific questions- When you book- follow up with the cruiseline to make sure that they don't move you- make it known that you must have connecting rooms and do NOT want a complimentary upgrade. Cunard and Princess (for example) routinely move people from the selected stateroom.

I completely agree with you reguading the TA thing. I had one plan the last 3 cruises for me. Thi time I'm on my own. It seems I know more than them just with internet reseach and talking to my cruise critic croonies! I'm sure there are some good TA's out there, I just haven't found one yet.

Hello All,

I don't work with TA's either. Every time that I have they have dropped the ball in some fashion and left me sort of, and literally, stranded high and dry.

Anyway, I just called C&A and told them that I wanted connecting rooms and told them where on the ship we preferred, a lower deck as mid-ships as possible. They told us what they have available and we picked our rooms and placed our deposit over the phone. Worked slicker than a whistle.:)

Of course, by booking this way you just about completely eliminate any chance of being visited by the upgrade fairy.:o

I don't work with TA's either. Every time that I have they have dropped the ball in some fashion and left me sort of, and literally, stranded high and dry.

Anyway, I just called C&A and told them that I wanted connecting rooms and told them where on the ship we preferred, a lower deck as mid-ships as possible. They told us what they have available and we picked our rooms and placed our deposit over the phone. Worked slicker than a whistle.:)

Of course, by booking this way you just about completely eliminate any chance of being visited by the upgrade fairy.:o

You're right--and I do like that upgrade fairy! Since we're going on a RCCL trip in two months, I'm going to get one of those nextcruise certificates--and then book. But the upgrade potential is tough---I really think connected cabins is the way to go, but hate to miss out on great opportunities! Oh well, I guess ya gotta do, what ya gotta do!

If you go to the Travelocity web site .You can see which cabins are connectting and if they are open to book . You will see bleaking on the rooms you can book and if to rooms are bleaking side by side then you in luck.

Once you find that out call the cruise line up and ask for those rooms .

Archived