Xunantunich on Carnival Valor, Anyone?

firsttimerin2008

. . . but you should look for steps that have been added over the surface of the monument itself in order to prevent wear and tear on the monument. (There are signs to let you know where it starts). When we were there, a couple had managed to climb up into the roof comb and were sitting there. I couldn't figure out how they did that--I still don't know, and I didn't see them get down, either--youth will find a way! Perhaps they flew up like that "Bride of the Eiffel Tower" . . . . I was only able to get up to the level of the frieze (with my tripod and camera), and although I went all around the back I could find no other steps. I suspect the government is trying to discourage people from going higher, as it is pretty steep going anyway. And the view from the frieze level is excellent, with good open space for a tripod AND a photographer. I mentioned in another post that the frieze is in fact a copy of the original frieze, which was uncovered by conservators and then recovered to protect it, and the present frieze is a faithful copy of what was found, set on the surface. The rest of what you see at Xunantunich--including the roof comb--is original.

Hope you have a wonderful day! It is HOT on top--don't forget to wear a cap or hat and sun block. Carry water up if you can manage it--although I suppose that is a good inducement to get down in one piece. Dehydration is a real and present danger in Belize--I lost eleven pounds in fourteen days, although I was drinking water and eating fruit as never before! :D (I am no longer even so fat as this Big Grin!)

Archived