Help with travel plans/hotel from FLL to Port of Miami!

JodiDelF

Hello,

My husband and I are first time cruisers and we can't wait to set sail on the Freedom! We're getting a little overwhelmed with travel plans and where to stay. We're coming in to FLL a day before our cruise departs from Port of Miami. We're not sure whether it's cheaper to stay in FLL then go to Port of Miami the next day or to stay in a hotel in Miami. We would also love some suggestions on transportation to and from FLL to Miami. Are there any shuttles in FLL that will take you to the port?Anything would be appreciated! This is a long over due trip away from the kiddos-but we're watching the budget.

Thank you!

We are flying into FLL the day before our Valor cruise and staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami ~ very close to the port and across the street from Bayside Market which has shops and restaurants.

For transportation, we found a locally owned car service called John's Car Service http://www.johnscarservice.com which will take you round trip to/from FLL for $75 each way for a sedan (maximum 6 pieces luggage) or $90 for an SUV. That price includes tip. There are shuttles for $18 per person, one is called Go Shuttle http://www.floridalimo.com ~ they also have private sedans for $64 from FLL to Miami port area (but coming back from the port it's over $100).

Good luck, and have fun on your cruise! This will be our first time in Miami, can't wait!!

we sailed out of miami in sept, flew into fll took a cab to the thunderbird hotel, it si half way between mia and fll and took a cab in the morning to the port..but we had another couple to share the price. we had a car at fll and left it at the thunderbird, they have drop off for thrify so we didnt have to return it. i am familiar with the area and wanted to mess around a bit..the cab (van) was about $65 from the hotel to port..maybe check into the floridalimo shuttle..i wont drive in the mia area any more, to crazy even on a saturday. good thing, the exit to the port was closed due to contruction..the hotel was about $100 by the time they add on everything. next time we sail from miami we will stay closer to the port. i saw the holiday-inn at the port, it is right there. they charge more beign at the port area. courtyard by marriott has a nice one i was looking at (my pal didnt want to stay in miami) for about the same as the thunderbird..there is a days inn on miami beach, kinda dumpy looking and rated but...only one night and its right there, a cab wouldnt be very much..some hotels have shuttles to the port but i dont think there r many of them. i love flyiing into fll too, it is so much nicer! just from experience we will stay closer to the port next time. we wanted the beach..but it wasnt very nice where we were, south beach is good enough for walking around..

:D My husband and I will be flying into FLL on 5/9 and taking a cruise out on the RCCL Liberty on 5/10 from MIA. After MUCH research, I have planned the following. We will be renting a car from Thrifty car rental at the MIA airport for $38/day. (Use Orlando Magicard = Corporate Code #004M001010). The website is http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/listings.cfm?searchCategory=transportation. This saved me almost 50%. Then we are staying at the Hampton Inn Dadeland for $152/night AAA rate (The mall is real close and includes a Target). This includes a full breakfast. We will then bring the car back to the MIA airport and take a free Thrifty shuttle bus to the port. I am still working on transportation back to FLL airport upon our return to the Port of Miami on 5/17. Taxi will cost us approximately $70. However, I am going to look into seeing if I can find anyone else that will be cruising on the Liberty too who wants to share a ride from a car service for $15/person with groups 5+. Any takers? Hope that this information helps you out!

Hubby and I will be arriving at FLL airport on 4/20 for a cruise out of Port of Miami on 4/21. We found a pretty good deal from the Ramada Inn at FLL. We will be getting free shuttle service from FLL airport to the hotel that night, Then we booked a pre cruise package through Ramada Inn, which also includes a shuttle from the hotel to the Port the next day. We got all of this plus a free, hot buffet breakfast, for $135. We thought you can't beat a room plus all your shuttles for that! Also, the desk clerk told us that the good thing about staying in Fort Lauderdale and then goining to Miami, is that most Miami cruisers stay in Miami which makes for long shuttle waits to get to the port. They told us they usually only have to run one shuttle to Miami which gives you assurance that you will be at the point at a good time. Check their site out, you may be interested. The reviews look pretty decent, and besides the real vacation starts once on the boat!

:D My husband and I will be flying into FLL on 5/9 and taking a cruise out on the RCCL Liberty on 5/10 from MIA. After MUCH research, I have planned the following. We will be renting a car from Thrifty car rental at the MIA airport for $38/day. (Use Orlando Magicard = Corporate Code #004M001010). The website is http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/listings.cfm?searchCategory=transportation. This saved me almost 50%. Then we are staying at the Hampton Inn Dadeland for $152/night AAA rate (The mall is real close and includes a Target). This includes a full breakfast. We will then bring the car back to the MIA airport and take a free Thrifty shuttle bus to the port. I am still working on transportation back to FLL airport upon our return to the Port of Miami on 5/17. Taxi will cost us approximately $70. However, I am going to look into seeing if I can find anyone else that will be cruising on the Liberty too who wants to share a ride from a car service for $15/person with groups 5+. Any takers? Hope that this information helps you out!

You can use the same code to rent a car for one day to get from the port to the FLL airport. They have a pick-up location at the Port of Miami. I checked the rates for 4/26 and it was about $32 (including taxes) for an economy car. Not sure how much it would be for your date.

I was having the opposite problem -- figuring out how to rent a car from FLL airport to the cruise port. The Port of Miami is not listed as a drop-off location. I didn't realize that Thrifty has a free shuttle from MIA airport to the port. Is this information on their website? Thank you!

You can use the same code to rent a car for one day to get from the port to the FLL airport. They have a pick-up location at the Port of Miami. I checked the rates for 4/26 and it was about $32 (including taxes) for an economy car. Not sure how much it would be for your date.

I was having the opposite problem -- figuring out how to rent a car from FLL airport to the cruise port. The Port of Miami is not listed as a drop-off location. I didn't realize that Thrifty has a free shuttle from MIA airport to the port. Is this information on their website? Thank you!

Please excuse me if I misunderstood your post. I just wanted to make sure that you know that there is no on-site car rental companies serving the Port of Miami at this time. This information is according to the port's website at http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp. Once you arrive back to Miami after your cruise:( , you can shuttle from the port to Miami airport to pick up your car. Then, you can drive to FLL airport and drop off the car and catch your flight. I am just concerned that this is leaving too much to do when trying to catch a flight.

The information that I received about droping the car off at the Miami airport and then taking a free Thrift shuttle to the port on the day of the cruise is according to a Thrift representative that I spoke to when confirming my reservation. If anyone has conflicting information on this, please post.

Again, I hope that I didn't misunderstand your post. Sorry in advance if I did!

Archived