SURF LESSON - your experience Kona & Waikiki

MOMofONE

There are tons of surf lesson companies in Waikiki so was hoping someone would share their personal experience/recommendation.

We will have a rental so location on other Oahu beach may work into our tour plans.

We will be on Oahu post cruise July 2-5th.

My daughter is 11 so anyone with specific info on child lesson would be wonderful but I hope to do this with her so also would love to hear how an older "Duke-wanna be" fared. icon_smile.gif

Do you think reservations are neccessary, considering the Holiday weekend?

Also, a fellow cruiser is looking for info on a surf lesson, near Kona pier preferably. Her children are ages 3-20 so am not sure which ones are looking to surf (others just a decent beach while rest are doing lesson).

Anyone take a surf lesson in Kona?

Again, is a Sunday lesson doable on a walk-in basis, as soon as arriving by tender in AM? Or would a reservation be best?

Mahalo!

Tina

Our son was 10 when he took his first lesson on Waikiki! There is a stand set up near the Royal Hawaiian hotel with surfboards and instructors are right there. Our son's instructor happened to be the life guard at the Royal Hawaiian (on his "off" days, he teaches surfing!). Great experience! You can't go wrong and for a young beginner, that is much better than going to a surf shop and renting a board! As they get older and wiser, they will want better boards, believe me!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Be careful who you go with...there are clowns walking the beach offering lessons and are not licensed. They are trying to take advantage of tourists.

Just for your safety!

Aloha

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Ditto what Suebee said...been news about it on the news.

Speaking of Kona...I personally have never seen any surfing instructors here...and near the pier there isn't anywhere really to surf. No...I take that back I have seen surfers sometimes near Bubba Gumps. There are some beaches a ways up the road that locals go to but I wouldn't think it would be good for a beginner.

Kona is the newest of the islands and the only one that is still growing. Therefore (I think this is the reason) we have very few beaches that are like you are used to with sand and stuff. Most of our beaches are lava and coral and as far as I'm concerned difficult to get in and out of. That may be why the surfing lesson business isn't booming around here...

I could be wrong - I don't spend that much time hanging out at the beach, but I have spent some time there and never have seen any.

Aloha,

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Thanks for advice on the freelance surf dudes -I hope someone can recommend a company that also has a website - we won't be tagging along with just any guy with a board. I have a number of sites bookmarked but would like to go with a recommended one.

4cruisers - it appears you just moseyed up to the station and grabbed a lesson - cool!

Emi - thanks for the explanation of lack of surfing at Kona. Was wondering why all of the other islands had many listings but not there. It makes sense now. I will also let my cruise friend know what to expect beach-wise from Kona port - she may opt to do a land tour as we are doing snorkeling boat together in other ports so she was looking for something different here. She is understandably a bit tentative about venturing out with her large group (actually 12 with her brother's family)at a tendering port.

Thanks to you helpful Hawaiians, I have MY plan set to visit "the place of refuge" and hopefully doing a little snorkeling while there.

Hopefully, we'll hook up with a surf lesson in Oahu for the complete Aloha experience!

Tina

Tina: We do have some very nice beaches, though...I mean they aren't all lava and coral and we have some of the best snorkeling in the world right here! But when I came here - it was soooo different than what I was used to regarding beaches on the West Coast....all that sand...not here!

DISCLAIMER! I just noticed up there I said Kona was the newest of the islands....lol! I meant Hawaii (Big Island) was...duh!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I am surprised at the responses to the surfing instruction on Waikiki! That rental station is to my best knowlege maintained and staffed by the Outrigger Hotel(you could charge it to your room if you were a guest there...cash if you weren't). Our lifeguard from Royal Hawaiian was just there on his off days. I was right there during the lesson and it was very professional. Use your comon sense and you will be fine. There is also a most "famous" instructor who works on the "public" beach right near the Moana Surfrider... All I can say is "TALK TO THEM" and see if you feel comfortable!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

There have been some problems and one pertained a young girl who got badly hurt going with UNLICENSED instructors. If they are unlicensed they are also un-policed. What they did to that girl was quite sad indeed. I would guess that if they are part of the Outrigger and you can even charge the lessons to your room, they are being policed and you would be fine. However...I have to disagree a bit about just talking to them...if they are slick salesman, just talking to them won't be enough.

http://www.kgmb.com/local/show_news.php?show_n_id=2355&clean=1

There is a link to the news story I have seen I think...it wouldn't work when I tried clicking on it but the whole KGMB.com wouldn't work either

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Oh SweetEmi, I take your word for it! I am just happy that it worked out for us. Actually we asked at the Royal Hawaiian the day before we were doing the lesson and that's how we knew it would be our life guard. You are so right to inform fellow Cruise Critics under the circumstances! What is this world coming to? I just posted about Hawaii being in my heart...I forgot a major point...it's the Hawaiian people who have put Hawaii in my heart. Mahalo. icon_smile.gif

You're very welcome!! I'm counting on you all to be there for me too with my questions about So Cal and Mexico!! I seem to get more worried every day about the driving... icon_frown.gif I moved away from there where I grew up because it was scaring me and that was in 1981! But...you know what...if I'm too much of a scardy cat, I'll take a cab from the airport to the hotel...stay there until it's time to cruise and hang out at Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm...and take a cab from the HoJos to the hotel in San Pedro. Except after the cruise I do have to get the rental and drive to Palm Springs for a night...but I'll just have to handle it. icon_biggrin.gif

Aloha!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Emi, we'll have to "talk" before then! I'd love to show some Aloha from here in So. Calif.! Wouldn't want to cramp your style, but might be able to help in some way!!! We're 50 minutes from the port, or 50 minutes from LAX and 90 minutes from Palm Springs (assuming we are not talking rush hour, of course! icon_eek.gif). tantunez@earthlink.net

Nanette

The surf school that I would recommend on Oahu is the Hawaiian Fire Surf School (website) ... they actually don't do lessons on Waikiki Beach but they will do pick up and drop off in Waikiki and take you to their beach that they do lessons. The reason why I would recommend them (given the problems recently outlined on the TV news) is that all the instructors are City and County of Honolulu firefighters (and therefore, certified in CPR and lifesaving). They do this in their off time and I think it's pretty cool ... so I recommend them every chance I get. There's something to be said about going with one of the old-time Waikiki beachboys to do your surf lesson ... but in this day and age, it may be better to go with people that might be more trustworthy.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Wow...Spleen - that is a great idea...If I ever in my wildest dreams ever thought of learning to surf(without laughing myself silly at the thought) I would definately give them a call.

Nanette: Great...I'll take you up on that. Maybe we can do a nice dinner somewhere one night. Hey...speaking of dinner, I have been meaning to do a search, but do you know if Captain Jacks Restaurant is still on Beach Blvd in Huntington Beach? He is the brother of a really good friend/friend's mother (who I haven't see or heard from in 25 years or more). It used to be a really big occasion to go there for dinner for me as a teen/young adult. My first husband and I went there for dinner after we got married even - in my dress and he in his tux. People wanted to buy us champagne but he knew we were too young and told them very diplomatically that we wouldn't be drinking that evening... icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway...I've been wondering if it was still around.

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Aloha - I am the "cruise friend" that Tina spoke of.

icon_frown.gif I was so sure that every island had surfing! Well - now what to do in Kona. Yes I am concerned with a group of 12 getting them around to anything - after tendering from the ship. The excursions from the ship are limited due to our age ranges (and their prices icon_eek.gif)

Emi - I did notice an earlier post of yours regarding some transportation ideas in Kona. I plan to give them a call and see what they might be able to do with such a HUGE group.

I am open to any other suggestions - remember we are a group of 12 (the 9 "kids" are ages 3 years to 20). I know that whatever we end up doing - we are going to have an incredible visit.

Thanks for all your help through the boards - I feel the aloha spirit already.

Emi - I am also in So. Ca - so let me know what I can do to help you out with your trip this way!

Aloha

Tammy

zflam11.gif

Tammy, I feel for you trying to plan for your group of 12. I have to plan for a group of 6 ages 5-62. It is quite complicated to find something for everyone at a reasonable cost. I have enjoyed very much though reading about each of the islands,I just wish there was time to do everything. I'll be sure to post here anything I discover that may interest your group if you will do the same. I know in Kauai we are renting a car and going to Waimea Canyon. My husband and I were there before and really want the kids to see it. It is beautiful and not to be missed. Best wishes in your planning.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;1;17;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000  6/9/04 Norwegian Wind to Hawaii

1/17/03 Celebration

Tammy: Check out this website. They might be able to help your big group and I bet you get an experience you'll never forget no matter what excursions you choose to take. Apparently, you can have a group excursion just for you all...sounds good!

http://www.hawaii-forest.com/index.html If they don't come get you, they aren't that far away from the pier...maybe half-way between the pier and the airport where you have to go to rent a car.

Oh!! And they are directly underneath the Mac Pie warehouse!!

I just looked up Captain Jack's and I can't tell if there is still a restaurant on Beach Blvd...but there seems to definately be one in Sunset Beach. And I see he passed away in 2000...how sad. I would sure like to find my friend again some day...Her last name was Paterno and I think she used to be married to a football coach or something...but, I digress...

Aloha!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

[This message was edited by SweetEmi on 05-02-04 at 04:13 PM.]

Emi - thanks I really like what I see.

Here's one of the sites I found that did talk about surfing lessons in Kona (I hope the link works) http://www.kahaluurent.com/

Anyway it is Kahalu'u Bay Rentals. Don't even know if they are anywhere near where we are tendering.

I am sure now though - that no matter what we find to do that if the people of Kona are as helpful as those on this board - we won't have any difficulty finding something nice to do. icon_smile.gif

TexasAlexus - I will definately know what and how we manage to do it on this trip. We do have some activities already reserved - Maui we are doing the Molokini Snorkel, Kauai we are separating and the more daring ones are doing a new Zipline adventure - I am taking the younger ones on the Kipu Falls Safari (lots of different activity all day - kayak, hike, swim, hike, tractor, boat) Back on ship I am sure I will have a visit to the spa to recoup.

It's hard not to want to do it all! Daddy worked on Maui for 7 months and he wants to show us around - I guess we'll just have to come back again! icon_cool.gif

Thanks again for all your support and assistance in trying to organize our fun!

Tammy

2hulagirls.gif

You can take a taxi to Kahalu. The boards are located just across the street. Snorkeling is great at Kahalu as you get to swim with the turtles, and see more fish than any other place on the Hawaiian Islands.

Kahalu'u is a wonderful place to snorkle...there is a place there to rent equipment and usually buy food and there are bathrooms and showers, etc. It is right next door to Ohana Keauhou Beach Hotel...a very nice hotel. I really am a bad one to talk to about this kind of thing because I'm a BIG chicken of the sea...I snorkeled at Kahalu'u when I first came here and was scared to death...first you aren't supposed to touch the coral and I'm a scardy cat anyway and worrying about the coral and trying to figure out how to get the fins on while not get knocked over by waves to touch coral that kept sneaking up behind me...and all that was before I ever had to worry about the actual snorkeling part of it!!

I do remember seeing boards near the beach and you are probably right. However I have NO clue how they would teach you to surf there, but then again I never wanted to learn so I haven't paid attention. I think if I wanted to learn to surf it would first be in a 1 foot swimming pool - hehehehe...so don't listen to me.

Have a wonderful time and I hope if you do go surfing that you have a great time and come back and tell me so I can tell others...

One very important thing for everyone to remember...Never turn your back to the ocean...

Aloha!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Thanks spleen for Waikiki surf recommendation. I agree a firefighter would surely make one feel secure but they charge twice what the establisments on the beach charge.

Although I saw them on a Travel Channel show - the beach they go to is certainly worth the trip to be away from the crowds of Waikiki. But they would also charge my husband a "tag along" price to come & watch. Firesurf would run us over $220 compared with $70-$110 !

Other certified surf companies I saw on web are "Hans Hedesman" and "Cowboy & Jenny" but like I said, I DO like to go with someone recommended.

OK ... then another recommendation is to find the surf school that's run by Rabbit Kekai. Rabbit's a long time fixture on Waikiki beach ... been around forever it seems (learned from the Duke himself). Don't think that there's a website for his school ... but certainly reputable.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Archived