Celebrity VS Carnival

reefexplorer

Wow! This is a 4 year old thread ...... but it's worth revisiting for both new comers to cruising and those who've been at it for a while.

First, which cruise line you select is a matter of identifying your priorities regarding what kind of cruise you're looking for, how much you want to pay for it and where you want to go. The famous quote, "....... in the eye of the beholder," could not be more applicable to one's experience than on a cruise.

The 7 cruise lines I've sampled, including Carnival, since 2001 all have a different character or, as some would call it, ambience (NCL, Carnival, MSC, Oceana, RCL, Disney and Celebrity). I should mention we are Celebrity loyalists (34) but I can also say I enjoyed every cruise I sailed on a different line for different reasons. I just like cruising!

You will find that the corporation that markets the line wants to push a certain theme, for example, Carnival ships are called fun ships (FunShip 2.0 fleet wide modernization) and you'll see staff attuned to making it fun and reminding you that that is their mission. We've sailed 3X with Carnival and loved the newer or FunShip 2.0 upgraded ships. Took three of our older grandkids on Carnival Breeze. We loved it and so did they. It's worth mentioning that Carnival Corporation holds 9 cruise lines that operate independently including Seaborn, Cunard, Costa, Princess, P&O and HAL

Celebrity, since its beginnings in (officially) 1990 has touted its X-cellent service/exceeding X-pectations theme. My experience finds that to be as true today as it was 15 years ago when we first sailed on Century, although it feels a bit different.

NCL made it's name on the relaxed cruising/any time dining theme. They attract a lot of cruisers with it. We enjoyed the several cruises we've booked on NCL including 2X on NCL Pride of America, the only US flagged cruise ship.

Oceana bundles it's air, shore excursions and touts a 2 for 1 pricing scheme that emphasizes elegant fine dining options fashioned by legendary Master Chef Jacques Pépin. They say they are a 5 star line and want to attract a demographic that might be sailing on Seaborn or Crystal or willing to pay for higher end suites on most lines.

RCCL has a classic family vacation theme, advertises it on TV heavily and talks all the time about the neat stuff for the family on our huge ships (biggest in the world).

Disney Cruise line is, frankly, in a world of it's own, obviously featuring Disney themes for families who have the money to pay for their high end cruises.

MSC is a European line with a predominantly European demographic offering affordable cruises with not a lot of frills or fanfare. They are what they are. A cruise line that is a subsidiary of one of the major shipping companies in the world.

Industry wide, a couple of things worth noting that apply to this discussion. Every cruise line competes like mad for market share. Cruising is big business and there is a ton of money to be had from the traveling consumer. So too is it a strongly profit driven over consumer satisfaction business, especially so in the last 7-10 years.

There is a constant tight rope walk for these lines trying to compete, make a lot of money for share holders and keep customers coming in the front door to buy cruises and importantly coming back (cultivate brand loyalty). If you're a long time cruiser, you'll see the changes in food quality, ratio of staff per passenger, offered amenities, loyalty programs, cabin pricing, the cost of and shift to specialty dining and so forth. It's been an interesting ride for us but still a lot of fun and a great way to travel around and see the world.

Finally, Carnival is a great cruise line offering very good pricing and has really stepped up it's game as far as the quality of the cruise experience it is offering. It's rather like Avis when Hertz was #1. They are successfully marketing their brand, delivering a quality cruise experience at lower prices and gaining market share doing all of that. I would not hesitate to cruise Carnival consistent with the value shopper I am if the price and itinerary were right. But Celebrity is home to us and that is why we keep coming back to them.

Edited by jbuch02

Hello Linda,

And welcome from PV! We don't live here, yet, but soon...

We prefer Celebrity, but I also want to mix it up with fun ships. For those thinking of trying Carnival for the first time, I would recommend the Fall for mellow passengers, not too much shorter than a week. Just like choosing a hotel, don't go into the Holiday Inn with Embassy Suite expectations, but both can be the right choice based on price and location.

The new "Journey" repo cruises offer extra entree's, enrichment classes, and retro entertainment. With an age demographic closer to Celebrity, these cruises are basically upgraded a bit with HAL or Celebrity type features.

On Celebrity, a crew member will greet you at the end of th line and carry your tray for you to an open table, then ask if there is anything else he can get you--beverages, forgotten silverware, condiments, etc. On RCCL, once you find your table, a crew member is right there to ask you what else he can get you. On Carnival, you need to search ard for a table in the overcrowded buffet, likely find one that hasn't even been cleared or wiped off, then leave your food and go back out again to find the drink station etc. Absolutely no help or service in the buffet area...

Well, since it's been revisited, I just want to say that on our most recent X cruise, the above description of service does not exist at all--they have followed the Carnival example. No trays, no help unless you are obviously in need (in a wheelchair, on crutches, etc.) and no help at all from staff with drinks, condiments etc. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

I have sailed numerous X cruises over the years and when I first started (the Galaxy), those things you mentioned did occur. I don't remember when they stopped those services, but for the last 3 or 4 cruises there has not been any staff waiting to carry your tray (no more trays anyway) and take you to a table. No trays, just plates so you wind up juggling 2 plates and your silverware trying to navigate different stations (S Class) and then find a table.

Our conclusion would be is that the more different cruise lines we sail the more they seem alike, the similarities out weigh the differences. Over all we had a wonderful experience with Celebrity, the ship appeared to be less crowded than Carnival and the no announcement policy was nice. I would not hesitate to sail on either cruiseline. My experience doesn’t depend on décor or what others wear. I think each cruise is different and is going to be what you make of it. :D

Linda

Great review, Linda!

We've also cruised Carnival and had a good time. We found Carnival to be too noisy for us, but we tons of fun. I don't get the "Carnival is the Walmart of cruiselines" thing. You choose a cruise based on what it offers that appeals to you personally.

Carnival provides a better cruise experience than many people think. Been on Carnival twice to Europe and had great vacations. Very nice people, good food, and very good entertainment at the bars, which makes for pleasant pre-dinner cocktails

I just read a very fair and balanced review of Carnival Fantasy from a gentlemen who travels solo and has a lot of cruise experience. If you go to Carnival Fantasy on the Member Review section you'll find it. Interesting.

It seems that despite upgrades, the older Carnival ships have trouble keeping up with the emerging trends that are in full swing with newer cruise ships regardless which cruise line it is. I've found that true with Celbrity's M class ships. But for Celebrity, to me, the differences between the S and M classe ships are minor nits but they are usually based on older systems, layouts and technology that's on the S class ships but not on the M class ships.

In my limited experience with Carnival, I've found that it's true that the older ships are a little tired even though crew works hard and service is still Carnival good. We sailed inspiration a few years ago out of Tampa and while it was a good time, that experience kept us away for a while until we tried Breeze, a newer ship that is able to take full advantage of the FunShip 2.0 upgrades, which we really enjoyed with our grand kids.

I'd defer to folks with more experience on Carnivals older ships to either recommend or discourage cruises on them because they are very nicely priced and if all your looking for is a quick trip away, I can see benefit there.

Edited by jbuch02