Camp Carnival I have lots of questions!

Viper

Been on a few cruises but this is the first time bringing the kids....kinda nervous... They are 5 (boy) & 8 (girl)

Do they have sea sick medicine for little ones?

When they are in Camp Carnival how do we communicate? Do they give us a pager or walkie talkies?

Are there certain activities we will have to pay for separately?

Carnival states the age group are like 2-5 and 6-11 or something I think my son who is 5 will want to be with the bigger kids and his sister will they allow us to keep the kids together?

Any other good tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I'll answer the ones I know from recent experience on Sensation & Inspiration.

Been on a few cruises but this is the first time bringing the kids....kinda nervous... They are 5 (boy) & 8 (girl)

Do they have sea sick medicine for little ones?

Pretty sure you'll have to administer all medications yourself.

When they are in Camp Carnival how do we communicate? Do they give us a pager or walkie talkies?

Pagers

Are there certain activities we will have to pay for separately?

Optional late night slumber parties, Build-a-bear

Carnival states the age group are like 2-5 and 6-11 or something I think my son who is 5 will want to be with the bigger kids and his sister will they allow us to keep the kids together?

They're normally pretty rigid regarding age groupings, but you could try.

Any other good tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Hi Viper - We've sailed with our sons (now 16, 11 and 7- turning 8 on our next cruise) since the youngest was 4. They will give you a pager for the 2-5 group, but not generally for the older kids. There are some "extra" activities - if you want to do the "build a bear" workshop, I think it's an extra $20. There are also a couple of late night parties that cost extra (but that takes the place of babysitting, which is an extra cost each night after 10 p.m.)

The age groups are 2-5, 6-8 and 9-11. If your 5 YO is close to 6 and there aren't a lot of kids on board, they MAY allow your 5 YO to move up. It depends on the CC director, the number of kids, etc. For our next cruise (2 weeks!) our 11 YO turns 12 two weeks after we return and he already understands that he will probably be in the 9-11 group.

Overall, we've had great experiences with Camp Carnival and have never had any worries about leaving our kids with the counselors. They have lots of good activities and take great care of the kids.

If your kids want to stay together wait until you drop them off to ask the counselor on duty if they can be kept in the same group. If you try to ask during registration they'll tell you it can't be done. My then 5 year old son wanted to stay with his 3 year old cousin and 2 year old sister. I believe the age group was 2 to 4. We just asked nicely at the door when we brought them over and it wasn't a problem.

Bring your own meds. The ship may have dramamine but if the weather's bad it runs out quickly, plus dramamine could put an elephant to sleep!

I always bring Bonine with me. It's non-drowsy and comes in a chewable formula so it's easy for kids to take. However, you might find that your kids are not affected by the waves. But bring it just in case!

We've been sailing with our kiddos for many years. The other posters pretty much nailed your questions right on the head! The only thing I will add about using Camp Carnival is to be sure you understand the check-in / check-out process.

The parent who signs the child in is the parent who needs to sign out the child. So, what DH & I would do is both sign in the children so that either one of us could sign out the children.

It never fails ... each cruise I overhear parents complaining and pleading regarding this process. So, to avoid hurt feelings and confusion, I just wanted to give you a heads up!

Usually moving down and age group isn't a problem. Moving up can be. Like others have said - it all depends on how many in each age group and even on the disposition of those in charge :rolleyes: .

Only things that will cost are after hours activities and the build a bear.

As long as they have extra beepers you can get one for the older groups.

Since I have this question about Camp Carnival and dinner, I thought I'd tag on to this post as it might help you too. Hope you don't mind, Viper.

We took our kids on a cruise with us about 4 years ago and I remember being some sort of issue with Camp Carnival and dinner times. Something like if you have early seating dinner, Camp is closed up until dinner so if you are not taking kids to dinner with you, you will be late for dinner because you have to wait for Camp to open to drop off your kids. It was something like that. Has anybody else experienced anything kind of goofy like that with dinner times and camp and with camp dinner times.

We are talking another cruise with our kids and I just want to be prepared. I can't believe I can't remember the issue exactly, but then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

"As I recall" Camp closes down at about 5 and reopens around 7.

If you plan to eat dinner with your children you will want to pick early dining because if you pick late they won't get to spend the time in camp from 7 until dinner is done - then camp shuts down for free time and you start to pay after 10.

If you plan not to eat with your kids then you need to select late dining. You can drop the kids off before dinner (feeding them at the lido) and then have time to change and go to dinner.

"As I recall" Camp closes down at about 5 and reopens around 7.

If you plan to eat dinner with your children you will want to pick early dining because if you pick late they won't get to spend the time in camp from 7 until dinner is done - then camp shuts down for free time and you start to pay after 10.

If you plan not to eat with your kids then you need to select late dining. You can drop the kids off before dinner (feeding them at the lido) and then have time to change and go to dinner.

Not entirely correct.

On the Triumph last week, Camp Carnival closed down at 4:45 each day. Then at 5:45 CC had dinner for the kids at the buffet. Dinner for them ended at 6:45 and then they went to their activities after that until 10. Then the slumber parties with fees. 6.00 for first child, 4.00 for second. Per hour.

ALSO-- Pagers are only issued for kids 5 and under. If you have a child over that age, no pager. We had two way radios, and I gave one to my daughter and kept the other one. (she never called)

They will have a blast.

--one of our friends had kids 5 and 7. the age groups are 2-5, 6-8, 9-11. They would NOT budge on the age groups. Although it may have been that there were a large number of kids on our sailing. over 600 total.

We brought Ginger root pills to use for the kids for seasickness. They are all natural and no side effects. Worked great--(or maybe the kids just don't get seasick)

Not entirely correct.

On the Triumph last week, Camp Carnival closed down at 4:45 each day. Then at 5:45 CC had dinner for the kids at the buffet. Dinner for them ended at 6:45 and then they went to their activities after that until 10. Then the slumber parties with fees. 6.00 for first child, 4.00 for second. Per hour.

ALSO-- Pagers are only issued for kids 5 and under. If you have a child over that age, no pager. We had two way radios, and I gave one to my daughter and kept the other one. (she never called)

They will have a blast.

--one of our friends had kids 5 and 7. the age groups are 2-5, 6-8, 9-11. They would NOT budge on the age groups. Although it may have been that there were a large number of kids on our sailing. over 600 total.

We brought Ginger root pills to use for the kids for seasickness. They are all natural and no side effects. Worked great--(or maybe the kids just don't get seasick)

Just wanted to pile on... above poster is right... closes at 4:45 and reopens at 5:45 for dinner on Lido. We purposely choose late seating (8PM) so that the kids (ages 5 and 7) don't have to suffer thru a 90 minute dinner with us in the dining room (maybe it's that WE don't want to suffer thru 90 minutes of sitting in the dining room with them!). Typically we will either take them to join their friends for dinner at 5:45, or if we are doing stuff during the day and running late we will take them to dinner on Lido ourselves and then drop them off at Camp Carnival before our dinner. Either way it's been better for all of us since we started doing the late dinner... the kids get to spend some time with their friends and we can have some kid-free time for ourselves. NOTE: Please do not take this as a poo-poo to those who bring their kids to the dining room. We have taken our kids to the dining room many, many times in the past and can relate to those who bring their kids with them every night. Good for those who choose to do so, and know that you will NEVER catch me glaring at a table because a child is getting cranky after sitting in those chairs for an hour plus. Been there, done that, and know the feeling.

Age groups... they have been pretty rigid with us as well with the only exception we've noted being on the Glory and the Conquest. Again, they told us right off the bat that our kids would be separated, and that's not a problem for us. On these two ships the 2-5 play area is simply partitioned off from the 6-8's area. If I remember right, you drop them off at different doors, but we've seen a couple times where the partition was opened up and the kids were migling under the watchful eye of the conselors. No worries... it wasn't like the 2 year olds were fighting for a spot on the video games with the 8 year olds... it looked to us that the kids that were in the middle ages of 5-7 were getting a chance to play together at foos ball, board games, etc.

While we have never had a problem with motion sickness with the kids, I did proactively give our 7 y/o some chewable Bonine this last trip when the seas were bothering my wife (and yes, even I was feeling the effects of ship movement). I figured anything that's chewable will work... yeah, Bonine says not to give to a kid less than 12, but I figured I would take my chances with it rather than deal with a "barfy" child all day.

Joe

Another tip... if, when looking at the Camp Carnival "Caper", you see an activity that says "possible face painting activity", don't send you kids to camp with a white/light colored shirt on. While the face paint comes off their faces with a warm washcloth, the same cannot be said for their clothes (gasp!). Learned this the hard way. The colored face paints come out pretty easy, but the black/browns are a bear. We've started to carry a small 1oz. bottle of detergent (the one-load sample size, available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc) to pre-treat the kids shirts when this happens. Tide Stick didn't seem to work, and using the soap in the cabin to wash the stuff in the sink is a hassle (yeah, I tried that on a dress once).

I guess things have changed since mine went to Camp. They did however give me a pager for my son (he was 12) - but he is special needs so I'm sure that is why.

They still do that. During our orientation, they said that if you have a special needs child, or have concerns, pagers MAY be available. This is all based on demand. They give them to 2-5 first, special needs second, and then concerned parents last.

Our kids had the greatest time at camp. We could hardly get them away. Even on port days that's where they wanted to be.

Since I have this question about Camp Carnival and dinner, I thought I'd tag on to this post as it might help you too. Hope you don't mind, Viper.

We took our kids on a cruise with us about 4 years ago and I remember being some sort of issue with Camp Carnival and dinner times. Something like if you have early seating dinner, Camp is closed up until dinner so if you are not taking kids to dinner with you, you will be late for dinner because you have to wait for Camp to open to drop off your kids. It was something like that. Has anybody else experienced anything kind of goofy like that with dinner times and camp and with camp dinner times.

We are talking another cruise with our kids and I just want to be prepared. I can't believe I can't remember the issue exactly, but then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

We have had this issue on a couple of our cruises. Our preferred dining time is 6:15, but on three of our cruises (Conquest, Legend and Liberty) the dining time we received was 5:45 (there is no 6:15 on Legend). One of us would take the two younger kids up to the Lido Deck restaurant to get signed into Camp Carnival while the other one and our oldest son went to the dining room - that way the staff knew we were coming to dinner and could get started with drink orders, at least. (After 25 years of marriage, we can easily order drinks for each other.:p) Usually, our kids split their time between the dining room and dinner with Camp Carnival - they really like the dining room, but they like time with the other kids, too.

If you need dosages for bonine, just call your pediatrician. We just called the office and said we were going on a cruise and they gave us the info. Camp Carnival is fun. There are lots of things to do as a family also. Have a good time!!

My 2 cents, from our experiences with the age groups. It depends on 2 things

if you can move your child. One is the number of kids on board and ratio to camp crew. Two the manner of kindness you use with the camp crew and mood they are in. We had luck the one time as the camp worker was on the same ship we were on 8 months earlier.

Thanks for all the great information on Camp Carnival! We will be cruising witho ur 5 kids in July...ages 15, 13, 11, 6, and 3. So far we are signed up for the early dinner. We took the kids to dinner last nite....on the early side of 6....our daughter who is 3 was NOT being an angel....once her food got there her angel wings slowly came back. I am worried that we will not be able to totally enjoy dinner with our two younger ones....they like to work against each other. I can only imagine how tired kids are at the end of the day...maybe we will do dinner with them a couple times. Do they let a 3 and 5 year old go to the Lido with camp carnival? Do they help them get their food? Our older kids are wonderful at dinner, and they all excited to get dressed up.

Thanks!!

Sandi

Thanks for all the great information on Camp Carnival! We will be cruising witho ur 5 kids in July...ages 15, 13, 11, 6, and 3. So far we are signed up for the early dinner. We took the kids to dinner last nite....on the early side of 6....our daughter who is 3 was NOT being an angel....once her food got there her angel wings slowly came back. I am worried that we will not be able to totally enjoy dinner with our two younger ones....they like to work against each other. I can only imagine how tired kids are at the end of the day...maybe we will do dinner with them a couple times. Do they let a 3 and 5 year old go to the Lido with camp carnival? Do they help them get their food? Our older kids are wonderful at dinner, and they all excited to get dressed up.

Thanks!!

Sandi

The 2-5 group can have dinner with Camp Carnival - our son went when he was 4. The staff does help the kids with the food - I don't think they let the kids roam the buffet, but they have several choices for them.

If you bring the kids to the dining room, your wait staff can bring the kids' meals earlier, while you're having your appetizer. The menu booklets also have coloring pages and puzzles.

If you need dosages for bonine, just call your pediatrician. We just called the office and said we were going on a cruise and they gave us the info. Camp Carnival is fun. There are lots of things to do as a family also. Have a good time!!

You must have a nicer pediatrician than mine. LOL When I called they said they only recommended dramamine...which the pharmacist told me would totally knock my kids out. *sigh* I know they have a bonine for kids...but it's not a 24 hour med like the adult version. Not sure how sleepy that makes the user...

When we took our kids on their first cruise, our pediatrician recommended Bonine for Kids. That is what he gives his 3 children when they cruise or fly. For children 6-12 its one tablet every 6-8 hours. Our youngest was 4 when we cruised - he took a half a tablet. It didn't make either of my kids sleepy.

Thank you for all the great info...

So the kids have how many "formal nights" and do all the kids dress up?? Dont want my kids to feel left out but It just seems like sooo many clothes to bring!

Do the kids spend a lot of time outside in Camp Carnival?? Or are they "couped" up inside most of the time?

I am cruising the Paradise on 5/26-30 with 18, 17, 13 and 7yo kids. Our dinner is at 6:15. I can change this if I need to. I want my 7yo to be able to join Camp Carnival for dinner if she chooses.

So, is the CC dinner always 5:45? And CC would keep them until 10pm or would we have to pick up/drop off after CC dinner and before evening CC?

My daughter is very quiet and I would not worry about her in the dining room with us in that respect. What I do worry about is her and her older brother argueing and her picky eating. She would me much happier with CC!! :D

Thank you for all the great info...

So the kids have how many "formal nights" and do all the kids dress up?? Dont want my kids to feel left out but It just seems like sooo many clothes to bring!

Do the kids spend a lot of time outside in Camp Carnival?? Or are they "couped" up inside most of the time?

The number of formal nights depends on the length of the trip. Formal night is not separate for kids. They are either with you, or up on th elido deck with the other kids in camp.

Depending on the age group, they are all over the ship. Our girls were in the 6-8 group, and they spent time all over. Had a blast.

Archived