Shot for Rolex on Margarita

coffin dodger

Thanks CB. ;)

Hope it was a genuine Rolex.

Bit of a b u m m e r if it had been a fake.

On Arcadia a female passenger wa mugged in the Caribbean. We saw the husband getting off the ship before it sailed. The Arcadia didn't wait. as we were island hopping I guess they copuld have reboarded on the next island.

Bit of a b u m m e r if it had been a fake.

Especially for the two muggers who probably face life in prison for what potentially could have been a worthless bit of tat:eek:

Must spare a thought though for the family of the policeman who was killed

Cb

When ashore I wear a $5 watch on a plastic strap and Mrs Kane leaves the jewellry in the safe in the cabin.

Don't own a fancy camera. Tend to dress down, unless going to a fancy restaurant for lunch (Spain/Italy/South of France) and taking a taxi gangway to front door.

Saw a very good suggestion about having a wallet with a few dollars in it and a out-of-date credit card to hand to a would be robber.

"Mugging" is not a term that I approve of as it implies in all cases that the victim is at fault. ""Mugging" is a term for actors and entertainers (with a different meaning)!

The "best" part in the article on The Sun is when he says: “I’m upset about the watch – but it’s insured, so we’ll get another one.

One police officer dead...

Another officer critically injured...

...and he is upset about the darn watch?!!!

How about sparing a thought for the police officer who died and for the one critically injured? Particularly since they were trying to arrest the man who shot him and the accomplice.

I note that The Sun barely mentions them... but it's ok: as they are foreigners, they do not count in the Tabloid world... :mad:

Oh, but then, everything is gonna be a-ok because he is insured, he'll get another one (I hope as soon as it gets the new watch he drops it and it smashes to pieces...)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(Needless to say, I am happy he survived and he's ok, and probably the Sun decided to pick and choose what to write... but when somebody dies, you do not give 1/4 of a toss about any financial loss you suffered...)

"Mugging" is not a term that I approve of as it implies in all cases that the victim is at fault. ""Mugging" is a term for actors and entertainers (with a different meaning)!

Mugging (def) An assault upon a person especially with the intent to rob.

Why on earth would you not approve of this word? The definition of the word has no implication that the victim is at fault.

My Compact Oxford English Dictionary has several entries for 'mug' and its forms. The first has three entries for the word as a noun, and includes a) a drinking vessel; b) a person's face; and c) a gullible person. Then, as a verb (and using the forms mugs, mugging, mugged) it gives the definitions: a) 'attack and rob somebody' b) 'make faces in front of a camera of audience'. Then another entry is one for a verb (including the forms mugs, mugging, mugged, 'mug something up'): ' learn or revise a subject quickly and intensively'. So by that definition I reckon that Mr Stourton was definitely mugged.

As for the apparent callousness of his comment about getting the watch replaced: it is always possible that when he made that comment he didn't know about the killing of the police officer. After all, Mr Stourton was himself shot and rushed to hospital, patched up & discharged very quickly, and all in a foreign country where there may have been language barriers. So as I say, he may not known about the tragic outcome.

OK, an ancient and dusty dictionary should be solve the controversy...

"Mugging: /ˈmʌgthinsp.pngɪŋ/ [muhg-ing] :

(1) the act of converting a person into a mug. A coffee mug more often, because tea is better served in china cups.

(2) Incorrect spelling of Mooging, which means either hitting a person with a Moog synthetizer or driving your neighbour to desperation by playing incessantly 'It's a small world after all' on a Moog synthetizer (at which point the neighbour usually resorts to the first definition of Mooging

(3) The act of depriving a person of something valuable - This definition does not derive from mug but from the famous chief Muggo the Barbarian, who with his little brother Muggo Jerry, would usually grab his victim and subject them to the infamous onion torture, where he would eat fifteen raw onions and then having a face-to-face conversation with the aforesaid victim. Whenever the victim complained or looked like he was going to faint, Muggo the Barbarian would then do a lovely jig on the prisoner's toes, whilst wearing Dutch clogs with steel reinforced soles. Few people would be able to withstand more than 3 hours of such treatment, at the end of which usually their hair would have fallen off or would have turned a nice shade of green and they would be just a shadow of their former selves, not unlikely the Gollum of the Tolkien Sagas, and would spend the rest of their lives cowering under multi-branched saguaro cacti. Usually, passers-by, would glance on to the unfortunate mortals and say 'It really looks like you have been Mugged, matey!!', whence the expression was transponded into common usage"

It is simple, really!

:cool:

Perhaps now you realise its not a one way process!!

I live 10 miles away from this guy,I can assure you no element of police or community action would resolve this issue, lucky not to have died even in Wales.

Small town in Hampshire,against a small violent city in Wales, no comparison!

$5 watch in Swansea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mrs Kane saved jewellery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't come to Wales!

Perhaps again please do

When ashore I wear a $5 watch on a plastic strap and Mrs Kane leaves the jewellry in the safe in the cabin.

Don't own a fancy camera. Tend to dress down, unless going to a fancy restaurant for lunch (Spain/Italy/South of France) and taking a taxi gangway to front door.

Saw a very good suggestion about having a wallet with a few dollars in it and a out-of-date credit card to hand to a would be robber.

Anti crime partnership such as Neighbourhood Watch is very commendable ,it helps many communities.

If you have Pact meetings in your area with your local police force ,go along to these and put your views forward.

If you don,t have Pact meeting ,ask about them at your local police station.:)

I saw it on the news...Poor chap, but he was a chipper lad, got patched up and continued the cruise. NEW SUBJECT: Does P&O taktePounds, Euros, Or American Dollars ??? Is their a limit o thew amount one may bring back from the US in the form of shopping items ???

If I could just jump in here please.

There is no such term in law as 'Mugging' It is straight forward 'Robbery' as is 'Vandalism' doesn't exist and should be called 'Criminal Damage' It's the use of common terms that devalues the crime.

Retired Cop

• 2 weeks later...
If I could just jump in here please.

There is no such term in law as 'Mugging' It is straight forward 'Robbery' as is 'Vandalism' doesn't exist and should be called 'Criminal Damage' It's the use of common terms that devalues the crime.

Retired Cop

Hello Smithcvs

I am going to be moving to your part of the world shortly thought I would say hello.

OK, folks, enough discussion about each other. Let's stay on topic. (I have removed a number of posts that are totally unrelated to the discussion at hand.

Oh, and if anyone wants to discuss Board administrative policies feel free to contact me by email. Alternatively feel free to contact our Community Manager (community@cruisecritic.com). We will not discuss our policies or how they are implemented on the Boards.

Archived