Toys for 2 year old

sabound

We leave for our trip in just under two weeks and thought I would see if I was forgetting anything or if anyone had suggestions of toys they found helpful or captivating while travelling.

Toys for 28 month old little girl

Cardboard puzzles

Magic slate

Travel Aquadoodle

Travel Prodoodle

Color wonder markers & book

Crayons & paper

Sticker book

Paint by water book

Paperback books

CPK Sprouts & my little ponies

Playdough

Imagenetics Mr. Potato Head

Pipe Cleaners & beads to make bracelets (I know seems advanced but she does it at art class & loves it)

Lacing cards

Finger puppets

Sesame street DVD & Little Mermaid

Fisher Price FP3 player with kid songs

Things for on the go in stroller – toy cell phone, random little bendy animals, toy necklaces

I know this seems like a lot of items, but our travel days have 12 plus hours due to overnight flights and layovers and we will be in the boat for 18 days and there are 8 days at sea. Some of these toys obviously will be brought out as needed “new toys”

Thanks for any other ideas.

Personally, I would cut out play-doh. It is way too messy and smelly. If you feel you need modeling clay, I would use the crayola modeling clay instead. I don't know if I would risk beads too. I have a 6yr old who still can knock over a bunch of beads. That is just my opinion though. How about some colorforms? They are really light to travel with and my daughter used to love thoses. They also have a lot of magnetic dolls you can dress them but they are a little heavier to carry around. I also suggest lots of thin lightweight paperback books - new ones that she has never read before. You could probably buy a lot on Ebay for real cheap.

Does she know how to play Memory yet? That is a simple game to play and bring along. Put the cards in a ziplock instead of bringing the whole box. Have you considered a My First Leap Pad? It states 3-5yrs old but I have found it is much better suited for 2 and 3yr olds. For a trip as long as yours it might be worth looking in to. I would also look into Big Busy Books for Preschoolers. You can buy it or look thru it and similar books at the library to give you ideas for simple games with everyday objects. Might come in handy when the toys get tiring.

Hope these ideas help some - have a great trip!

I would go minimal. Plan for occupying time on the airplane only, and then pack a few puzzles and blocks into the suitcase. That should be enough to get you thru

If you are not flying then bring a few things that you can rotate while you are in the room.

You will probably be out and about more often than you will spend in your cabin. I would say, if you can being just enough to occupy an hour of playtime, that should be plenty.

Otherwise, let the ship be your baby's playground.

We leave for our trip in just under two weeks and thought I would see if I was forgetting anything or if anyone had suggestions of toys they found helpful or captivating while travelling.

Toys for 28 month old little girl

Cardboard puzzles

Magic slate

Travel Aquadoodle

Travel Prodoodle

Color wonder markers & book

Crayons & paper

Sticker book

Paint by water book

Paperback books

CPK Sprouts & my little ponies

Playdough

Imagenetics Mr. Potato Head

Pipe Cleaners & beads to make bracelets (I know seems advanced but she does it at art class & loves it)

Lacing cards

Finger puppets

Sesame street DVD & Little Mermaid

Fisher Price FP3 player with kid songs

Things for on the go in stroller – toy cell phone, random little bendy animals, toy necklaces

I know this seems like a lot of items, but our travel days have 12 plus hours due to overnight flights and layovers and we will be in the boat for 18 days and there are 8 days at sea. Some of these toys obviously will be brought out as needed “new toys”

Thanks for any other ideas.

Other mothers have suggest shopping goodwill or the used toy store to purchase some toys to take along. The benefit in doing this is that the toys are new to the child and also cheap enough that they can be tossed if necessary.

Personally, I think your list looks great. I brought way more stuff than I needed, but it gave my piece of mind and frankly did not take up a lot of space.

And this is just my opinion, but playdough was a lifesaver for us! He loves it and (again, just MO), it is not smelly at all!

I brought lots of little things and then wrapped a bunch of "bigger" stuff in tissue paper (many layers) and gave him 1 or 2 presents each day, usually to open at dinner. The opening of the present was entertainment for him...but he always came back to that darn playdough!

Ditto on the PlayDoh! I always bought the really small containers that they offer for parties and then took a piece of paper made some very basic shapes (triangle, sqare, house, astrisk, etc.) and challenged my DD to make them one at a time - snack treat when she had finished all of them! It was a great game for on the plane or on a train. I also had a "keychain" game of Mr. Potato Head and Barrel of Monkeys -- VERY small parts so it was only a supervised activity but she LOVED Mr Potato head and making impressions of the monkeys in the playdoh was great fun.

For on board see if you can find one of those balls with the elastic attached, you can shorten the elastic and then hook the one end around your wrist or a chair leg in a somewhat out-of-the way place and she can roll and bounce the ball without a lot of your running after it and/or any threat of it getting lost.

She's 12YO now and I kind of miss those days when a couple of trinkets from the dollar store were such a great treat in her eyes (now I drop $30.00 on some new Nintendo DS game or something!)

Archived