Luggage tags are wrong

sally r

We upgraded recently and our luggage tags have the wrong cabin number. We are arriving directly at the pier by private transportation. How do I handle this?

I am just changing the cabin number on them but DH says they read the barcode on the tags, too?

Suggestions or past experiences appreciated.

I don't know what they would be scanning for, but you can always put a line through the barcode so it won't scan and then they are forced to do it manually. Just make sure you mark the line in the same direction as the barcode lines. Lines across the barcode don't always work.

My wife and I did the same thing. We upgraded our cabin after we got our luggage tags. We put a line through the old cabin number and wrote in the new cabin number. All of our luggage arrived to the new cabin except for one. We talked with our cabin steward about the missing bag and he suggested to go to the old cabin that we originally had. Well we did what he suggested and like he said our bag was right outside the door of our old cabin.

I hope this helps.

My guess is that the bar code does not simply have your cabin number on it, that would be a waste of information, since that is indicated on the tag. Most likely the bar code is your folio number, and scanning the tag will show what your real, up to the minute room number is. So if you check your bags upon entering the terminal, then when you check in you decide to do an upgrade, they can find what room you are in when the luggage tags show the now wrong cabin number.

So I wouldn't scratch thru the bar code, but simply scratch thru the cabin number and write the correct one.

Just a note, mark BOTH SIDES of the luggage tags! We upgraded after receiving our docs and at the pier they only marked one side. Some of our luggage took a tour of the ship! We saw it on the luggage cart on our floor, then poof it disappeared. Turns out they then read the other side and sent it to the other cabin. They said it wasn't theirs and sent it back. It finally ended up at the pursers desk, our steward had to go get it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If I did get new tags at the pier, where would that be? We are leaving out of Ballantyne in Vancouver, BC. I imagine a porter would know?

We are on a 22 day back to back and I really, really don't want to lose my luggage!

With RCCL now doing a lot of Internet based tickets, many passengers do not have pre-printed luggage tags, and are easily available at the pier. We had to get blank luggage tags our last cruise at the pier, and it was quite simple.

But now I am pretty curious about the Barcode, and what it is actaully used for. Anyone know for sure?

re: barcode

We are on a back to back so have two sets of luggage tags. Same ship, different booking numbers and sail dates. Bar codes are different on each set of tags.

If this helps any with the barcode mystery.

Archived