Passport for repositioning cruise

xranger39@aol.com

If a ship never stops in a non-US port, then there is no need to clear Immigration and Customs, and, therefore, no need for a passport. However, if a ship sailed only between US ports, that would be illegal and the cruise line would be fined.

For example, for legal compliance, our 15 day San Diego to Hawaii RT in December stops at 11 PM for an hour in Ensenada, Mexico. Passengers will never leave the ship, but we will have to do the whole customs and immigration thing when we get to San Diego the next morning.

In short, check the repo cruise itinerary. Chances are it visits some non-US islands on the way from San Juan to the US which means possession of a passport will be required.

Art

I know that a passport isn't required for the Galaxy's Baltimore to San Juan repositioning, though I hear that it's easier dealing with both US customs (in St. Thomas, our next US port after being at our one foreign port), and with the Dutch and French authorities on St. Maarten. Still, all will take a birth certificate and photo ID in lieu of a passport. Out of all of our ports on that cruise (Baltimore, Charleston, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan), only one is outside of the US.

If you don't have a passport, then a birth certificate and valid, government-issued photo ID will do just fine.

San Juan is a US territory and part of the Caribbean. You really don't need to worry about getting a passport unless you're hitting Europe, etc. --- though, I'd still suggest getting one.

For about $90, you get something that lasts ten years and is a LOT more durable than that flimsy slab of paper that reproductions of the birth certificate are made on.

I would not go without a passport...infact, the repositioning cruise we took required one. We stopped in several Mexican ports, Columbia, Costa Rico and a passport was required. Infact, Alaska didn't require one but flying into Vancouver and going through customs in Vancouver was a lot easier with a passport.

Archived