Carnival Portobelo Pirates Paradise mom w/ kids

girlfriendtoo

My intention was to just shop at the pier (since hubby will be fishing) as the reviews and comments of Panama are not that inspiring.

I have 13 days left and am reconsidering by taking the Carnival Portobelo Pirates tour so that my kids (12 and 9) can learn first hand by about Panama.

I don't expect to be blown away, as a matter of fact, the only part I am looking forward to is the possiblity of getting a bracelet like TallyRockChick's :rolleyes:.

1. Should I be worried about safety?

2. Should I stick with my original plan?

Thanks

Just returned from Panama less than two weeks ago with Carnival. We opted to stay at the port and shop, and really regretted the decision. We were at the port 2 years ago, and a lot of the shops that were open then are now empty. There really wasn't much to look at. The prices were almost double for the same things that we had seen the day before in Costa Rica.

The cab drivers and the shop people were very pushy. The drivers just about mob you begging to take you on a tour. At one point, the security gaurd had to come and chase them away from us. We really wish we had taken a tour this time.

Also, if you are going to Costa Rica, do your shopping there by the port. They have a lot more to pick from and the prices are much cheaper.

BillsBlasters,

I have decided to go on this trip. Thanks for your response. Panama is our first stop, Costa Rica our second, so I appreciate your knowledge.

MedicsAngel,

We are are leaving on the Miracle 2/19, in 11 days !!:). I'll respond in this forum about the excursion when we return

BillsBlasters,

I have decided to go on this trip. Thanks for your response. Panama is our first stop, Costa Rica our second, so I appreciate your knowledge.

MedicsAngel,

We are are leaving on the Miracle 2/19, in 11 days !!:). I'll respond in this forum about the excursion when we return

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Okay we are back! We really enjoyed the tour but friends with us did not. We are history buffs and that is why we enjoyed the tour portabello it has alot of history. Also once with left Colon which was nothing to see, the country side for the most part was beautiful as were the seaside villages and we got alot of pictures. We really liked our tour guide he was very knowledgeable and also even though the canal wasn't part of the tour he brought maps and gave a lesson about it on the trip back. Some recommandations:

Go to the bathroom before you leave the ship, clean facilities are not available.

This tour is not for children under 12 unless they like history it will not keep there attention and at the fort a child on our tour got hurt because there are no protective barriers and his parents weren't watching him and he fell.

This tour is not for those who are not use to walking a few eldery people on our tour complained to our tour guide that there was too much walking.

I did get a bracelet like TallyRockChick, actually I got 2.

Alot of Souveniors available in Portobello that were the same and Cheaper than in Colon.

It was sad to see the poverty in this country and lack of sanitary facilities. The city and even country road sides were piled with trash.

I would recommand staying a way from the stores in port they didn't offer much and were pricey, except for Panama Gem if you are looking for Emeralds, that had some nice pieces.

Would we go back, yes, but only to cruise through the Canal, and only after the expansion is over. And also maybe to see Panama City our tour guide was from there and he said it's much different than Colon.

Archived