Transportation to Hawaii Shark Encounters

CabinForFour

We have a 7 AM reservation with Hawaii Shark Encounters for six of our group members. I know that we could rent a minivan and drive ourselves, but I'm concerned about getting lost since we must be prompt. From quotes seen online, it appears that the cost for a taxi would be about $75 one way. HSE will pick us up for $40 per person (total of $240 for our group), which seems steep. Any suggestions from those who have done it?

I would rent a car...Haleiwa is small, and we had no problems finding HSE...even in the pre-dawn darkness. If you call them they will give you very detailed driving directions....plus, with a rental car you could tour other north shore locations, or stop at the Dole plantation on your way back to HNL.

I agree! I think it only took us an hour to get to the North Shore from Waikiki. We gave ourselves plenty of time (just in case we got lost), however you basically just follow the highway and you're there! It wasn't hard to find at all. I think we ended up with an hour to spare so we just wandered around the shops... although at that time everything was closed except for a little supermarket.

When we finished we just jumped back in the car and drove around the island stopping at the lookouts, beaches, Chinamans Hat, Macadamia Nut Farm etc etc! Great fun!

The rental company will have all the maps etc for you. I think our car was booked through Hertz, and we didn't realise until we we dropped the car off that there were coupons for the different attractions around the island in the glove compartment. So if you hire a car, be sure to check that out!

All the best, and have a great time on the dive! Be sure to take your camera so you can get plenty of pictures of the sharks coming up to eat the bait they put in the water!

Archived