Airline 2nd Bag Charge

CorbinCatFan

With Untied Airline announcing the extra change of $25 for the second bag, what is your strategy.

Just as the fuel surcharge, I'm sure this will expand across the airline industry. We're trying to only take a check bag apiece and maximize the carry on in order to take advantage of the self assist debark. Not sure the DW can thin out her bag.

I will just tick off United as an option to fly with. We have a lot of choice from YYZ or BUF so we are o.k for now.

I wonder what other ways can be thought of to take another dollar, I know they'll come up with some.

Used to be that getting to the destination was part of the fun, it's turned into a hastle to be endured, a means to an end.

Spirit has been charging for ANY checked luggage for at least a year now. Any piece of luggage you check is $10 each way.

Don't mind this when paying a very low amount for the airfare (I have heard Spirit sometimes offers $10 fares) I do mind when it's not a budget airline.

I read this after I posted. But the question remains, if this becomes the rule across the board, how will it effect your next cruise.

I've travelled on our past 5 cruises with my DW and two DD. The number of bags is not a pretty site. I think they take at least one back for beauty products and equipment. I think they would love to have a couple of steamer trunks.

I generally have to pack a good amount of stuff for our group cruises... last cruise I mailed a huge box down, and I'll likely start mailing more and more down. I also take 3 suitcases and my laptop case, so it will be time for me to start reducing as much as I can. Otherwise, I would just pay it... or hope that the other airlines do the same as United and waive the fee for it's platinum members... and then just fly those lines. I understand the need to do this, but I already pay the "overweight" fee :p and now this... oh well, such is life.

As an airline employee, I learned long ago to pack lightly and carry-on if possible. Unless UA can make this work, don't expect other airlines to follow suit. Spirit on the other hand, like other budget airlines make there money in an ala carte method and charge for all the extras including baggage.

Gecko7:)

I don't take more than one suitcase. I learned a long time ago how to pack and save space. I never take more luggage than I can handle all by myself and one bag is about it.

Judy in Michigan

Unfortunately, if I have to fly United (or any other carrier who implements this in the future) on personal travel, I'll have to either pack everything into a single larger suitcase instead of two smaller ones as I currently do. Personally, I have more trouble handling the one larger size than two smaller ones. Otherwise, I'll just have to cough up the extra fee.

When I fly for business, I won't change anything and will just charge the extra fee to my expense report.

I seldom fly United unless for business travel (I think they have our major corporate airline contract). However, I expect the others to follow suit soon so will have to deal with it.

The other concern I have about this is that it will unfortunately encourage more people to carry-on more. Carry-on and the delays caused by people struggling with the it and trying to stuff everything in the overhead bins (heaven forbid they try to use the under seat storage for anything). I wish they had instead implemented a surcharge for carry-ons.

Most of the "major carriers" in the US are in deep financial doodoo. A large part of the reason is because they are inherently inefficient in their business processes and have been getting undercut by the more efficient carriers [like Southwest] for years ... and United, American, et al have been compounding their idiot financial problems by locking up as much of the hangar space and terminal gates at major airports so that the efficient young upstarts can't get them.

Rather than becoming efficient, they throw good money after bad.

And they're trying to get the bad money back by picking your pockets for it.

The smart move is to not use those carriers who start this. Every carrier [including the efficient young upstarts like Southwest] will eventually use it themselves, but if United starts it, take them out of the picture. There's a reason SWA is expanding its routes when UA and AA are cutting back.

I just don't see what the huge deal is here.....it's only $25.00. :confused:

I usually pack one suitcase and one carry on, but if I did have 2, well, I'd just pay up. I go for the lowest airfare....and another $25.00, if need be, isn't going to break the bank.

Most of the "major carriers" in the US are in deep financial doodoo. A large part of the reason is because they are inherently inefficient in their business processes and have been getting undercut by the more efficient carriers [like Southwest] for years ... and United, American, et al have been compounding their idiot financial problems by locking up as much of the hangar space and terminal gates at major airports so that the efficient young upstarts can't get them.

Rather than becoming efficient, they throw good money after bad.

And they're trying to get the bad money back by picking your pockets for it.

The smart move is to not use those carriers who start this. Every carrier [including the efficient young upstarts like Southwest] will eventually use it themselves, but if United starts it, take them out of the picture. There's a reason SWA is expanding its routes when UA and AA are cutting back.

Actually, Southwest started this by reducing the number of checked bags a couple of weeks ago... SWA is still one of my preferred airlines, however, these days I can usually fly another carrier cheaper... so gone are the good old SWA days.

I just don't see what the huge deal is here.....it's only $25.00. :confused:

I usually pack one suitcase and one carry on, but if I did have 2, well, I'd just pay up. I go for the lowest airfare....and another $25.00, if need be, isn't going to break the bank.

In reality it just increases the already high fares by $50... which isn't a huge deal, and wouldn't be a big deal at all if airfare was at all reasonable right now. But the gas crisis is causing everyone to spend more, and the airlines are at the top of that list... I understand paying more, and hopefully limiting the bags will keep the fares from going up too much higher.

If United is an option I will just add in an extra $25 before making my decision. It's just that $25 seems steep.

And remember, unless you are only flying 1 way, it's $50... You'll have to pay the $25 each time you check luggage...

Wow - I didn't think about that. I have a feeling I won't be flying United.

When we went on our Alaska cruise last year I also mailed a box to the hotel prior to our arrival. I put item in there that I didn't expect to return with (ponchos, insect repelent, etc.). It worked out great. I even sent the souveniurs(sp) home that we bought in Anchorage so that I wouldn't have to worry about luggage space or paying overages.

The reality is that SWA is also reducing service in many unprofittable locations too.

Would you expect them not to?

UA and Delta and NWA and AA are reducing flights all over the place, even in areas where SWA is increasing. Such as StL.

Unfortunately, if I have to fly United (or any other carrier who implements this in the future) on personal travel, I'll have to either pack everything into a single larger suitcase instead of two smaller ones as I currently do. Personally, I have more trouble handling the one larger size than two smaller ones. Otherwise, I'll just have to cough up the extra fee.

When I fly for business, I won't change anything and will just charge the extra fee to my expense report.

I seldom fly United unless for business travel (I think they have our major corporate airline contract). However, I expect the others to follow suit soon so will have to deal with it.

The other concern I have about this is that it will unfortunately encourage more people to carry-on more. Carry-on and the delays caused by people struggling with the it and trying to stuff everything in the overhead bins (heaven forbid they try to use the under seat storage for anything). I wish they had instead implemented a surcharge for carry-ons.

Surcharge for carry-ons? What a great idea! Thank You.

UAL

Archived