Cruise Critic Makes Me Overpack!!!

mfs2k

Thanks a lot Cruise critic message boards......... (note the sarcastic tone)

Thanks to all of your messages, and all my reading, Ive succeeded in overpacking for my cruise tomorrow (Legend 9/20)

Ive managed to take EVERY single suggestion and now I am buried in luggage...

Let's see... Checklist.......

Bungee Cord - balcony cabin door of course

Duct Tape - for anything

Walkie Talkies - communication to wife (hmm - maybe should take that out)

Nightlight - Dark bathroom at night

Cell phone and charger

Camera and charger

iron (yeah, I know - its forbidden - but its tiny and a steamer all in one

vodka (packed in water bottles)

water (packed in water bottles)

2 wine bottles (will pretend its a "special occasion"

corkscrew for wine

coffee travel mugs - to carry coffee back to balcony and keep it warm

vodka mixers (packed in soda cans)

nuts, pringles (I guess I think there's not enuf food ON board) (I must be nuts)

power strip (for all those chargers)

over closet door shoe holder (not for shoes - g_d forbid - but for stuff

clothes, clothes, clothes - for sun, hurricanes, beach, pool, formal nights, supper club, promenade deck, disco (I dont dance but i like to watch)

sweatshirts - of course because the ship is kept cold

beach bag

collapsible cooler (with extra tip money so steward keeps it full of ice)

books

ipod (with splitter so wife can listen too - oh yeah another charger) - thanks kids for letting me copy all your cd's this weekend to update my music from the 70's and 80's

one bag - JUST for SHOES!!! (Im not the culprit here - see wife)

6 indiv hand sanitizers - no norwalk virus for me

Transderm Scop patches - ive never gotten sea sick in my life, but what the hell - its hurricane season, right?

dramamine - backup plan for the patches

bonine - backup plan in case patches and dramamine dont work

every # suntan lotion you can think of...

My only smart move - which i am sure i will regret - One black Sport Jacket, 2 pairs of black pants and various shirts to keep it looking different on the formal nights and in the supper club

Gym clothes - Of course I havent worked out in 2 years, but it sure seems like a good idea (now) to use the treadmill while looking out on a sunny sea... probably will never touch the gym clothes though

Thanks a lot all - for making me CRAZY!!!!! Ive listened to virtually EVERY suggestion and now Im buried......

Can someone PLEASE teach me how to pack light for my NEXT cruse!!!!

Loved your message. My husband accuses me of packing too much too. But you never know when you will need that sewing kit, or the super glue! I'm always the one they come to to see if I have what they left at home!

Personaly I only take one bag. Now it was the largest one I could find. I figured if I can fit everything into it, then it is ok to take along. You never know what you might need. You could always buy an empty piece of luggage when on a shopping tour and fill it with all of the accumulated stuff along the way. Sounds good to me.

A friend of mine just took her first cruise! So of course I coached her. Well she came back and said that she did not take all of my suggestions but..........as she showed me her sunglasses she said that the duct tape came in handy when she broke them. I just laughed!!!

I over packed on my first 2 cruises before I knew about cruise critic. Now that I am a regular at cruise critic, I REALLY REALLY overpack! :D ;) There's just too many suggestions that have been made that I can't live without.

I haven't been on many cruises but for me it's a lot. I've learned since the first cruise not to pack as much.. You will learn what you will use and what you just pack, unpack and repack and never use I now leave those items at home! LOL Tip for your wife, I now try to pack the same color formal wear so you only need one formal pair of shoes and same goes for other nights at dinner. Well I did say I try!

This is just too funny! I have a few tricks I will be glad to share - now please keep in mind I travel a lot more than just cruises.

I always keep almost every little sample thing I get or come across. I found a wonderful (and large enough) bag from Victoria's Secret several years ago that will hold every single makeup and primping item I need. When I buy my makeup at the department store - I take the gift items and put them in this bag that way I can travel with mini versions of my regualrs.

Shoes - Ladies I am no good at this - 1 pair black dress to go with both formal nights - tennis shoes - casual sandals and then something like flipflops.

Clothes - I have learned to only bring half of what I think I will need. What ever else I need I buy!

i thought the message to learn was twice the clothes and twice the money......

btw - I thought about a blender but left it out.

ps - Im no rookie at this - this is my 7th cruise - but I still pack like im heading off for 8 weeks of summer camp!

did i mention that ive packed virtually an entire medicine cabinet...? <just in case>

Archived