Is cave tubing for us?

zebra

Much has been written about how great cave tubing is - but I was wondering if it would be easy for us to do - we are in our 50's and 60's? The second question is would the water be warm in April? Thanks for your input.

Much has been written about how great cave tubing is - but I was wondering if it would be easy for us to do - we are in our 50's and 60's? The second question is would the water be warm in April? Thanks for your input.

If you can hike on uneven ground for 30 min. you are good to go. We are in our mid-50's and do just about anything that the pups do.;) Snorkel, hike, canoe, waterski, ATV's. It is not how old you are, it is how young.

Anyone who has not done this tour needs to try it. There are not many places to do it and this might be your only chance.

P.S. I almost forgot. The water is a little cool, but it doesn't take long to get comfortable with it.

. . . it was a snap! We carried our own (surprisingly light) inner tubes, flashlights, lifejackets, mucho underwater camera equipment; I am 64, DW is 62; temperature much warmer than I had feared--probably in the mid- to high seventies F. I think it was the most scenic and restful day of our two-week stay in Belize. Lamanai was very scenic, but it was not restful! The area around the caves is really beautiful, as are the caves themselves. We were fortunate to be able to go with Major Tom (who is my age, and behaves like an adult) and his two younger sons (it was Saturday, they were out of school, and this is what THEY do for fun!), and two young men in their twenties, I would guess, from Philadelphia, PA. Everyone had a wonderful day, and I'm pretty sure anyone who goes cave tubing--certainly with Major Tom--will have a day to remember with great pleasure all his life.

I laugh when I think that when I originally planned our trip I had absolutely no thought of going cave tubing. It was going to be ALL Mayan ruins and snorkeling. But we did all we planned and more besides. Cave tubing really is like no other experience we have ever had, and I don't think people in their eighties or nineties should hold back, if they can still walk a little! Your guides WILL look out for you! :D

We were 61 when we did cave tubing last year and had zero problems. We do like active adventures--okay, maybe soft adventures--though and are at least in decent shape. We also did zip-lining, snorkeling, dune buggies and ruins on this cruise. Age is a state of mind!

Like Driftwood said, you need to be able to walk 30-40 minutes on a dirt trail with some uneven areas--it was a nice slow amble for us. We both carried our own tubes without trouble, but the guides will help if necessary. It was in the 80's the day we were there in December.

The water is pretty cool when you first get in but you get used to it quickly. After the first few moments I forgot all about it.

This was a great excursion; we'd do it again.

I would say, go for it...if you go with Major Tom. His tour is not "free floating". He has his groups linked together and his guides do all the work for you through the caves. Believe me when I say, you'll be glad to have them as the current can get pretty strong and even with the headlights it can still be pretty dark. It was nice to have our guides to lead us and pull us through it all, plus, it's safer too. I felt sorry for the other people on tours who were free floating through the caves. They had to paddle and sometimes paddle hard the whole entire time, sometimes hollering for help. They did not look like they were having fun. A few times our guide even had to help some of them.

So book with Major Tom. He's a great guide, the most experienced with the cave systems, and he'll make sure you have a great, safe, experience.

I would say, go for it...if you go with Major Tom. His tour is not "free floating". He has his groups linked together and his guides do all the work for you through the caves. Believe me when I say, you'll be glad to have them as the current can get pretty strong and even with the headlights it can still be pretty dark. It was nice to have our guides to lead us and pull us through it all, plus, it's safer too. I felt sorry for the other people on tours who were free floating through the caves. They had to paddle and sometimes paddle hard the whole entire time, sometimes hollering for help. They did not look like they were having fun. A few times our guide even had to help some of them.

So book with Major Tom. He's a great guide, the most experienced with the cave systems, and he'll make sure you have a great, safe, experience.

Thanks for all this info. Do you know the website for Major Tom?

I found the website!

I now have another question - I see there is an additional $5 for lunch... has anyone had their lunch? What does it consist of? Also if you opt out of lunch what do you do while the other's might be having lunch, or do they take you back to the ship?

The great thing about Major Tom is his ability to improvise on the fly--write and tell him what it is you want to know, or what you want! He and his son usually take small, comfortably-sized groups, and things can be tailored to suit you. Unlike almost everyone else in the business. :rolleyes:

Just as Driftwood said, our lunch was chicken, rice and beans, and coleslaw, and boy was it yummy!!! It was homemade and I could have had another helping. The cold beer was only a couple of bucks and bottled soda was $1.00. We only had 2 people on our tour who didn't eat and they decided to come to the restaurant to get a cold drink and chit chat with the rest of us. We had a good time together and it was a lot of fun.

Archived