Need cabin help - Mariner!

OK.. booked in D1 balcony on deck 8, just realized that we are in a "connected" adjoining room. Its just the wife and I, so dont need both rooms, and I would prefer not to deal with only a door between the next cabin and us. BUT, we have an aft, port-side cabin, which I have read on here is the preferred side for a E. Carib route. I checked avail cabins, and we could switch to another, non-adjoining D1 on the port side, but would be the opposite (fore) end of the hall. Or, we could move up to deck 9, either on port or starboard side, but again, far front of the ship.

Is there any reason NOT to move to the fore of the ship, and would deck 9 be better than deck 8?

We've only ever sailed in a balcony room once, and never on this route, so not sure what to do.. thanks!

If you have the cabin location that you want, I wouldn't bother to change. Our connecting D1 cabins on Mariner had the door at the foot of the bed, so you will still have a couch, not a chair. The connecting door is locked, or unlocked, your preference, for the entire cruise, so you needn't worry about someone opening the door unexpectedly. If both cabins don't request that the door be unlocked, it will not be unlocked. Even when travelling with family with the door unlocked, we didn't hear any more noise from the next cabin than we heard on any other cruises without connecting doors. I know that others will disagree, but I think that the location that you want trumps the connecting door issue. Have a wonderful cruise, we love the Mariner. One more thing, having just cruised on the Mariner again, make sure that you get in line for the ice show tickets if you have it on your "must do" list. We'd never had trouble picking up tickets for the show on previous cruises. All tickets for all shows were gone very quickly, and we waited in line with the other late sleepers for the chance to see one of the shows after all those with tickets went in to the theater. We had no trouble getting in, but so many people were picking up tickets for multiple shows, friends, more than the number in their party, etc., that picking up the tickets when they are first handed out has become much more important.

Again, have a great cruise. . .

If you have the cabin location that you want, I wouldn't bother to change. Our connecting D1 cabins on Mariner had the door at the foot of the bed, so you will still have a couch, not a chair...

Good to know! I was misinformed. :( Sorry for any confusion!

thanks G8rmom! My wife and I are both UF grads as well, in Jacksonville now, but she is from Orlando.. part of the reason for this cruise from PC, since we have family to watch the kids.. we saw the ice show on Navigator last year, so might skip it this time, did they still have the Beatlemania show? have heard great things about it, but was from a while ago, so dont know if still in the lineup

I just want to point out that there is no "better" side on the roundtrip Eastern sailing. You won't see much scenery while out at sea. And in the ports, the ship does not dock the same way every time. So being on the port side over the starboard side does not ensure a better view.

I just want to point out that there is no "better" side on the roundtrip Eastern sailing. You won't see much scenery while out at sea. And in the ports, the ship does not dock the same way every time. So being on the port side over the starboard side does not ensure a better view.

I was just going to write the same thing! There is no preferred side of the ship because sometimes the Captain backs into the port, and other times, the ship is faced forward.

As well, I believe the OP is speaking of a sidefacing balcony in the rear quadrant of the ship (not one on the stern of the ship facing the rear, which we commonly call an aft cabin).

The only "benefit" to being towards the rear of the ship is that in a storm, or in high seas, you might feel less motion than you would in a cabin all the way to the front. These ships have amazing stabilizers, so really, this difference is negligible.

IMO - it is more convenient to have a cabin as close to an elevator bank as possible, regardless of whether you are towards the forward or towards the aft of the ship. We once were upgraded to a GS on deck 10 that was all the way forward, and it was so convenient because it was near the elevators/stairs, and just one flight up to the pool/solarium area, and an quick elevator ride down to where the theatres are. We never felt any motion, and wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin that's all the way forward again.

We had connecting D1 cabins (1370 & 1372) for our family of four on the Mariner this past January. The door is located at the foot of the bed and thus doesn't take up any sofa space. Both cabins had full sofa beds, not a chair. As we were told by RCI prior to our cruise, all Mariner D1's have full sofa beds, even connecting cabins.

When the connecting door is closed, we could not hear our children arguing in their cabin!!

We had the Beatle tribute show on the Mariner last time, but this time they had a "Motown and More" show with "Horizon." Graham Seymour is the CD on Mariner, and he did a late night comedy show, and sang two songs in the Farewell Extravaganza. He's funny and talented, but we've never seen a cruise director become such a part of the scheduled entertainment on any of our previous cruises. Now I can see how people can get a favorite or not so favorite cruise director. Until now, we've had great cruises, but I couldn't have told you who the cruise director was. Way off topic, sorry.:o

Archived