Self guided DRFs?

rickb609

I have done the falls previously and am interested in climbing them on my own. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? I got tired of waiting for the large group to make it through. Anyone know how to avoid the peddlers village after the falls. I found them way too pushy?

Hi, we have stayed in Jamaica a few times in the past few years, with Ocho Rios being our first last Dec. Wouldn't go back to that location... like Negril much more. But with Dunns river, we did it without any guide. There were other tours going on, but we just went our own way up! My husband had a broken ankle and made it all the way up with no help. The vendors u have to be extremely firm with them and just say NO THANK YOU! They tried to tell us that we had to go through there little store area to get out. But u do not. It's hard to so no.... but trust me... you have to! Just go around the area! You are not missing anything!

No problem climbing them on your own. We have done it on our own the last 3 times there. We like to go up from middle to right side. Some places can be tricky and you may need a boost to get up but those are what make it fun. We'll be taking our 5 and 8 year old kids for the first time and will do it on our own away from the guided line.

Thanks for the responses! I heard that you can avoid the peddler village. If you follow the exit signs you have to go through it, but I heard you can go towards the entrance and avoid it altogether, is this true?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses! I heard that you can avoid the peddler village. If you follow the exit signs you have to go through it, but I heard you can go towards the entrance and avoid it altogether, is this true?

YES - just go back out the way you came in.

Archived