Luggage Question

cruisinmama2

We are a family of four taking 4 carry-on (for our flight) duffels on our RCCI cruise in March. What happens to our luggage when we board ship? I read to take extra carry on clothing and swim suits because the luggage wont get to your cabin for hours. Where is it left? Who take sit? Is it being taken care of or sitting out in the open? Do they go through it? How long does it usually take to get to the cabin after you board? Sorry if these questions sound dumb... :-) Thanks in advance.

You will give your bags to the porters. They take it into the ship and begin delivery as soon as possible. It's not left out in the open! They don't go through it. (It should be LOCKED, anyway!!!) It can either beat you to the cabin, or get there after dinner!!! Depends how much they have to deliver! That's why its recommended to carry on anything you may need before bedtime--including anything valuable, like, laptops, cameras, jewelry, medicine, etc. The rest will get to you eventually.

Wear (or carry) a swimsuit, so you can hit the pool after you board!

Thanks CB! I wonder why we cant just roll to our cabin ourselves...

Depending on how early the previous cruise emptied out, your cabin may not be ready until after 1pm and you're usually not allowed in the cabin areas until they're ready.

Also dragging your luggage where ever you go on the ship until your cabin is ready is, well a drag.:cool:

All luggage is x-rayed (scanned). If you give it to the porter, it will be x-rayed (usually somewhere in the terminal) and then put onboard (to be delivered to your cabin eventually). Your carry-on luggage (this includes purses, etc) will be put through airport-style scanners as you go through security. You (minus your carry-ons) will walk through a metal detector.

How strict depends on the luck of the draw. Some people get through with bottles in their carry-on. I'm always unlucky- I was even "flagged" because I had knitting needles in my carry-on. (I was eventually allowed to board with them, but not after complaining to many supervisors, guards, etc.) I don't think any other passengers were nervous that I was allowed to knit onboard, but security certainly was tight that day! Maybe I should have carried a few bottles of wine- the knitting needles might have distracted the security guards.

Last cruise they confiscated my steamer. I know irons are prohibited but I always took my steamer. Oh well live and learn!

OK, see, this is NOT good.... because I wanted to take my steamer... How on EARTH are we supposed to take care of our formal wear if we cant even take a steamer on board...????? Will RCCI scan your purse? I guess i will just have to put it in my purse then.....

Yes, they scan your purse. Have you flown recently? Getting through cruise terminal security is similar to getting through airport security. The major difference is that some cruise terminals do not make you take your coat off (TSA would make you take off coats, jackets, etc).

As for steamers- I, too, thought they were allowed. I would contact your cruiseline (or TA) and ask about the rules on your ship. If they're not allowed, you can send your clothes to be pressed once onboard (at an extra cost) or just pack carefully and hope for the best.

They gave my steamer back after the cruise. We were on RC Radiance of the Seas.

I always took one before.

I pack all of my clothes ironed ahead of time in 2 gallon zip locks with tissue paper in between. I usually don't have to steam much. Formal wear might need to be sent out.

Archived