Changed my QE2 plans

SSL

Due to a work emergency, I had to cancel my trip on the last leg of the QE2's final World Cruise; the transatlantic trip back to Southampton. And, as of right now, my trip on the very last transatlantic isn't looking too good, either (my work is getting busy!). So, just to be safe, I booked the only trip QE2 has that I'm definitely going to be available for: the "Atlantic Isles Idyll", leaving 15 June. It travels in and out of Southampton, to;

Bilbao, Spain

Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

and Lisbon, Portugal

This'll be my first visit to theses ports, and I was wondering what everyone thought of them, had any recommendations for things to see there, conversely things to stay away from, what the weather should be like that time of year, and how this cruise might be be different from the T/A, dress-wise, passenger-wise, etc. Any advice would be welcome.

PS: Was anyone here waitlisted for the April T/A? You may be getting a call from Cunard...If so, you're welcome...send me a postcard!

Steve L.

QM2 -- Maiden T/A -- April '04

QE2 -- Eastbound T/A -- August '00

Queen Mary, Long Beach -- week-long stay twice a year

Countless Royal Caribbean cruises

Upcoming:

QE2 -- Eastbound T/A -- April '08 (Oops, not any more!)

QE2 -- Atlantic Isles Idyll cruise -- June '08

QE2 -- Final T/A -- October '08

I gave up a spot in P3 Category. Same category I have on the new trip, unless I get upgraded (hint, hint, Cunard!).

Yeah, I'm lucky, business is busy, that's how I pay for these trips! And I'm also lucky that there was a QE2 trip that fits into my schedule. I didn't really care too much about the itinerary (though a T/A is always my first choice), I just wanted to sail on her one more time before she's off to Dubai. And hey, at least this way I get 10 days on board, instead of 6!

Steve L.

Upcoming:

Only ever been to Bilbao, Spain - as of last August.

While far from the most exciting port in the world, it is a nice city. Bilbao is a former industrial city in the Basque country of Spain which fell on hard times after the manufacturing sector closed up. However, in the last few decades the city reinvented itself and the opening of the Guggenheim Museum has help regenerate the place into a modern tourist center. While it has a long way to go the city does have a modern and efficient tram system and subway and new construction is popping up everywhere. I think in about 10 years it may be too touristy so to see the real Bilbao - now is the time to go. There is still a lot of the old city and shopping areas. I found the city friendly enough.

The must in Bilbao - obviously the Guggenheim. I've also been to the one in New York City and I found the Bilbao one much nicer to wonder through.

Bilbao in June - very hot! It was quite warm in late August.

Just my personal thoughts.

David

So,

Is this my upgrade to Princess Or my chance to meet the world famous Babette? (I bow to you) who will be buying me a Cunard Teddy bear on board!( In appreciation for things I have done for her in the past!)

Karie

Hope to meet you Babette! This would be kind of funny. We live a few short miles apart (one small state away) yet. we will have to cross to England to finally meet? <LOL>

I look forward to it! Maybe you can teach me some things!

A friend of mine who knows Spain well said that Bilbao is probably the least desirable city in Spain to see. He did say the Guggenheim is a must, though. How far is it from where QE2 docks? Which reminds me, does anyone know if we'll tender at all on this trip?

I assumed it would be pretty hot. I was figuring probably about the same as the Caribbean (which I've done too much of now!). Would I be correct in that assumption?

I may just stay on board the ship instead of hitting some of the ports -- let everyone else wander aimlessly around these places -- and leave the QE2 to me!

Steve L.

Upcoming:

This'll be my first visit to theses ports, and I was wondering what everyone thought of them, had any recommendations for things to see there, conversely things to stay away from, what the weather should be like that time of year, and how this cruise might be be different from the T/A, dress-wise, passenger-wise, etc. Any advice would be welcome.

If l could suggest Reids hotel in Funchal as a must do, l was there in 1988 and fell in love with the Hotel and Madeira, went ashore with a friend from the crew and as my treat l bought lunch!!!, when the bill came l wasnt exactly sure what l paid for,but lm sure part of the hotel is mine.

I was originally booked on the Canary Isles crusie and was looking forward to revisiting that wonderful isle again ,But as we all know Cunard sold the ship !

As for the rest of the ports, you can keep them, Its one of the few places that l have visited that l have said l would love to go back to.

, Cheers

Myles

A friend of mine who knows Spain well said that Bilbao is probably the least desirable city in Spain to see. He did say the Guggenheim is a must, though. How far is it from where QE2 docks?

LOL! Wouldn't surprise me. Bilbao is the only place in Spain I've ever been to but compared to La Rochelle, France (which was on the same QE2 cruise I was on) its a paradise.:) Still I liked it enough - not exciting but pleasant enough and the city is located in a beautiful river valley so its picturesque. The QE2 docks quite a bit away from the city itself but there are shuttle buses that run back and forth from the center to the docks. The bus ride is perhaps about 15-20 minutes.

Although I have never been anywhere else on your iteniary I would suspect the Canary islands and Lisbon are probably more exciting. But please do the Guggenheim.;)

David

Myles, I found the website for Reid's Palace (reidspalace.com), and it looks absolutely beautiful. The website's description of the hotel sounds right up our alley, too:

"Opened in 1891, to welcome ocean liners on their way to the outposts of the British Empire, Reid’s Palace is one of the world’s most famous hotels, combining grand Edwardian tradition with every modern amenity and comfort."

They offer Afternoon Tea, and I think that may be a must. Between that, the Guggenheim in Bilbao, and the Canary Islands, it's starting to sound like I may be busy!

Any other port advice, also how will the atmosphere onboard be different? Should I dress differently -- more casual? (I hope not, I enjoy dressing up while onboard!)

Steve L.

Upcoming:

Reids is a lovely hotel. We spent a week there in September 2001, somewhat overshadowed by world events. Hidden in one of the lounges are a couple of sketches of the hotel. Picasso made them on the tablecloths. Worth looking for if you are there for afternoon tea. In theory the hotels gardens are reserved for residents.

From Funchal you can take the cable car up to Monte and the toboggan back down. It is fun. You ride through the street on a wicker basket with skis. Luckily each toboggan has an attendant/driver to keep it under control. The toboggans only go half way down so you can walk or take a taxi to the port. In Monte itself there is a church and tropical gardens which are probably worth a visit.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Archived