Footwear for Cave Tubing

mizbear

My family and I are going cave tubing while in Belize and were wondering what we should wear on our feet...I know there is an approximate 1 mile walk before we go tubing. For those who have done this before, what would you recommend? I am thinking of either water shoes or "Teva" type sandals; we're thinking sneakers would just get too wet. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mizbear

Anything but flip flops. Our guide wouldn't allow them. I wore water shoes, and the walk was quite comfortable. Strapped sandals would be just fine as well.

The trail is well defined and is a fairly easy 1/2 hour walk. It's mostly dirt and sand with some spots with pebbles. There's not much vegetation on the walking part of the trail itself due to the hundreds of people who tramp on it each day. The rainforest that surrounds you is very pretty.

Make sure you wear something with ankle straps if you take a sandal of some sort. If the straps are really loose on your foot, you might want to try going to Walmart or another store for some cheap water shoes.

One note, though ... I used "old" watershoes that I had worn down a bit and, after a rain, ended up in a mud puddle because I had no traction in the mud. It wasn't a big deal, but it was A LOT of mud. ;)

I'm doing a combo aerial thing (zip line) and cave tubing excursion booked through HAL. I know it's cheaper to book privately, but I'm going solo and it's worth the convenience since it's just me.

The excursion description says to wear closed toe shoes for the zip line part, but then I have a hike to cave tubing. Any recommendations? Has anyone done a zipline to know if Teva sandals are ok for that?

Thanks,

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

My tevas worked great for cave-tubing, but for ziplining (which we did in Roatan) closed toe shoes are much better. I'd just stick the tevas in your backpack, or whatever you are bringing along for your stuff so you can use them once you get to the cave-tubing venue.

I'd be afraid of smashing or scraping up toes while zip-lining in sandals, especially tevas, which are more open than most.

. . . they were essentially much like walking or running shoes, with "razor cut" Vibram soles for excellent traction (as it proved) and, except for being mesh so that the water ran in and out freely, they were completely enclosed shoes. We found they worked very well, although we had never owned or used water shoes before.

Oops, it's "Merrell." One-half-size smaller than my usual shoe size, as of course one isn't using socks . . . .

Archived