Which line should we choose??

newcruiser1951

We have cruised on Caribbean Princess twice. Now we're looking for a 7-day cruise in March 2009 with extended family and looking to try a different line. There will be 2 mid-50's, 2 mid 40-s, 2 21 yr olds and 2 18 yr olds. We're considering Royal Caribbean (the ships with FlowRider) or Carnival...either Southern or Western Caribbean...any advice???? Obviously, the issues are cabin, food & activities while on the ship. We'd be looking @ mini-suites for 3 of the cabins and oceanview for 1 - and 4 of the 8 smoke.

Well your 20 somethings will like RCI-but I doubt the rest of you will be impressed-unless you are athletic types. the 20 year olds would like Carnival too- but it is just an okay line-nothing great-they do give you value for your money-but no little extras-and I am at an age where I want the extra pampering.

My daughter loved Princess and she is 23. I would stick with Princess. We found Princess a good compromise for her and us crusing together.

Now if it was just the 40 year olds and the 50 year olds I would say go with Celebrity. but I doubt your twenty somethings would enjoy it as much.

Thanks Mom - must say we were a little disappointed with the last Caribbean Princess cruise (1/20/08). Ship is looking a little tired - food seemed to be not as good - Movies Under the Stars weren't as current as the first cruise we took on her.........our friends were thinking possibly Ruby Princess if we stayed with Princess....

Thanks Mom - must say we were a little disappointed with the last Caribbean Princess cruise (1/20/08). Ship is looking a little tired - food seemed to be not as good - Movies Under the Stars weren't as current as the first cruise we took on her.........our friends were thinking possibly Ruby Princess if we stayed with Princess....

Gracious! the ship is not even 3 years old! I am sorry to hear that. but you know, I keep hearing that about alot of ships of differant lines-the ships are getting worn out fast it seems.

The Emerald Princess is new also-I don't think the Ruby comes out until the fall?

What you should do is read some ship's reviews.

Just look at some ships that you are attracted to, the ittenaries I guess, and then read reviews of the ships.

If you want the RCCL ships with the Flowrider, those are Freedom of the Sea, Liberty of the Seas, and the soon to come out Independence of the Seas. None of those ships currently do the southern caribbean, so your only choice with those ships would be the western Caribbean. Since half your group smokes, be aware that RCCL just implemented a new smoking policy which means you can no longer smoke in your cabins. Consider this when you are comparing cruiselines since RCCL might not meet your needs.

Between Western and Southern Caribbean I would choose Southern Caribbean every time. Since you talk about Caribbean Princess being tired looking, etc, I definitely don't think you would be happy with the ship that Carnival has running the Southern Caribbean. Carnival Victory is not one of their newest ships (older than Caribbean Princess) and while I'm sure it's a good ship, I don't think it would satisfy your needs.

I think your group should look at Emerald Princess or Ruby Princess when she comes out.

Well your 20 somethings will like RCI-but I doubt the rest of you will be impressed-unless you are athletic types. the 20 year olds would like Carnival too- but it is just an okay line-nothing great-they do give you value for your money-but no little extras-and I am at an age where I want the extra pampering.

I respectfully disagree. We are 40 something, non-athletes who love RCI. The level of service is outstanding, the production and ice shows are very entertaining, and there are plenty of activities that appeal to less-active people.

My teenagers were bored to tears on Carnival. Service was horrendous and we wouldn't sail that line again if it were free.

You're on the right track. It is good to try other cruise lines. I would recommend Royal Caribbean but also believe that your group would enjoy Carnival. Go ahead give one of these a try, I believe that you will have a great time.

I respectfully disagree. We are 40 something, non-athletes who love RCI. The level of service is outstanding, the production and ice shows are very entertaining, and there are plenty of activities that appeal to less-active people.

My teenagers were bored to tears on Carnival. Service was horrendous and we wouldn't sail that line again if it were free.

I said Carnival was decent and you got your money's worth and the 20year old likes Carnival. That hardly makes me a fan of Carnival. My my daughter enjoys them at age 23 for the karokee and disco-but then she is not a teenager. she did participate in iceskating on MOS and she enjoyed it-but otherwise she felt MOS was no better then Carnival for her needs.

Yes I did enjoy the one ice show we are allowed to see during the week- but I have seen much better ice shows in Philip's arena in Atlanta.

Now the skaters were very talented-they just had such a small rink to perform in. So I guess I feel that is not enough reason for me to book a RCI ship that has the rinks. I would rather see ice shows close to home, since I have that advantage living close to Atlanta.

Actually,the same thing applies to MUTS on Princess. It is fun-but no big deal-except you can actually be in the pool and watch it- which the children like- I did not do that -I am not a child LOL!-I was always in a deck chair.

As far as food went-It was great in Chops and Portofinos on MOS-otherwise mediocre at best and I found when I went to the dinningroom at lunch the waiters had no desire to accommodate me. A plain salad was not on the menu-the only salads had either schrimp or chicken-I asked for a plain salad and the waiter said that was NOT on the menu very rudeley to me. I found this very upsetting as I have seen MANY people ask for ridiculous things and the waiters ALWAYS accommodated-but I could not get a simple salad with lettuce and tomato.

At lunch ofcourse the lido/windjammer had more choices-but it was super crowded on my cruise (3600 PAX) and a 20 to 45 minute wait to get in on sea days. So no, I did not find the service to be superior.

Now my dinner waiter was wonderful, he was superior and because of this he was very well compensated. It was just too bad I could not have had him at lunch.

I am not saying I will not cruise RCI again-but no, not on the voyager class or freedom class. I just do not feel those classes of ships fulfills my needs.

Princess was better, a more varied lunch menu, food better quality, although the food was no better in the pay extra resturant, I found the regular restuarant just as good. We did anytime dinning and we chose the dinningroom away from the centrum area-so we never had to wait.

There were two adult pools on ship and we found the adult pool in the spa area was never crowded.

But to be honest, I felt even the CP had too many people. I just do not like crowds and congestion-eventhough the flow on Princess was better.

I prefer the pampering of Celebrity and their much beter quality food then either RCI or Princess and less people, but I am very disapointed that the new Soltice will be a huge ship also.

I guess that is why we are trying HAL again. I will see if we enjoy them and being on a ship which holds under 2000 people.

Unfortunately I guess, as the lines go to bigger and bigger ships-there will come a point when I will decide just not to cruise anymore.

I have concerns about Carnival. I work with someone who only ever cruises on carnival. He says that even the dinner in the dinning room is a party. On his last cruise there was a conga line going on during dinner and people are dancing around the tables. Although this does sound fun, I am not sure I would want that much fun 24/7. :eek:

I am sure that the Teens and 20's would love it, but us "oldies" may want to have a nice quite dinner with soft music.

I am also concerned that Princess won't be enough fun for them and they will get bored.

The most common age I saw on Caribbean Princess was 60+! (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

I was wondering if you might be able to give me a comparison of HAL to Celebrity. My sister and I cruised on the HAL Maasdam in 2007 and liked it very much. The only drawback was I found it to be an older crowd than I suspected. There wasn't much night life in the bars. I will say that the food and service were superb. Do you have any info you could offer? I would appreciate it as my sister and I are in the midst of planning a 2009 cruise and were thinking either Celebrity or RCCL which we cruised in 2005. We found the RCCL to be more of a younger crowd (now I don't mean kids), we are both 57 and 61 but like a little night life fun not only in the cassino but in the bars. Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thx.:)

Archived