visit to Hawaii

gardencat

Just wanted to thank everyone on this board who gave me info and suggestions before our Hawaii trip.

I just got home last night around midnight so I'm still a little groggy from the time difference but wanted to let you know we found several of the suggestions very helpful.

We had a great dinner at Tiki's. The food was fantastic (better than we expected in such a 'tourist' seeming area) and the wait staff charming. Sitting on the second floor deck watching the sun set, as a gentle breeze blew and we enjoyed a wonderful plate of tuna, mussels and octopus was exactly the kind of experience we were hoping for.

We also enjoyed a lovely meal at Oodles of noodles although the view was not as memorable as the one from Tiki's.

Sweetemi, we spent the better part of a day in the little artist community you told me about in the hills above Kailua- Kona (the name of the town escapes my mind right now) again a great casual lunch at the little coffee shop/ restaurant there.

We chatted with people in several of the galleries and had an altogether great time. Too bad we were not in a financial position to purchase all the pieces that we liked from the different galleries.

We also spent a great day at Volcanos National Park and thought it was a great deal. For $10 we got a pass that would let us in to the park every day for a week! Unfortunately we could only manage one day there. When we left there were still many things we wished we had the time to do. That was our biggest problem with the vacation just not enough time and we wanted to do things at a relaxed pace so we passed some activities up entirely in order not to feel rushed.

We missed snorkling at Hanauma Bay which I really regret but my daughter missed her plane causing her to arrive in Oahu at 11pm rather than the originally planned 5pm. At that point it felt to us like 5am (EST) and we had both been up for 24 hours straight so were unable to drag ourselves out of bed the next morning to make the snorkling trip.

So many things I still want to do I will have to try very hard to get back some time in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Lucky you to live amid all that beauty!

Cat: I'm so glad you had such a great time. I'm glad too that you didn't try to do everything and took time to relax. I have to remember to do that more often...

The town is Holualoa and I'm glad you had a good time there. I think I might have to take a run up there again soon...just to walk around and look. Actually it is probably only about 15 minutes from where I live.

I heard someone talking about another restaurant that is going in next to Oodles of Noodles and it sounded like it should be a good one...maybe Spleen knows?

Oh...just because I'm remembering...that mail place in the shopping center with Safeway and Oodles of Noodles is called "Mailboxes" No Etc.

We'll be looking forward to having you come visit again, Cat!

Aloha,

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Emi - sorry, don't know. Will be looking forward to your review of the restaurant though. icon_biggrin.gif

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I am SOOO glad you had a great time and cant wait to hear the in-depth report! I am also glad you had a safe journey home.

Sue

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Aloha Emi...I'm interested in knowing more about Holualoa. It sounds interesting. We've been to the Kona area three times and never heard of it. How do you get there?

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

DaWoods...Holualoa is just mauka of Kona...let's see...you can get there from a couple of different directions, but if you head out from Palani Road or Henry Road going south, not very far at all will be a road going left called Hualalai Road...it is pretty windy but head all the way to the top and then turn left...Holualoa is just a little ways from there.

http://www.holualoainn.com/map.html There's a map on this link.

Aloha,

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Archived