Duty Free question

Cinderose

I have also heard a few people say they brought back more than the duty free limit and declared it. They were not charged any extra. One person told me that he was told by a Duty person that unless its more than double the allowed they dont mess with it. Im sure its more paper work than the Duty will bring in.

If you're concerned about booze and smokes more than anything else. Just declare everything that you have. If you're over your limit the worst they do is make you pay the duty and its tiny, a couple of bucks on a bottle of booze. And very often if you're a little over they just wave you thru.

The limits are NOT what you are allowed to bring in, the limits are what you are allowed to bring in, DUTY FREE.

If you do not declare it and they happen to find it, you could have a bad day.

Dan

I dont smoke or drink, but Im being hit up by all my daughters friends (yes they are of legal age) to bring them back some items. Just didnt know what I could bring in legally. And my shopping will come first before I consider their items.

If you go to the US Virgin Islands you can bring back 5 liters of alcohol p/p plus 1 extra liter if it's made in the US Virgin Islands. i.e. Cruzan Rum. From the US Virgin Islands you can also bring back 5 cartons of cigarettes p/p.

Here is a link to the US customs website. It will show you the exact amounts for the other ports. From the other ports the duty free items will be less.

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/types_of_exemptions.xml

Like the other poster said, just declare everything and if you are over by a little bit, I doubt they will bother you.

Just wanted to mention that the duty isn't very much. I think it's about 10%.

As far as smokes go, when we were on the Holiday this past Oct. we were told in no uncertain terms that we were NOT allowed to bring back more than 1 carton of smokes.....:confused:

I don't know if it was just because of the ports (USVI were not visited) but that if we had more than one carton that there was no duty, they just took them away from you.....:eek:

Just something else to think about.....:)

Joey

As far as smokes go, when we were on the Holiday this past Oct. we were told in no uncertain terms that we were NOT allowed to bring back more than 1 carton of smokes.....:confused:

I don't know if it was just because of the ports (USVI were not visited) but that if we had more than one carton that there was no duty, they just took them away from you.....:eek:

Just something else to think about.....:)

Joey

I have the same impression on cigarettes. Alcohol, on the other hand, is not an issue. I've gone over limit every time without any extra duty although I realize it could happen at any time.

Cigarettes is definitely ONE carton. We don't smoke but I do remember them clearly stating that. No more than ONE carton even if you are willing to pay the tax. They will take them away from you. Now if you have 5 and get caught claiming only 1, I don't know what happens.

From the USVI you are allowed 5 p/p.

Cigarettes is definitely ONE carton. We don't smoke but I do remember them clearly stating that. No more than ONE carton even if you are willing to pay the tax. They will take them away from you. Now if you have 5 and get caught claiming only 1, I don't know what happens.

One carton of American cigarettes. And one carton of foreign mfg. cigs.

Over one carton of American cigs will be confiscated. Over one carton of foreign cigs will be charged duty. The amount must be for one's own use, not for resale.

The state laws where the ship lands could take precedent over the fed. law.

That's how I interpret the rules, but I'm a non-smoker, so what do I care?:D

Dan

Archived