Ivar's Seafood Bar Seattle

cali-croozer

Ivar's chowders (all of them) are justifiably famous (and I don't say that just because I worked for them for a few seasons at Safeco Field) and well worth a try, as are their fish and chips dishes.

Unfortunately, their most famous (and best) items--salmon sandwiches, Ivar dogs (nope, they are NOT hot dogs), and garlic fries are not available at their streetside retail outlets.

If you're going to do Ivar's, I'd really suggest you go to the Salmon House on the north end of Lake Union ... that's really the best of the bunch, but not as easy to find if you're visiting and staying downtown. The fish bars are really just chowder and fish and chips ... which is fine, but I wouldn't really say it's something to write home about. That said, the most "unique" thing to get at the fish bar would be the salmon and chips.

There are a TON of seafood places in downtown Seattle, including Pike Place Market and the waterfront. Personally, I wouldn't make advance plans to eat at any one place but just see where I am when I'm hungry and sniff out something good that's nearby.

Oooh, ok ... that makes a difference. How long is your stop, do you know? If you have time, or especially if your ship offers it as an excursion, do the Duck Tour. That will give you a great overview of the city, including Pioneer Square to the south and (on) Lake Union to the north. Should be about 90 minutes, leaving and returning to near the Space Needle. You can also plan to tour the Market during your lunch hour, and eat somewhere there ... again, lots and lots of good choices, and I would just follow my nose. If you're in Pioneer Square, you can also do the Underground Tour from there ... I think that's another 90 minutes or so, maybe two hours. Gonna be a busy day! :rolleyes:

Oooh, ok ... that makes a difference. How long is your stop, do you know? If you have time, or especially if your ship offers it as an excursion, do the Duck Tour. That will give you a great overview of the city, including Pioneer Square to the south and (on) Lake Union to the north. Should be about 90 minutes, leaving and returning to near the Space Needle. You can also plan to tour the Market during your lunch hour, and eat somewhere there ... again, lots and lots of good choices, and I would just follow my nose. If you're in Pioneer Square, you can also do the Underground Tour from there ... I think that's another 90 minutes or so, maybe two hours. Gonna be a busy day! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information. We'll only be there from 8am to 5pm so I thought at least the 3 places I mentioned should be doable. I checked out transportation (buses and monorail) and it looks pretty easy. I'll check out the duck tour and/or underground tour details to see if we can squeeze one in. Thanx again.;)

Archived