?? re: Summit engine problems--help!

Catnip

I am booked on the 4/1/05 10-day sailing on the Summit.

A friend of mine just emailed me and was telling me terrible things about the Summit and how that particular class of ships is having trouble with their engines. I do not know anything about this---is this something new, or something to worry about? She told my mother and now my mother wants to cancel our 4/1/05 sailing on the Summit and switch to a different cruise line. I am so looking forward to the Summit and don't want to cancel. Is it really having engine troubles and has any cruises been cancelled so far?

Any info you can give me will be appreciated..............:cool:

(I tried the search feature here, but could not find any old info).

Unfortunately, all the Millenium class ships have suffered repeated problems with their Mermaid Pod Propulsion systems, and the manufacturer has yet to come up with a permanent solution. There have been periodic problems and cancellations, but passengers are well compensated if this occurs ( 100% refunds and a free future cruise) and they are relativley rare. We have sailed Summit 3 times, and would not hesitate to do so again. It is unlikely you will be affected, but it is possible.

The current news on the summit can be accessed through these boards by clicking on "News"

I am booked on the 4/1/05 10-day sailing on the Summit.

A friend of mine just emailed me and was telling me terrible things about the Summit and how that particular class of ships is having trouble with their engines. I do not know anything about this---is this something new, or something to worry about? She told my mother and now my mother wants to cancel our 4/1/05 sailing on the Summit and switch to a different cruise line. I am so looking forward to the Summit and don't want to cancel. Is it really having engine troubles and has any cruises been cancelled so far?

Any info you can give me will be appreciated..............:cool:

(I tried the search feature here, but could not find any old info).

Hi Catnip !

Yes, there have been some problems & cancellations, but keep in mind, these problems have been very FEW & FAR Between.

If my opinion matters... I have 2 more Summit sailings booked within the next 9 months. I have zero hesitation to book Summit, or any other Celebrity Millennium class ship.

Summit is a totally wonderful ship. While the final decision has to be yours to make, I would suggest that you not let these concerns cancel your sailing.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Catnip,

I agree with Andy. Keep your plans for a while.

My wife and I are scheduled for a Summit Alaskan cruise next June. The Summit left drydock yesterday to resume her cruise schedule. They were forced to eliminate a weeklong cruise and shorten another cruise to get in this unscheduled drydock to check propulsion problems.

You don't have to do a search on the Celebrity board to find out more about the problems. There are two or three threads on the current and previous two pages about the change in the Summit schedule. Just "page down" through the posts until you find something about Summit in the topic. Ignore the "Summit Cabin XXX" posts.

Good Luck,

Les

Catnip,

Stay with Summit! We are. The chances of a problem during our 4/1/05 trip is small. Especially since it was just in drydock for repairs. And like someone said, if there is a problem we might get a free cruise, or at least some compensation. I am sticking with the 4/1/05 cruise!

Catnip,

Stay with Summit! We are. The chances of a problem during our 4/1/05 trip is small. Especially since it was just in drydock for repairs. And like someone said, if there is a problem we might get a free cruise, or at least some compensation. I am sticking with the 4/1/05 cruise!

Hi Rjack !

I am staying with the 4/1/05 Summit sailing too. No hesitation here whatsoever !

Regards,

Andy

I am booking the Summit four more times next year. The ship is great and if an engine goes out on your trip, the delays will probably not ruin the trip or be that much of a desruption to the overall schedule of port times.

I was on the Summit, on B2B, when the ship had its propulsion problem leading to the drydocking. The trip was still outstanding in everyway possible.

I am on a competitor's ship for my next B2B. Its not going to be the same level of service, entertainment, or food quality but the itenerary is unbeatable.

John

Archived