First Time taking a Cruise

kahunabd

We are going on the Mariner of the Seas cruise in November with the Hogs on The High Seas group and our cabin is 9502 which is right in the front of the ship. Just curious as to any thoughts on this since I have heard 2 different things, one person said it is rocky up front and the other person said it is not a problem since the ship is so big, makes no difference. Also curious if anyone has done the HOHS trip and can recommend trips when we stop in the various ports.

Thanks for all the responses forthcoming,

Kahuna

If you are able, I would try to change cabins. It is rockier up there and some people report hearing the anchor chain when they drop the anchor (they rarely do this anymore since there are so many piers and they use the thrusters when holding station to avoid damaging the coral reefs). If you can't don't sweat it.

I have never gone on the Hogs cruise but I've heard people rave about it. I've also heard a lot of comments on how nice the bikers (some people don't know they've accidently booked themselves on the same sailing).

There is one captain who keeps his own motorcycle on board and will ride it occasionally. I think it was Captain Johnny. But I could easily be wrong.

There is no such thing as an unenjoyable cruise. Have a great time!!

I cannot speak for the Mariner but we have had the same cabin at the front of the ship on the Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess two or three times. If the seas are calm you probably will not feel anything, perhaps just a gentle swaying which will just rock you to sleep like a baby. But if you encounter rough seas it could be a bit rocky.

If you are going to worry about it up until the day you leave, I would see about changing cabins to a location closer to the center of the ship - center being from front to back plus top to bottom.

Welcome to the boards and Bon Voyage!!!! :)

We are not worried about it, it was just that someone sent me an email on the HOHS boards to say that our cabin was not going to be comfortable as in lots of rocky times. Actually the people that run the Hogs cruise said it was a great spot as I initally requested a promenade cabin and she had this one open up as someone move up a few classes of rooms. Never been on a cruise and my wife and me are going to celebrate our 50th Birthdays on this trip!

Thanks,

Kahuna

Mariner is a wonderful ship! And Captain Johnny is a Harley man. You'll surely have an awesome first cruise.

I've only heard positive things about those cabins across the front of the ship. Unless it's unusually rough weather, you won't feel any more movement. We had a side facing cabin all the way forward on Deck 10, and it was no problem.

Having said that, a promenade cabin is a unique experience too. Consider whether you'd prefer to have an oceanview window with 9502, or a more midship location with an interior window overlooking the promenade. It's really a toss up, as both are special in their own way.

If seas get above 10-15 feet, you will feel it. There's no way around it! The ship's have stabilizers, but they only work on "side to side" motion--not up and down!

When you get out into the ocean, even the largest ship will feel pretty damn small--You WILL feel the motion of the ocean! It's the nature of the beast! Even in a midship room, you will feel it! And mind you--you don't stay in your room 24/7! You'll be all over the ship, so don't let room location deter you!

:D Thanks for the info, I almost positive we won't be changing. I see you just went on this ship too, can you recommend any port excursions?+

Thanks,

Kahuna

Eastern or western?

I highly recommend going over to the ports of call boards for each port you'll be visiting, and finding private tour guide in each place based on recommendations there. You'll have a much better experience, for much less money than booking through the ship.

In Ocho Rios, I highly recommend River Tubing and Dunns River Falls - we booked through Marva Shaw. She and her son are such wonderful ambassadors for their country, and took very good care of us. She has a variety of tour packages available, and will customize a tour for you if you don't find exactly what you want. Just google her name, and you'll find her site.

Archived