Las Palmas to Lisbon on Silver Wind May 4

mrscrab

We are booked on the above cruise and then follow (back to back) on to London Tower Bridge. The flight from London Gatwick to Las Palmas - British Airways, has been sold to the no frills airline Easyjet. I thought passengers joining need to know this as if you booked yourself over the internet this flight has been taken out of the British Airways system without notification to booked and paid passengers. Paying full fare for this flight which included meals and drinks now takes us into a position where nothing is included. Do check with Easyjet to see if they have your booking to Las Palmas, at this stage our TA is trying to sort out what is happening.

We live in Australia and knew nothing about this takeover so I did hope my note would alert other people if they were on this flight. We have received no notification from either BA or Easyjet. We are booked and paid for both the cruise and flights. We have several Silversea cruises under our belt and know that unless you use the pre cruise flight and hotel provided by Silversea you are on your own getting to the ship. So Lord of the Seas you are wrong about this notification. I thought this message board was fun and a good insight to Silversea or any cruise for that matter but find your very blunt reply

rather offputting.

And make sure you know what the luggage restrictions are (one tiny piece of hand-luggage and I guess one suitcase with max 15kg...) plus what extra charges you now have to pay (for extra bags/weight, for putting luggage into-hold, for checking-in at airport, for an assigned seat, for food and drink on board)... :mad:

Seriously, you may better off finding a new flight and canceling your current reservation! Try

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego

Good luck!

Thankyou, we are leaving this to our TA, the alternatives over the net are pretty gruesome ie 12hours 30 minutes for what should only take 4 hours 20mins. WAIT for the next episode, we need a friend with a private jet!!

Dear Mrscrab,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the airlines. I agree with MJN1 that it might be best for your to find new flights. Less stress before you join the ship in Las Palmas. :confused:

I hope that we'll meet on the Lisbon to London segment of your back to back voyages. There are 4 of us travelling together, spending 2 nights at the Lapa Palace before boarding on May 13th. Please look me up onboard.

Would be nice to have cocktails with other cruisecritic members.

Please keep us informed on how you solve your problem.

Thanks for sharing.

ScottToronto

We are booked on the above cruise and then follow (back to back) on to London Tower Bridge. The flight from London Gatwick to Las Palmas - British Airways, has been sold to the no frills airline Easyjet. I thought passengers joining need to know this as if you booked yourself over the internet this flight has been taken out of the British Airways system without notification to booked and paid passengers. Paying full fare for this flight which included meals and drinks now takes us into a position where nothing is included. Do check with Easyjet to see if they have your booking to Las Palmas, at this stage our TA is trying to sort out what is happening.

Hi MrsCrab...

Just curious...did you book this via ba.com or some other internet site? If it's ba.com you should've received an email advising of the sale and your options. The same should be the case if you booked it via another site, (i.e. Expedia)

I'm disembarking the ship in Las Palmas and booked my return ticket via Expedia (on Spanair to Barcelona) and there were flight changes. I received emails from Expedia advising the schedule changes.

Assuming emails were sent to you, could they have gone into your "SPAM" or "JUNK" folder?

We live in Australia and knew nothing about this takeover so I did hope my note would alert other people if they were on this flight. We have received no notification from either BA or Easyjet. We are booked and paid for both the cruise and flights. We have several Silversea cruises under our belt and know that unless you use the pre cruise flight and hotel provided by Silversea you are on your own getting to the ship. So Lord of the Seas you are wrong about this notification. I thought this message board was fun and a good insight to Silversea or any cruise for that matter but find your very blunt reply

rather offputting.

mrscrab,

I answered your question in a straight and honest way,I am sorry if it was not the answer that you wanted.

I have just asked a friend in Perth, Western Australia via email, who tells me that he knew about the sale to Easyjet and he is not even going on your trip.

We get the only daily paper printed in Perth delivered each morning, my husband watches the 4 tv channels of news for the 30minutes of news they deliver each evening, I read news on the internet and we still didn't know of this sale by BA to Easyjet.

We booked via British Airways who have my email address and mobile phone number. So it may come down to the fact that we are the most isolated capitol city in the World, albeit one of the most beautiful, and only receive news, our news editors decide pertain to Australians.

Emails I check on a regular daily basis so I doubt I have slipped something there.

Easyjet have not replied to 3 emails I have sent them to see if we have been put on a replacement flight, they take over the BA runs on March 29

As I said we are leaving it now to our TA and may spend a couple of nights in Madrid or the like to alleviate using a no frills airline. The one mentioned are experts at cancelling flights at 30 minutes notice.

Scott very kindly said, we don't need stress before jooining the Silver Wind, yes I look forward to meeting you on board Scott - mine's a champagne cocktail - whats yours?

We get the only daily paper printed in Perth delivered each morning, my husband watches the 4 tv channels of news for the 30minutes of news they deliver each evening, I read news on the internet and we still didn't know of this sale by BA to Easyjet.

We booked via British Airways who have my email address and mobile phone number. So it may come down to the fact that we are the most isolated capitol city in the World, albeit one of the most beautiful, and only receive news, our news editors decide pertain to Australians.

Emails I check on a regular daily basis so I doubt I have slipped something there.

Easyjet have not replied to 3 emails I have sent them to see if we have been put on a replacement flight, they take over the BA runs on March 29

As I said we are leaving it now to our TA and may spend a couple of nights in Madrid or the like to alleviate using a no frills airline. The one mentioned are experts at cancelling flights at 30 minutes notice.

Scott very kindly said, we don't need stress before jooining the Silver Wind, yes I look forward to meeting you on board Scott - mine's a champagne cocktail - whats yours?

Hi MrsCrab (or is it MrScrab?)

Here's an FAQ on ba.com - GB Airways sold to Easyjet so hopefully you'll find some helpful info there. If you booked directly with ba.com then it's odd you didn't receive an email. Although you check your emails frequently, sometimes these type of emails may end up in a "SPAM" or "JUNKMAIL" folder. Be that as it may....

I'm really so utterly surprised that the sale of GB Airways didn't make the front pages of the "West Australian!!!!" I would've thought it was headline making news, right up there with the election of a new government! (I'm being factetious!) :)

It's a good thing that you did find out, even if it was via an avenue you hadn't expected. I'm sure others who weren't aware of the sale and the effect it may have on travel plans appreciate you posting it here.

We are on the same two segments as you, mrscrab. We too had booked with BA, and have just cancelled and received our refund. Our new booking is with Iberia. We now have to change planes in Madrid, and the trip will take most of the day, but that's modern aviation! Hope to meet you on board.

We shall probably do the same flight, what a nightmare for a flight that should only take just over 4 hours. Have had terrible time discussing things with BA, from Australia, I don't know about UK but any discussions have had to be done through their Call Center in India!! Yes watch out for us on board, maybe we should all have a drink with Scott.

Thankyou to every kind person who have given advice about BA giving up its flights to Las Palmas. Problem is now sorted with hopefully money paid returned to us. Because we shall be near the Lake District prior to the cruise we have booked out of Manchester on Thomsonfly. This is another no frills airline, we don't have much trust in any no frills airline but guess they get you to where you want to go. This flight is direct which alleviates going via Gatwick and Madrid.

Guess people in the UK are used to the extra payments these no frills want from passengers - its the first time in my life I have had to pay for baggage to go into the hold and then an extra 12 pounds to sit together.

Anyway its solved, I am still awaiting the email from Easyjet and the Indian call center. A very odd way to do business!! At least when we step foot on board the Wind we know we shall be floating on champagne for 18 days and enjoying some of the best service the world has to offer.

Thankyou again to all those who gave advice.

Archived