Need some advice on Maui

Sthronds

I will be on the Pride of Aloho and we are docking in Kahului (did I spell that right?). I know the ship offers a bus to Lahaina which I am planning to take. Here is my dilemma. I want to visit Maui Ocean Center and shop in Lahaina. Would I be able to get transportaion (cab, bus, etc.) from Lahaina to the Maui Ocean Center or should I just rent a car and do it all myself? I am travelling alone so keep that in mind when giving advice.Thanks!

-susan

Actually, the Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea is closer to Kahului where you dock than it is to Lahaina. If NCL America is running shuttles to Maalaea (whalewatching tours, shopping, restaurants), that might be an option. Otherwise, renting a car may be another option as well. I wouldn't take transportation from Lahaina to Maalaea. I would take a taxi from Kahului to the MOO instead. icon_smile.gif

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I read before that people thought the bus transport that NCL offered was way too expensive and I think I remember people saying that it was cheaper to rent a car. I believe the bus was $20 each way or something like that? Or maybe it was $10 each way per person and with 2 people, it was more ecconomic to rent a car.

If I remember right...Maui wasn't too hard to get around on and with your own car, you have much more flexibility. My major concern with going to Lahaina myself would be if there was a accident and it closed the road and you couldn't get back to the ship, you would be up a crick. And it does happen sometimes and it can virtually cut off that part of the island.

But then again, maybe I'm just paranoid about missing the ship...lol!

The Pride doesn't stop at both places on Maui?? I was thinking it did. If it does, then no problem. No need to go to Lahaina when you dock at Kahului, just do that area when you are anchored there.

I'm kind of tired, so I hope I'm making sense.

Aloha,

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Thanks for the help. The NCL shuttle is $25 round trip. It docks overnight in Kahului and I was planning on doing this the first day so there is no problem making it to the ship on time. Maybe renting a car would be my best bet. Still don't know what to do! This is the only day where I am up in the air about what to do. THanks again.

A taxi from Kahului to Lahaina and back runs more than car rental, so you are better off renting the car.

We just rented a car and it is nice to be able to set your own schedule and see what you wish. I do wish we had enjoyed two days on Maui, as one day wasn't enough to see much more than Haleakala, shop around Lahaina a bit, and do the luau. Guess we'll just have to visit again.

Nancy D.

Next destination? Alaska!

On Maui, we rent a convertible and put the top down and cruise the island. Only way to go. icon_biggrin.gif

Shelly

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;02;13;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

02/13/05 Pride of Aloha

One Open Booking with Pricess

(TBA)

Norweigan Wind 03/03

Norweigan Star 10/03

Coral Princess 04/04

Archived