Key West or Cayman Islands?

lilone

My fiance and I are trying to decide on a honeymoon cruise. We just got back from the Glory 2/2/08 and it was wonderful, which was our first cruise. I got lots of good information on this site. We are getting married in September and want to do a short cruise. Our options are Imagination-Miami, keywest and Cozumel or Inspiration-tampa, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. My question is which is better Key West or Cayman Islands as far as beach, excursions, shopping. Which will give more options of things to do. Thank you

If you are just comparing the ports, then I'd take the Grand Cayman/Cozumel trip without a doubt. We've done all of those ports and while Key West is charming, it does not have anywhere near as nice of beaches or crystal clear water as GC. Plus, I think you will find many more options for excursions on GC. Key West is a very charming old city that has a lot of history and some fun bars but if you are looking for water activities then GC and the shopping there is definetely more upscale and varied than you will find in Key West. Of course you want to take into consideration the ships you are on, but you've probably already done that.

Congratulations and Best Wishes for a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!:)

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :)

I'd visit Grand Cayman over Key West any day. Grand Cayman has lots of shopping, 7 mile beach (which is beautiful), Rum Point, Stingray Sandbar (which is totally amazing and we visit this every time we're on the island).

Key West is fun. We always enjoy our time there, but IMO, it in no way compare to Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is paradise. Also, Key West has very few beaches. And none, that I recall, are near the area where the ships dock. But there could be, we've driven down to Key West and we usually stay at the Reach Resort (their beach is man-made, I believe, and not much to it). It was a disappointment for our kids after visiting Grand Cayman and the beaches there.

One thing to factor in is Grand Cayman is a tender island, and many times it's passed by because of choppy waters. I think all ships dock in Key West, so you'd have a better chance of actually visiting two places if you choose KW and Cozumel. But I'd take the chance with Grand Cayman. It's total paradise. :)

Whatever you end up doing, have a wonderful time!

I agree with the others, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are both great places. Key West is way too touristy and crowded (IMO). In Cozumel check out the Fury Catamaran, it is a blast. Snorkeling (if you want, I didn't) then off to a private island with lots of water toys and a barbeque lunch (you pay for it). On the way back, all the free beer, margaritas, water you want. Once back on land, you gotta check out Carlos and Charlies and Senor Frogs. Theres lots of great shopping close to these two FUN places. Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches and also great shopping, easy to get around on your own. Have a great time.;)

...I'm plugging the place I live but Cayman is way better than Key West.

I've stayed in Key West on vacation and it's a great stay-over place but the only real cruise attraction seems to be doing the 'Duval Crawl' - an exercise in seeing whether you can drink in every bar on Duval Street and get back on the ship safely. Trust me - pretty it is not!

Without a doubt Grand Cayman. Been there twice. Once did Stingray City and snorkeling, 2nd time just explored 7 Mile Beach. Both AMAZING! The stingrays were incredible. I highly recommend that excursion. If you go, be sure to take an underwater camera! And lying on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, well, that speaks for itself. Beautiful island, very friendly people.

BTW, congratulations! You'll enjoy your honeymoon no matter what you do. ;)

I think both places are fun to visit. Depends on what you like to do. Cayman's beaches are awesome, sting ray city is a must to experience. If you like to drink.......Key West is defiantly the place for that.:)

I like beaches and cocktails so I enjoyed visits to both.

If I had to choose between the two, I take Cayman.

I live in Key West, but I'd definitely say Grand Cayman! To be honest, our beaches and snorkling here in Key West aren't great, so all that leaves is bar hopping, shopping, and hitting some minor historical sites. Don't get me wrong -- Key West is a fun little place, but the beaches & water in Grand Cayman are way better!!

Archived