Hi-new to this thread-booking question...

cruisnmom3

What are the best ways to book on Royal Caribbean or NCL? (and cheapest?)we've only done Carnival but both of those go out of NY and will be an option for us in the future...we have two children ages 2 and 4 and one on the way so will need space for 5...any advice is appreciated...

also, are these lines ok for little ones or should we stick with Carnival and Disney for awhile? This will be our third on Carnival, mainly b/c the kids club starts at age 2...but I want to branch out and hear the other ships are nicer?? Thanks!

Hi!

I've got two children ages 2 and 5.

I've sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL. I'd say Carnival and NCL are pretty comparable. IMO, the biggest difference between the two is NCL's freestyle dining program, which makes dining with little ones A LOT easier. All three NCL ships out of NY have top notch kid's programs and facilities. Their Kid's Crew starts at age 2. We had such a great time on the Spirit out of NYC last year, we're sailing her again this May:D

For a family of 5, you would either have to get a suite that accomadates 5 or 2 adjoining cabins (with a connecting door).

Here's a link to my review of the NCL Spirit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026&highlight=kercar

Good luck:)

I've sailed RCCL, Carnival, NCL and Disney...we prefer RCCL, no doubt.

But if the kids clubs are important to you, then stay with NCL or Carnival for the next few years until the kids turn 3 (when they can go to Adventure Ocean on RCCL)

On Carnival & NCL, the kids must be potty trained to use the pools.

On RCCL Freedom Class ships, there are "Baby Zones" for diaper wearing infants/toddlers. And on RCCL, they have in cabin sitting at night for any child age 1 and over.

Michele-in cabin sitting would be all we needed-just one or two nights to get out for a bit. Going to cehck out RCCL

KerCar-thanks for the link to your review-it sounds great-my family is from NY and we live in MA so driving to NY to board was very convenient, esp with all of the extra stuff I needed for DD#2 who was 8 months old at the time. We are going on Carnival out of Tampa in a month (mainly due to timing) but I would do another NY cruise in a minute and will definitely check out norwegian. I heard the cabins were small-is that true?

How would you guys recommend booking in order to get the best deals? Are there specific websites you use? Or do RCCL and NCL have PVP's like Carnival?

Lori

How would you guys recommend booking in order to get the best deals? Are there specific websites you use? Or do RCCL and NCL have PVP's like Carnival?

Lori

I find that the best cruise booking strategy is to:

1. Do your own research to determine the best cruiseline and itinerary for you and your family.

2. Book a cruise while onboard a cruise of the same line to get the free onboard credits. If you aren't already going to be cruising, try to get a family member or friend to book while they are onboard.

3. Book early and directly with the cruise line. Keeping the booking directly with the cruise line makes it much easier when dealing with price decreases, changing staterooms, changing dinner seatings, etc. since there is no middleman.

4. Find a good travel agent who will help you and will offer you "freebies" such as onboard credits and/or gifts.

5. Just before final payment or as late as feasible, transfer the booking to a good travel agent.

Good luck!

Lori

RCCL's prices are the same everywhere. They don't allow one site to offer a discount over another. What I do is to go to www.rccl.com and price out the different times/year.

I do the same with Carnival. I just go to the site and look at the cheapest times of the year.

The week that everyone goes back to school (the last 2 weeks of August) are always cheaper. And Sept/Oct and then the week after Thanksgiving.

On RCCL's site you'll see dates marked with a red "HOT"...those are the deals.

I heard the cabins were small-is that true?

IMO, all cruise ship cabins are small;) Haven't been lucky enough to stay in suite yet, though. I've heard that NCL's cabins are slightly smaller than Carnival's, but I couldn't tell one way or another. The bathroom we had on the Spirit was the best we've had. The shower was nice and big with a glass door.

Lori

Carnival, Celebrity, and RCCL prices are pretty much set in stone, so I'd basically follow Crusinmama's advice for those lines. You can still price shop for NCL. I usually book through online TA's.Our last two cruises I've booked using the site were you enter in the info for the cruise you want and the online TA's "compete" to give you the lowest quote. We are not allowed to post website names on this board. Try doing a Google search for "cruise quotes".

Good luck:D

Thanks-got it :)

PS: If you end up getting a quote you like or when booking with an online TA in general, be sure to confirm their quote includes all taxes, port charges, and the new fuel supplement. Also, make sure their are no hidden booking fees and find out if they have a cancellation policy.

I am with cruisinmama06 for another RCCL vote. My kids were 6 and 8 at their last sailing and we leave again in May to head out again!! As far as 5 in a room BOOK EARLY!!!! I am not sure which ship you are looking at but RCCL's Freedom class ships have family staterooms reserved for families with at least 5!!! Typically it may not be the "cheapest" ship but purchasing only 1 stateroom on one of those ships (Freedom of the Sea or Liberty of the Sea) maybe cheaper than sailing another ship and getting 2 staterooms.

Ok soI called RCCL and here is the scoop. The Liberty of the Sea is higher priced now for an interior family room but the Freedom has some for less. The rates are a little high but again cheaper than getting 2 rooms. Here is whatI was told.

Freedom has a family room open May 25th for a HUGE amount of 2322.87 for 1st and 2nd passenger and the cost for the 3rd-6th passenger is 907.87.!!!!! Holy cow!! The prices are inclusive of all taxes/port charges/fuel etc, but not tips. They have a room open Sept 28th for 1103.00 for 1st and 2nd and 463.00 for 3rd-6th. Not too bad really!!!!! They told me those rooms sell out fast and trhe Freedom is pretty much sold out for all dates in between those two!!

The room is basically a suite. It is interior, but 340 sqft with 2 bedrooms and a pull out couch in the living area.

Hope this helps.

We did the Freedom adn we are getting readyto do the Liberty. It is the ship for kids in RCCL's fleet. Loaded with activities!!!

I am with cruisinmama06 for another RCCL vote. My kids were 6 and 8 at their last sailing and we leave again in May to head out again!! As far as 5 in a room BOOK EARLY!!!! I am not sure which ship you are looking at but RCCL's Freedom class ships have family staterooms reserved for families with at least 5!!! Typically it may not be the "cheapest" ship but purchasing only 1 stateroom on one of those ships (Freedom of the Sea or Liberty of the Sea) maybe cheaper than sailing another ship and getting 2 staterooms.

Ok soI called RCCL and here is the scoop. The Liberty of the Sea is higher priced now for an interior family room but the Freedom has some for less. The rates are a little high but again cheaper than getting 2 rooms. Here is whatI was told.

Freedom has a family room open May 25th for a HUGE amount of 2322.87 for 1st and 2nd passenger and the cost for the 3rd-6th passenger is 907.87.!!!!! Holy cow!! The prices are inclusive of all taxes/port charges/fuel etc, but not tips. They have a room open Sept 28th for 1103.00 for 1st and 2nd and 463.00 for 3rd-6th. Not too bad really!!!!! They told me those rooms sell out fast and trhe Freedom is pretty much sold out for all dates in between those two!!

The room is basically a suite. It is interior, but 340 sqft with 2 bedrooms and a pull out couch in the living area.

Hope this helps.

We did the Freedom adn we are getting readyto do the Liberty. It is the ship for kids in RCCL's fleet. Loaded with activities!!!

Archived