RCCL excursion question

LunaSmiles

I am asking this excursion question here because I believe it is RCCL specific - it is offered through their Shore and Excursion page and hopefully I will get a more detailed explanation than I would in the main excursion section.

I am considering the Jamaica excursion called Chukka 4x4 Safari Adventure and Dunn's River Falls offered through RCCL. There are a few details I can't get answered and hopefully someone here can help.

This excursion is 5 hours long. Is there a place they stop at so we can eat? The description says nothing about lunch provided, but I was hoping there would be a lunch stop. Does anybody ever take food with them from the ship and is that allowed?

Also, I've heard different things about climbing the falls. Do they MAKE you hold hands with your group as you are going up? And how many people are in a group? The 4x4 portion of this trip leads me to believe it would be a fairly small group because only a small group can fit in the vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!

I am asking this excursion question here because I believe it is RCCL specific - it is offered through their Shore and Excursion page and hopefully I will get a more detailed explanation than I would in the main excursion section.

I am considering the Jamaica excursion called Chukka 4x4 Safari Adventure and Dunn's River Falls offered through RCCL. There are a few details I can't get answered and hopefully someone here can help.

This excursion is 5 hours long. Is there a place they stop at so we can eat? The description says nothing about lunch provided, but I was hoping there would be a lunch stop. Does anybody ever take food with them from the ship and is that allowed?

Also, I've heard different things about climbing the falls. Do they MAKE you hold hands with your group as you are going up? And how many people are in a group? The 4x4 portion of this trip leads me to believe it would be a fairly small group because only a small group can fit in the vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!

I haven't been on this specific excursion but similar. They will have multiple jeeps, so you could have 30-40 people on the tour. Not saying you will but it is possible. We held hand going up the falls.

You are not allowed to bring any fresh food off the ships only prepackaged things. Grab a box of cereal from the buffet or bring sealed crackers or similar from home.

If I remember right there is a snack bar at Dunn River........... and no they dont make you hold hands.... they have "spotters" in certain areas to help..... and they are there at the end to help you out.... for tips!!

I cannot tell you about the 4x4 adventure, but I have been to Dunn's River Falls and you do need to hold hands going up. The person in front of you helps you have some leverage going up the falls. The groups going up the falls can be quite large especially on the time of year you go. There were 3 or 4 human chains going up the falls when we went. You really cannot do it without a guide or holding hands. I also can tell you that food options at the falls are not so great.

I just posted this at the same time "mndty" did. The timing of when you go must be everything. Perhaps when it was more crowded the way it was done is different than when it was less crowded. We defifnitely had to hold hands along with the other few hundred people that were there last June.

I just did this excursion in Dec.

There are a few stops where you can eat. At the first stop, there is a little snack area where you can buy a snack. At the second stop, they serve you a small amount of fruit and drinks. If you tend to get hungry often, then you might want to bring your own food.

The vehicles hold about 9 people, but you will be in a convoy of 5 or so vehicles. Depending on when you get to the falls, it may be very crowded, there so there may be many hundreds of people climbing the falls.

Traditionally, you hold hands, but there are several places where it's actually easier not to hold hands. Basically, everyone helps everyone else up past the tough spots.

I just did this excursion in Dec.

There are a few stops where you can eat. At the first stop, there is a little snack area where you can buy a snack. At the second stop, they serve you a small amount of fruit and drinks. If you tend to get hungry often, then you might want to bring your own food.

The vehicles hold about 9 people, but you will be in a convoy of 5 or so vehicles. Depending on when you get to the falls, it may be very crowded, there so there may be many hundreds of people climbing the falls.

Traditionally, you hold hands, but there are several places where it's actually easier not to hold hands. Basically, everyone helps everyone else up past the tough spots.

Archived