Cozumel "Discover Scuba Diving"

Madd Maxx

Ok don't laugh or laugh if you want her is my statement before my question. My wife and I signed up for this excursion on the RCL in Cozumel. WHY? I have been diving for forty years. I noticed the dives in Roatan want your log up to date, this is good, so we decided to do the Discover Scuba and get our log signed off. "Forgive me father it has been four years since I last entered the depths." Say three Hail Mary's and get your log signed off.

I don't have a problem with recurrent training and am not so vain as to say I know it all. I could fake the log but never have.

I ask the experienced divers out there does this sound like its worth it and may be fun?

I ask the experienced cruisers have you done this and was it fun?

Thanks All

I am certifed, but had not been diving since 1999 when I was certified. I was vertified in NY and did check out dives in the Long Island sound where you really can't see a thing! So, I never had interest again becasue I did not ever really get a taste of clear water diving.

On a recent cruise to St. Maarten, DH (who is not certified) and I signed up for a discover class - for him to try it and for me to refresh. I really enjoyed it. Got the bug back to do more diving - and signed up for a tour at our next port in the Bahamas, which unfortunately the port was cancelled due to weather and the inability to tender. However, Princess cancelled a dry dock on the ship we were just on and we signed uo for a 4 night "coastal sampler" with one of the ports to Grand Turk and the other the Bahamas (their resort) where we missed last time. So looking forward to diving again!

Doing a refresher course sounds like a great idea, but I would suggest you get comfortable under water through your local dive shop (if one is available). There are courses designed for people in your situation. I've never done discover scuba, but in Coz, they did it behind a bar we were sitting at and it did not look very fun. I'm sure they saw more people than fish and it is a shame to miss the chance to see such beautiful scenery to look at other cruisers. And remembering safety skills wasn't something they seemed to emphasize.

Also, I've never had anyone in Roatan (or anywhere else) check out my dive log. As long as you are up front about your comfort level with the DM, most try to accomodate the skill level of the divers. Feeling comfortable is definately a priority, but I'm not sure Discover Scuba is a good way to achieve feeling comfortable under water.

Ok don't laugh or laugh if you want her is my statement before my question. My wife and I signed up for this excursion on the RCL in Cozumel. WHY? I have been diving for forty years. I noticed the dives in Roatan want your log up to date, this is good, so we decided to do the Discover Scuba and get our log signed off. "Forgive me father it has been four years since I last entered the depths." Say three Hail Mary's and get your log signed off.

I don't have a problem with recurrent training and am not so vain as to say I know it all. I could fake the log but never have.

I ask the experienced divers out there does this sound like its worth it and may be fun?

I ask the experienced cruisers have you done this and was it fun?

Thanks All

I've been on a Discover Scuba after I got certified. I just wanted to get a little more diving in and the boat was going out with a Discover Scuba group of 10 people.

At first, it was not fun. I didn't know the area well enough to go off on my own so I waited for the dive master. As I waited I had two people kick the regulator out of my mouth. I wasn't expect it so it was pretty annoying. I got out of the way and stay at the back of the group. I spent my time making sure everyone stayed in front of me. Once I realized I had to give these guys a wide berth, it was kind of fun watching the stupidity.

I did this while staying at a resort. I'm not sure if the cruise ship crowd is the same.

Archived