Art Auctions

-ClevelandRocks-

Anyone watch INSIDE EDITION last nite? They were investigating the company, Park West Gallery, that holds the art auctions on cruise ships. They never showed a Carnival ship but they did show RCCL. Anyway, it's big scam!!! I'm sure this isn't news to most of you, but I'd hate to see new people ripped off. One couple got $9K back as a result of the program. Another couple got took for $27K. The cheap jewery sales on board are the same thing, a big rip-off. Caveat Emptor!!!

The great thing about this board is all the discussions we have. This in particular has been discussed a lot. In previous posts people have received good deals (yes, from Park West) and I remember others have talked about receiving good deals on jewelry during the heavy discounts at the end of the cruise.

But everyone should always remember. Don't buy something if you don't know anything about the value of it. They (the cruise lines) try to get you to make emotional buying decisions. DON'T DO IT.

Know what you are buying, make sure you can afford what you are spending, and wait, buy it the nest day. You will be satisfied with your purchase.

Kevin from Mpls.

I agree with RevKev!

While we were waiting in line to pay for the shipping on our "free" art we "won", my husband saw a painting (by Marc Jacobs) he really liked, but didn't LOVE. Anyway, the director of the auction tried many different tactics to get my dh to purchase the painting. He even threw in the old, "What, you can't afford it?" Let's just say that's NOT the right approach to go with my dh if you actually want to make a sell. If I had not wanted the "free" picture, he came within a gnat's eyelash of walking out of the room. Instead he responded quite well with, "Oh I can afford it, I just do not make investment purchases without doing my homework and knowing the true value. You're eagerness to dump it tells me it is considerably overpriced."

Be careful, buy if you like it, not because you think of it as an investment.

Do you really expect investment bargins when they serve you up front cheap champaign? It is what it is. If you can get it for the same price you would pay on land including the frame and can carry it off the ship without them shipping it to you then you've saved the sales tax. I knew they were phoney when they had the "No offer refused" sale. They turned down my offer which I though was more than generous. What I can't figure out from that TV report is they found a couple that spent $27,000 on art on a cruise and admited they didn't know the first thing about art. They would have been better off to have spent that money in the slots on the ship.

We watched an older gentleman purchase 6 Peter Maxx paintings, they paid over $30k for them! I just sat there with my mouth wide open wondering what in the heck this old man was thinking! I wanted to jump up and yell, "Grandpa, I told the hospital I would be responsible for you...Mr. Auctioneer, please excuse Gramps, as he hasn't been of sound mind in many years!"....Just to try to save this man from himself!

I guess it takes all kinds.

I enjoyed going to people watch when it was raining outside....oh man, they take advantage of people who are drinking or so taken by the song and dance.

Wish I had seen that. I am an Artist, I even have a degree that says so.:)

The first cruise I took I had to check out the art auction. Talk about walking out in shock:eek:

I do know one thing. the Artist that do get the work sold though them, are not getting the big money they are chargeing for that art work.

Over the past 20 years, I've bought maybe 12-15 Park West items and haven't regretted any of them. I think the most I ever paid was about $350 while most have been in the $100-$250 range. I bought them because they "spoke" to me in one way or another and were also very nice trip mementos which make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy every time I look at them. I tend to like art deco, and some of the Fanch Ledans, Tarkays, and Linda LeKinffs have a very "deco" look. And, if you've been to the Greek Isles, the Medevev works return you there in the blink of an eye.:)

I think anyone who is "investing" in art is not very bright unless they either are an expert or are receiving expert advice on their "investment". :rolleyes:

Park West comes to a lot of cities about four times a year. Fortunately, Charlotte is one of those cities, and at their land-based auctions, all the works are already framed which makes them a much better deal than the ship auctions, although on-board you do have the option of picking out your own frame when you get home.

The auctions are not a "rip-off". They are an entertaining function which has the potential to provide an "investment", but should really be considered a form of entertainment which will provide the buyer with a nice memento from the cruise.

As with most of the things in life, you have options. If you don't like the art auctions don't go, and please don't go out of your way to rain on the parade of those who do find them a positive experience. :cool:

Over the past 20 years' date=' I've bought maybe 12-15 Park West items and haven't regretted any of them. I think the most I ever paid was about $350 while most have been in the $100-$250 range. I bought them because they "spoke" to me in one way or another and were also very nice trip mementos which make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy every time I look at them. I tend to like art deco, and some of the Fanch Ledans, Tarkays, and Linda LeKinffs have a very "deco" look. And, if you've been to the Greek Isles, the Medevev works return you there in the blink of an eye.:)

I think anyone who is "investing" in art is not very bright unless they either are an expert or are receiving expert advice on their "investment". :rolleyes:

Park West comes to a lot of cities about four times a year. Fortunately, Charlotte is one of those cities, and at their land-based auctions, all the works are already framed which makes them a much better deal than the ship auctions, although on-board you do have the option of picking out your own frame when you get home.

The auctions are not a "rip-off". They are an entertaining function which has the potential to provide an "investment", but should really be considered a form of entertainment which will provide the buyer with a nice memento from the cruise.

As with most of the things in life, you have options. If you don't like the art auctions don't go, and please don't go out of your way to rain on the parade of those who do find them a positive experience. :cool:[/quote']

Well said.

We've enjoyed the pieces we bought at auction on our cruises, very much. And, more than once, we've been big winners in the drawings. And, we've enjoyed everyone we've met during the auctions.

In my opinion it's like buying a timeshare (we have six of them). We didn't buy them as investments but because we like to vacation and eventually my husband will retire...after that one for each kiddeo and one for someone else, not sure who. We know that no matter how much we've been told that they're a "great investment" that that simply is not the case.

I feel sorry for those who have purchased the prints or lithiographs thinking that they are getting a bargain though. Buyer beware, is always the best policy.

Oh, I saw the show last night as well....they really gave Park West a black eye. I thought that Carnival was going to start doing their own auctions and not use an outside contractor?

In my opinion it's like buying a timeshare (we have six of them). We didn't buy them as investments but because we like to vacation and eventually my husband will retire...after that one for each kiddeo and one for someone else, not sure who.

Might I make a suggestion on that? ;)

Archived