Barbados Car Rentals

TTCruiser

I don't wish to be a downer, cause I'd do it again; but a few years ago I reserved online a pierside van since I was with a group of 8. When we arrived, they had no vans - we were given two cars for the price of a van.

It was a nice day. We went to Harrison's Cave, then to the beach near Folkstone, but we also go lost and saw a lot of the interior (inadvertantly). Barbados has very few road signs and getting lost going into or through the interior is almost inevitable.

MAJOR TIP: In the absence of road signs, TAKE A COMPASS. Barbados' roads nearly all run either North-South or East-West with a coastal road encircling the island. If you're in the interior and you know which direction N-S-E-W you are driving you'll know approximately where you'll end up when you hit the coastal road. A compass will alleviate a lot of uncertainty since the island is big enough to keep you driving without the sea in sight for fair amounts of time.

Wow, great advice. We just came back from a day trip in Barbados, and decided to rent a car. The name of the company slips my mind (starts with an 'S' I think), but it was the only one near the cruise docks. I'll post the name later.

Yes, the lack of signs are a real issue, especially in roundabouts. We also ended up in the interior somewhere for a good while. We found maps to be useless, however, the locals were a great help. Very freindly, and always looking to lend a hand. We asked for help a few times, and eventually found our way.

Not sure if GPS's work there, but if so, I'd say it's a necessity. If not, then a compass and a detailed map should suffice. And again, our experience with asking for directions from the locals was very positive. We loved this island and will definitely be returning!

Archived