So how formal is formal??

curlymama

I'm going on my very first cruise on the Valor in a couple of months, and I just wanted to know how dressed-up do the majority of the people get for the formal and semi-formal nights? I certainly wouldn't be showing up in shorts and a tank-top, but I don't want to pack anything that needs to be ironed if it's not necessary.:p

From Carnival's website, FAQs:

You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

My experience has been that the majority dress appropriately for dinner.

Enjoy your first cruise!!

Yeah, what she said! Actually, I have seen formal night , people dress in sequins and sparkles, really dressy, but if thats not your thing, you dont have to get that dressed up. I have also seen young people wearing dressy shirts, the kind the kids go clubbing in, without a jacket or tie. A nice dress is always appropriate. Women are allowed to wear dressy tank type tops, its the men that cant wear a tank top to the dining room.

Anyway, do what your comfortable with, however we always enjoy the dress-up night, dining in the dining room on lobster and prime rib.

As long as you don't wear jeans, shorts, tee-shirt or tank tops tennis shoes or flip-flops you probably won't get ostracized by anyone on these boards after your cruise. If you do a search, you will find many threads on this subject and VERY strong opinions on it.

My 3rd CCL voyage coming up, and I wear dress pants, collar shirt and good shoes IF we choose to go to dinner on those nights. I don't wear a tie at work and have no desire to on vacation. DW wears a dress, as she likes to dress up.

I think Formal night is the wrong thing to call it. I also refer to it as "dress up night".

Most people tend to wear what I guess is their "best". Some people really get into dressing up, but MOST are more suited to a cocktail party and not a formal affair.

My last cruise, I got up and walked around. Not one tux could I find. But you usually do see one or two at each seating.

In the end, just wear what you want. As long as it is not shorts/bathing suit/beach type wear you will be fine.

In the end, just wear what you want. As long as it is not shorts/bathing suit/beach type wear you will be fine.

As to be expected, the anti-dress code people are already jumping on this thread, too. Their mission is to brainwash everyone as frequently and loudly as they can that the dress code requested by the cruise line be disrespected and that formal nights be abolished. They are a very small, but extremely loud and vocal minority.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the people on cruise ships (Carnival included) honor the dress code. You will see 90% or more of the men wearing either tuxes (the person who said they didn't see a single tux on their cruise is either blind or had perhaps imbibed way too much), dark suits with ties, or sports coats or blazers with ties. I would put the percentages at about 30% for each of these types of dress. Another 7% or so will be wearing a sports jacket or blazer without a tie, maybe 2% a pair of slacks or dockers and a dress shirt with no tie, and 1% or less just wearing dockers and a polo shirt or other casual shirt.

Those who tell you otherwise are either extremely unobservant or are shamelssly twisting the facts to push their own Dumbing of America agenda.

It's that simple. :D

As to be expected, the anti-dress code people are already jumping on this thread, too. Their mission is to brainwash everyone as frequently and loudly as they can that the dress code requested by the cruise line be disrespected and that formal nights be abolished. They are a very small, but extremely loud and vocal minority.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the people on cruise ships (Carnival included) honor the dress code. You will see 90% or more of the men wearing either tuxes (the person who said they didn't see a single tux on their cruise is either blind or had perhaps imbibed way too much), dark suits with ties, or sports coats or blazers with ties. I would put the percentages at about 30% for each of these types of dress. Another 7% or so will be wearing a sports jacket or blazer without a tie, maybe 2% a pair of slacks or dockers and a dress shirt with no tie, and 1% or less just wearing dockers and a polo shirt or other casual shirt.

Those who tell you otherwise are either extremely unobservant or are shamelssly twisting the facts to push their own Dumbing of America agenda.

It's that simple. :D

Like I said, some people have strong opinions. Now watch this post degenerate into name calling and a whole discussion on 'rules and enforcement' and 'I'm on vacation so I'll wear shorts if I want to' and so on... :eek:

Essentially you have two very diverse points of view on this subject, both of which get passionate.

Yeah, what she said! Actually, I have seen formal night , people dress in sequins and sparkles, really dressy, but if thats not your thing, you dont have to get that dressed up. I have also seen young people wearing dressy shirts, the kind the kids go clubbing in, without a jacket or tie. A nice dress is always appropriate. Women are allowed to wear dressy tank type tops, its the men that cant wear a tank top to the dining room.

Anyway, do what your comfortable with, however we always enjoy the dress-up night, dining in the dining room on lobster and prime rib.

If women can wear tank tops then so can men or its discrimination. I'd file a lawsuit if you see a woman wearing a tank top and they don't let you wear one. I actually shave the hair off my shoulders so I think I should be able to wear a tank top if I want to.

faq.gifspacer.gifIs there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

After reading that, it's evident that the minimum for men on a formal night is a sport coat, shirt and tie with slacks. That's not too demanding. Neither suits nor tuxes are required. I saw very few wearing tuxes on my 6-day Liberty cruise last Spring on the first formal night and even fewer on the second. I had an early seating. So maybe that had something to do with it as well.

My son is 8 and will wear a button down shirt and khakis with no tie. That's what I see for most children on formal nights and nobody has said a word to me about doing this.

That's unfortunate.

It’s a real ego boost to the well dressed kids on formal nights getting all the compliments. The look of delight as they receive these accolades is priceless!

I love to get dressed up for formal night. My husband owns his own tux. I do look at what others wear. NOW: having said that, we just got off the Pride on Sunday and this is what I saw--wasn't ignoring, wasn't drinking--I counted fewer than 12 tuxedos the first formal night and fewer the second. Newer saw so many men in sport coats, no tie, open collar sport shirts, or just shirts with no coat or tie. Blue jeans, some with cowboy boots and cowboy hats--not removed, even a couple of ball caps that were not removed durng dinner. Lots of women in what I would think are dresses won to church or to work. Most "unforma formal night" I have seen in over 25 cruises. But, the real surprise was that it was the younger people who were really dressed up. It was more of the 40-50+ group that totally ignored formal dress. Does it make a difference? Not sure, but I know by the end of the cruise I didn't care what I wore!

That's unfortunate.

It’s a real ego boost to the well dressed kids on formal nights getting all the compliments. The look of delight as they receive these accolades is priceless!

No doubt. Dressing up for formal nights was one of the highlights for my 14 yo son and my 11 yo daughter. (He kept the tux on all evening.) Plus, we managed to get Xmas presents for both sets of grandparents by ordering the canvas of one of the pictures. My sons tux is actually a black suit we got at Burlington Coat Factory for $50 and the shirt and tie was on sale for like $6.99.

Family2.jpg

I'm going on my very first cruise on the Valor in a couple of months, and I just wanted to know how dressed-up do the majority of the people get for the formal and semi-formal nights? I certainly wouldn't be showing up in shorts and a tank-top, but I don't want to pack anything that needs to be ironed if it's not necessary.:p

Curlymama, a little black dress works every time. And light to pack.

That's unfortunate.

Unfortunate for whom? You? My kids get dressed up and look great at enough events. This is dinner and and it provides more than a heightened chance for any kind of spill or staining on an 8-year old's clothes. My daughter, who's a little older, will look great in her dress. But for my own piece of mind, I know that a suit or jacket and tie at dinner would get ruined on my 8-year old boy and that would ruin my wife's dinner and that would ruin mine. I don't worry myself about the look of delight on my son's face at all times.

So it sounds like my DH won't get shot at for not wearing a tie? As long as he wears nice dress slacks, button up shirt and suit coat, he'll be accepted? He absolutely hates ties and would just rather eat at the lido deck. I love the lido food but I looked at the dinner menu's on here and I don't see any night that we could skip out on the dinner that is being served in the restaurants :p . It all looks soooo gooood.

Archived