Discover Scuba--Aruba or Cozumel?

stillcruisin'

My husband and I want to do the "Discover Scuba" excursion when we sail to the Caribbean in March (we'll be on Celebrity's Constellation). We just don't know which port would be better to do it--Aruba or Cozumel? In Aruba, the ship's excursion takes you somewhere in a boat; in Cozumel, you just go right there from the beach. Which excursion is the best? Has anyone done either (or both) of these tours who could shed some light? What did you like and not like about the tour(s)?

While I think the diving in Cozumel is superior to the diving in Aruba, I think that Aruba would be a better place for a Discover Scuba dive because of current. In Cozumel there is almost always a current, which would make it a little trickier for a discover scuba dive. In Aruba, you are much less likely to have to deal with a current. You'll still have a fun experience in either place.

We did it in Cozumel - on our own, not a cruiseline offering (we never do those). We cabbed to the marina, went out on a boat - not too far off shore. It was about 4 hours between "training" and diving. Waters about 30' deep, and it was great fun. I'm sorry but I do not remember who we went with... I'm sure I found them online.

My husband and I want to do the "Discover Scuba" excursion when we sail to the Caribbean in March (we'll be on Celebrity's Constellation). We just don't know which port would be better to do it--Aruba or Cozumel? In Aruba' date=' the ship's excursion takes you somewhere in a boat; in Cozumel, you just go right there from the beach. Which excursion is the best? Has anyone done either (or both) of these tours who could shed some light? What did you like and not like about the tour(s)?[/quote']

Hi,

While I agree with Bruce that you WILL do a "drift dive" in Cozumel, there are a lot more operators there so you're chance of finding someone will be a lot easier (I used Papa Hogs scuba center (the owner is Canadian which is a bit strange in Cozumel) to dive and other's in my group did a discover scuba with them and we all really liked them). Aruba will be a bit harder to find an operator and to be honest I didn't find the reefs that great. So it's dealing with current and seeing a lot of reef (which if you don't want to swim a lot this is a great way to dive (think tubing on a "lazy river"), or not seeing a lot but diving in calm waters).

Some things to think about,

Randall

Archived