Alaska cruises-which one?

montrealmaria

Hi, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers aged 17, 15 and 12.

There are so many cruise ships going to Alaska! We are from Montreal, so I think I would like to spend an extra week in Vancouver. Which cruise line do you recommend for a family such as us.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

maria

Looks like you should narrow your choices to Vancouver RT cruises or southbound ones ending in Vancouver. Itinerary should be the main consideration on an Alaskan cruise, with the ship being secondary in most cases. If you are wanting to do this in 2008, you'd better hop on it because many of these are already booked solid in the most popular times to go.

go to the alaska boards and read:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

lots of information posted there.

many do a week of traveling in mainland alaska...going to places like denali national park for the wildlife and such. since seeing wildlife on the inside passage cruise is hit or miss (unless on planned excursions).

there are several types of cruises.

round-trips: either seattle to seattle or vancouver to vancouver.

or 1 ways.

northbound from vancouver to either seward or whittier or

southboound from seward/whittier to vancouver.

these require flying in or out of anchorage. that's why so many choose do to land tours in this area. denali national park is north of anchorage.

Maria, we took our then 14-year old son on a Princess cruisetour, and he had a blast. We flew to Anchorage and spent a week visiting Denali and Fairbanks, then were transferred by train to Seward where we boarded the ship. We cruised southbound to College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau, before disembarking in Vancouver.

The Princess tour was outstanding. The transportation, tours, guides - every aspect went smoothly and was first-rate.

Take a look at several itineraries and do some research. It's a fantastic voyage. Your kids will love it.

• 1 month later...

We're mid 50's. We were young on the Norwegian Star Vancouver Inside Passage round trip cruise. The comedian even joked that the lounge was like a waiting room for the morgue, which wasn't funny as a passenger did pass away on this cruise. I understand that Norwegian is usually a very good cruise, but I wouldn't recommend this ship. Everything: service, food, room steward, shows, was just a little below par. I understand that the Norwegian Sun does the same itenerary but isn't plagued with the same problems. I'd call and ask the median age of passengers on whatever cruise you choose to make sure your children can find like aged people to pal around with and that there are programs for them.

Hello,

I would look at Celebrity and RCCL as both of these cruise lines will provide you with a nice cruise experience in Alaska. Consider renting a car in Skagway and drive up into the Canadian Yukon, to Whitehorse. We have been to Alaska three times, including going with our then 16 year old son and 21 year old daughter and we had a wonderful time.

Involve all of your family members in the planning of the cruise. If you get your teens involved at this time, there is much less hassle down the road as they understand that a cruise is an adventure as well as a vacation.

In terms of cost, a round trip Vancouver to Vancouver might be less expensive than Vancouver to Seward or Whittier.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Hi, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers aged 17, 15 and 12.

There are so many cruise ships going to Alaska! We are from Montreal, so I think I would like to spend an extra week in Vancouver. Which cruise line do you recommend for a family such as us.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

maria

We are doing a R/T out of Vancouver on Carnival in Sept..Come join us! We will visit Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Glacier Bay..

Kelly

My recommendation is to pick an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. ;)

I would second that recommendation to pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The only two ships that I would really think twice about are the Celebrity Infinity and Millennium because of their all to frequent propulsion problems, that have impacted so many cruises over the years.

My recommendation would be a 7 day Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver return. The waters of the Inside Passage are calm and you will see lots of scenery on both sides of the ship. The Alaska Panhandle will give you a good taste of Alaska in the event you want to venture further north in the future. But you are sure to enjoy whatever you choose.

Hi,

We are taking our 15-1/2 year old granddaughter on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas --- Vancouver to Vancouver - July 12, 2008. We always take RCCL when we take our children and grandchildren. We have been on over 30 cruises and take other lines when we go "alone"!

RCCL does a good job with food and service and a GREAT job with teenagers!!!!!! I know you will enjoy your experience with RCCL.

Sheila

Archived