Pacific Waves

jigerman

Have cruised Caribbean four times now and was interested in either the Mexican Riveria or a Hawaiian cruise but have been advised by some that the Pacific waters are much rougher. My better half does struggle somewhat with motion problems and has worn a patch the last couple of cruises and is fine as long as she is wearing it. She can go without if it is fairly calm but once the seas kick up much she has to have it on. What is the general concensus, stay away or is there certain times when one can generally find calmer seas. We were thinking late February or early March.

Generally speaking, the first and last two days of a round trip Hawaii cruise can be quite rough. I've now done 5 sailings in that area, and there's always been at least one really rough day---the kind where you have to hang onto the railings in the hallways. But, as long as the patch works on your wife, she should be fine.

We did Hawaii in Apr and had no problems. We have seen it roughest in the Caribbean and Northeast.

The Mexican Rivera can be bouncy coming north after Cabo because you are going into the current / swells. We have been lucky on all of our Mex Riv trips and had smooth sailing.

Just the luck of the draw. :)

I've sailed to Hawaii and the MR, and did not experience any significantly rough seas on either one.

The roughest seas I've cruised in was on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, and we really got bounced around on that one for a couple of days.

But, IMO, you MIGHT have rough seas on any itinerary, depending on the weather. Or you might not. People post about it being bumpy the first couple of days out of LA as though it was always that way. Yes, it might be because of "clashing currents", but it is not always going to happen. So don't let that kind of stuff deter you. You say your wife's seasickness remedy works for her, so why not go the places you want to go. I'm doing my second r/t LA/Hawaii cruise next month because I enjoyed the first one so much.

Archived