QM2 27th May some questions?

nelly1

hi all i finally got a crossing booked for the queen mary leaving New York on May 27th and was just wondering if anybody else was travelling? i managed to convince my old dad to join me but he isnt really a night owl so im looking to see if there would be anyone to socilise with?

also a small question my Dad is a very plain eater as in the sample menues in the britannia seem to be too rich for him i was just wondering if they would provide plainer versions of the food in the brittania or is the food pretty much as is! ?.

also roughly what time do the bars etc open/close?

also any advice from you experienced passengers would be gratefully recieved

hope to see you on board

niall

We are booking this weekend for the same trip...

MY TA has sailed previously and says this is a cruise of a lifetime.

Will be travelling with dear old Dad too.

I was wondering the same thing abour the food but according to the TA

there is no problem you can request special diet needs if you have to.

There is a buffet also.

We are looking forward to the trip.

Hoping for calm seas..but have been told that we are not too worry this ship can handle it totally different from other cruise ships.

Have fun.:)

To our new posters, welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is so much information on the Cunard boards about the QM2.

For starters: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=104597

I am not smart enough to post more than one link in a post, so will make a few additional posts with more information.

Enjoy your crossing!!! The QM2 is an amazing ship.

Beth

Both Penny and Pepper have posted excellent reviews. Penny was on a Caribbean cruise and Pepper was on a transatlantic.

Here is a link to Penny's review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Here is a link to Pepper's review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Enjoy reading!

Beth

hi all i finally got a crossing booked for the queen mary leaving New York on May 27th and was just wondering if anybody else was travelling? i managed to convince my old dad to join me but he isnt really a night owl so im looking to see if there would be anyone to socilise with?

also a small question my Dad is a very plain eater as in the sample menues in the britannia seem to be too rich for him i was just wondering if they would provide plainer versions of the food in the brittania or is the food pretty much as is! ?.

also roughly what time do the bars etc open/close?

also any advice from you experienced passengers would be gratefully recieved

hope to see you on board

niall

How very nice to see you will make it after all--where there's a will, there's a way, as they say! Was it very hard to convince your Dad?

Don't worry too much about the menus: very often the fancy name describes fairly simple, and simply prepared foods--Canyon Ranch selections come to mind, and you can request that sauces be omitted, etc. But encourage him to try new things as well--that's what vacations are for!

Also, I think you may find a review by one of our CCers here to be of help--lots of very practical info that I plan to take with me for my upcoming crossing on the QM2 (I'm much more familiar with the QE2...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

And don't forget to join your roll call... Happy sailing

M-L

In addition to what M-L posted above, the Britannia always has available (not shown on the menu) steak, chicken and salmon.

If he is particularly uncomfortable with rich sauces and such, a quiet word to the maitre d' will bring the menus for the next day the night before, from which he can choose in advance, or discuss possible alterations, such as a meat without the sauce, or with just lemon juice as a seasoning, perhaps. They are always willing to accommodate, especially if notified in advance. If you are especially concerned, I would recommend a trip to the Britannia after boarding and getting your dining assignment car from your cabin to discuss any alterations or needs with the maitre d'.

Karie

Enjoy!

We are booking this weekend for the same trip...

MY TA has sailed previously and says this is a cruise of a lifetime.

Will be travelling with dear old Dad too.

I was wondering the same thing abour the food but according to the TA

there is no problem you can request special diet needs if you have to.

There is a buffet also.

We are looking forward to the trip.

Hoping for calm seas..but have been told that we are not too worry this ship can handle it totally different from other cruise ships.

Have fun.:)

hey there hope to see ya on board. i feel more comfortable now i know about the food situation. it took my dad alot of convincing and id hate for him to have a miserable time. im really looking forward to this trip as it will be my first cruise and on my dream ship hoping to meet with regular cunarders to regal me with talks of voyages past lol

see you on the 27th

niall

oops doh is right sorry i guess im still getting used to this bored but thank you for the link its real useful

And don't worry about the doh - I didn't read it as being directed at you, but as irritation at (yet another:D ) double posting by the board - if it happens to me & I notice, I usually go in a edit one of them, as do many others & sometimes it happens to be the first post that is edited, rather then the 2nd (or third etc)

welcome to the board & have fun on your cruise

How very nice to see you will make it after all--where there's a will, there's a way, as they say! Was it very hard to convince your Dad?

And don't forget to join your roll call... Happy sailing

M-L

thanks very much im soo looking forward to it!! yeah it was pretty hard to convince him but he caved in the end lol

ok im gonna play the dim card whats a roll call? sorry lol

thanks for all the replys

niall

thanks very much im soo looking forward to it!! yeah it was pretty hard to convince him but he caved in the end lol

ok im gonna play the dim card whats a roll call? sorry lol

thanks for all the replys

niall

You're quite welcome!

A roll call is a special thread, found in a dedicated are of the boards, and you will find the one for your crossing in the link provided in post number three, above. It's an area where fellow passengers exchange information relating more specifically to the sailing they are taking together. It does not prevent you from posting here, but allows you to start getting to know the people you may interact with more on your particular trip. They usually list the passengers, dining rooms and seating times, and include first names if one so desires. No last names are used, and generally cabin numbers are kept private--for obvious reasons. The roll call will also alert you to the CruiseCritic "meet-and-greet", agreed to with that sailing's membership, and any other group activity planned.

By the way, while we usually share first names (not necessary, but always welcome), and get somewhat familiar (with some more than with others), permit this new grandmother to encourage you to use proper punctuation when posting...one of my pet-peeves... :o

And I do sincerely hope to meet you on board some time--I know you'll get hooked and I look forward to swap stories with you!

M-L

oops doh is right sorry i guess im still getting used to this bored but thank you for the link its real useful

And don't worry about the doh - I didn't read it as being directed at you, but as irritation at (yet another:D ) double posting by the board - if it happens to me & I notice, I usually go in a edit one of them, as do many others & sometimes it happens to be the first post that is edited, rather then the 2nd (or third etc)

welcome to the board & have fun on your cruise

Yes -- sorry about that Nelly! The "D'oh!" wasn't directed at you. As Karen pointed out, I double-posted (or rather the board did) and I erased the first rather than the second post. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

hey there hope to see ya on board. i feel more comfortable now i know about the food situation. it took my dad alot of convincing and id hate for him to have a miserable time. im really looking forward to this trip as it will be my first cruise and on my dream ship hoping to meet with regular cunarders to regal me with talks of voyages past lol

see you on the 27th

niall

Have a great cruise...I am hoping for smooth seas...and that Dad enjoys the trip...I am looking forward to the trip too..have cruise previously in the Caribbean so this will be a change...

See you on board.

Archived