3 Luaus to Pick From! Need Help!

Gerry

Good evening!

We will be on the Infinity Hawaiian Cruise on October 7, 2004. When we stop at Lahaina, there are two luaus listed for shore excursions. One is the Maui Tropical Plantation Luau and the other one is the Drums of the Pacific Deluxe Luau. On these boards, I have heard a lot of discussion on the Old Lahaina Luau. I have checked their web site and got a lot of information. Which is better, traditional or conventional seating? Also if I book the Old Lahaina Luau myself, is it close enough to walk to or do you need to get some type of transportation? If so, what transportation is best and what would be the cost? Can anyone give me any information on the two luaus listed through the cruise line? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Gerry & Don icon_cool.gif

We did the Feast at Lele....it was wonderful. More upscale, gormet food, served to you at tables. Excellent show.

We parked our rental care overnight in the lot across the street from the Feast at Lele for just a few dollars and walked back to the ship. It was just a few blocks, a very easy walk.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

We went to Old Lahaina a few years ago and it was incredible! The show was magnificent and the food was wonderful. It is right on the beach and the show starts in the water. Can't vouch for your other options but we would do Old Lahaina again. We went to Maui Tropical Plantation and did the tram tour which we really enjoyed but it is not on the beach and I think the beach is a perfect place for a luau.

Norwegian Spirit Aug '04

Norwegian Sun April '03

We did Old Lahaina Luau and it was great.

Traditional seating is on pillows and very low tables, but right next to the stage. As long as you are flexible and don't have back problems I think this would be ok. We did table seating which is right behind the traditional seating. Seating is on a first come first served basis, so the earlier you book the better seating you get. The food is very good and of great variety, as you probably found out on their web site.

If you tender in at Lahaina, you can walk to the luau grounds. It's several blocks of easy walking. Go to the main drag from the pier and turn left. Keep walking until you get there. I would think it's about 15-20 minutes, on your left (ocean side).

We enjoyed it so much in February this year, that when we return next February, we're going again.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I

'92 NCL/Westward

'96 NCL/Seaward

'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas

'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas

'01 Princess/Ocean Princess

'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas

'03 Princess/Sea Princess, back-to-back

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Maui 2 summers ago. The Old Lahaina Luau was the best. Make sure you get there early so that you can have time to walk around and check out the local crafters. Kim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;07;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Alaska Bound on the Sapphire Princess

• 3 weeks later...

I probably shouldn't put a thorn into this thread, but I feel I must be honest. I've only been to two luaus: the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center in 2002 and the Old Lahaina Luau this year. The one at the PCC was just OK. Food was fair to just OK. Virtually no entertainment until the night show later, which was extra cost, but outstanding. The Old Lahaina Luau was very different. They give you all the drinks you want free, but I couldn't find any alcohol taste in any of them. The food, though, was absolutely horrid. I see many posts on these threads about how incredibly good the food is at the Old Lahaina Luau. All I can honestly think about them is that those posters don't know what good food is. With total honesty, I state very emphatically here that the buffet we encountered at the Old Lahaina Luau was, by far, the worst food I have ever encountered in my almost 62 years on this planet. The beef was tougn and almost tasteless. The chicken made made gag. The fish dish was reminiscent of the smell of catfish bait. I must admit that the desserts were less bad...but marginally so. My wife isn't nearly as "picky" as I am, but she, too, had to go back to the ship to find something decent to eat. I didn't particularly care for the entertainment, either. Compared to the entertainment at the PCC, it was pretty poor. Sorry, but I certainly can't recommend the Old Lahain Luau. There must be better ones out there somewhere.

Joedog - Yes, PCC, Paradise Cove and Germaines are the 'big 3' on Oahu.

The original question was on Maui and OLL was always considered the best on that Island. "The Unofficial Guide to Hawaii" gives the nod to Paradise Cove on Oahu....but I understand that Paradise Cove and Germaines are basically the same.

I have been to Paradise Cove...I cannot say the food was "oustanding" but then I loathe buffets. My husband enjoyed it. As musicians, we can emphatically say that the Paradise Cove entertainment was wonderful.

We will be to 2 more luaus this month as we have visitors coming...I will express my thoughts on those later!

Word to the wise, dont go to any Luau for the food...go for the entertainment and the experience!

We went on Kuai'i to Smith's. Yes, Smiths. You might think, "yah, how good can that be?" I thought the same thing. Turns out, that the Smith man came to Kuaii some 60 or so years ago and married a native Hawaiian lady who is soon turning 95. The family has run this luau for many many years. THey have beautiful grounds and a tram ride prior to the unearthing of the pig. The DO have alcohol in their drinks-Mai Tais in one area and call drinks which you watch them pour in another. There is variety on this buffet style buffet and for the price, I thought it was a good value. The show follows the food in an amphitheatre and lasts about an hour or so. They have dancing shows from all the cultures that make up the Hawaiian islands including traditional hula, Tahitian, Japanese, Chinese, Samoan, Tongan and possibly others. For 60.00 a head, I thought it was a good deal and a nice way to spend an evening. We arrived early and did the Fern Grotto at 3:15 and then went to the luau at 5:00. You can explore their grounds for the first hour. I believe the unearthing started at 6:30. The Show started at 8:00 and it was over around 9:00 or so. Just another one to consider. Don't let the name discourage you. No traditional seating--it is all at large tables. Again, just another one to consider if looking for things to do in Kuaii, which I think is a beautiful, laid back island.

Well, I thought the food at the Old Lahaina Luau was very good for a buffet... but then I'm a vegetarian so I didn't eat the dishes Divetex mentioned. (We later went to Mama's Fish House and my husband got mahi mahi with kalua pork and lomilomi salmon. He said that was much better than the luau's food.) And I got quite tipsy from the drinks, so there's definitely alcohol in them. But the show and the music and the setting were really what made it great for me. :)

We weren't on a cruise, but we were staying in Lahaina not far from the tender dock. So, we walked there and back. I saw lots of people getting into cabs at the end of the show, but I don't know if the cabs were called or just sit there waiting for the end of the luau.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to take my mother to a luau. Please give me some advice. We can go to the Old Lahaina Luau, but we do have extra days in Oahu so I wondered if Paradise Cove would be a good alternative. It would suit our schedule better, but if OLL is significantly better than I would like to know. Any feedback at all would be welcome.

Thank you all so much.

Oh, on my last cruise the paaengers were not impressed with the Maui Tropical Plantation Luau. ;)

Actually on Maui, the Hyatt has the best luau for food, drinks from Blue Hawaiians to Mai Tai's. The entertainment in #1 on the island. But at $80 PP that is why.

OLL is the worst next to the last hotel on the right in Kaanapali Beach's strip the opposite direction from the Hyatt (far left). The worst dancers, singers & tough pig!

After spending every February at Kaanapali Beach for the past 11 years, just ask me....... and the whales too.

• 2 weeks later...

Marriot Luau Was Really Nice. Lets Face It, The Food Is Buffet Food,its Not Spoiled Just Not To My Taste Although The Chicken Was Good. The Show Before And After Was Really Nice. My Family Enjoyed It. The Drinks Had Booze In Them. Germains On Oahu Was Really Nice Too But Again, The Food. Marriot Food Much Better. I Would Choose Marriot If I Had To Go Again. Just Consider The Whole Thing As Paying For A Show And If You Find Food You Like Consider That An Extra. Enjoy

Typically I try not to be negative, but I must say that the Old Lahaina Luau was the biggest dissapointment I experienced in Hawaii. I had read how wonderful it was and was truly looking forward to a wonderful evening. What I got however was the worse meal I have ever eaten (or should I say tried to eat) and a mediocre show. For the price, there simply must be something better. After the show and dinner I went in search of anything I could find to eat as I was starving! ---- and I am not a picky eater.

Archived