vaccination question

Just wondered whether anyone could help with the question of vaccinations-we re a British family who have discovered the joys of cruising (only been to the med so far) Would love to take a caribbean cruise-do you vaccinate yourselves and your children ? Spoke to someone who said they don't bother even though certain countries recommend doing so. They felt as they're not sleeping ashore it wouldn't matter :eek: but I'm not content with that.Wondered if anyone could clarify this issue a little ? Thanks so much:) :) :)

Just wondered whether anyone could help with the question of vaccinations-we re a British family who have discovered the joys of cruising (only been to the med so far) Would love to take a caribbean cruise-do you vaccinate yourselves and your children ? Spoke to someone who said they don't bother even though certain countries recommend doing so. They felt as they're not sleeping ashore it wouldn't matter :eek: but I'm not content with that.Wondered if anyone could clarify this issue a little ? Thanks so much:) :) :)
Vaccinated against what??

The most likely issue in the Caribbean [other than possible water/food posioning if you drink/eat ashore] is malaria, and the risk is minimal in most ports, especially if you are not out at dawn or dusk. There is NO current vaccination for malaria, but there are preventative pills [these have to be continued to be taken for six(?) weeks after you return]. Very few people from the US bother with any medications for Caribbean cruises.

Thanks for your quick response!Don't know whether it's different with UK recommendations but for all carib islands there's a fair list of vaccs recommended -are they being totally over cautious? More than likely -malaria is definitely one thing they recommend plus a number of others can't remember off hand)That's why we ended up on a med cruise for our first time but would love to do a caribbean so just wanted to hear others ' thoughts!:) :) :)

Thanks for your quick response!Don't know whether it's different with UK recommendations but for all carib islands there's a fair list of vaccs recommended -are they being totally over cautious? More than likely -malaria is definitely one thing they recommend plus a number of others can't remember off hand)That's why we ended up on a med cruise for our first time but would love to do a caribbean so just wanted to hear others ' thoughts!:) :) :)

I have never gotten any vaccination for any cruise. Though I wasn't allowed to give blood after visiting I believe Belize,though is could have been Roatan, don't remember since we went to both on the same cruise.

Almost all of our cruises have been in the caribbean and we have not felt the need to be vaccinated in the past. Last year we did get Hepatitis A & B but that was because we were traveling to Singapore and were going to be eating locally in Mexico on a trip. Usually we do sailing excursions and rarely eat while ashore so haven't felt at risk not being vaccinated.

In my Canadian family, three couples went on Caribbean cruises this month so we spoke to three family doctors. All insisted on our getting TwinRix shots for Hepatitis A and B. Not just because of shore excursions but because of the number of nationalities among the passengers and crew on the ships. My sister's doctor insisted on typhoid vaccinations for the Caribbean and malaria pills because they were going to the Dominican Republic during their cruise. Well that's on the other side of the island of Haiti where Labadee is and where I got several insect bites...........anyone know the first symptoms of malaria? (gg) Seriously, the Canadian news has been full of advisories this week on being sure to be protected against malaria if visiting the Caribbean because of the number of Canadians becoming infected recently.

Check out this site and talk to a travel medicine clinic or doctor soon. I know we will be getting typhoid shots and malaria pills before our next cruise.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationList.aspx

em

Both my DH and are vaccinated against Hep A, B, and Typhoid as well as having an up to date Tetanus shot. This was at both of our Drs. advice, since we are cruising more and more. When we went to the Board of Health to get the vaccinations, the Doctor actually said that Typhoid is not a bad vaccine to have since more and more of our produce is coming in from other countries and we can't always be sure that most restaurants are washing and preparing it properly.

Basically, if you are only going ashore for a few hours and are not in the "wilds' of some third-world country, you really don't need any vaccinations.

However, if you're spending alot of time in backcountry areas, for days on ends, with bugs, and bad water, then vaccinate!

Most cruise passenger's aren't exposed to any of the illnesses that are possible in some of these places. 3 hours walking through town isn't much of a risk!

Thanks for everyone taking the time to respond,I guess I'll wait a year or two for our little one to get a bit hardier before having the extra vaccs as I hate giving them more than they strictly need when their immune systems are so immature. We will continue cruising around the med & canaries until then .(Not exactly a hardship for me!!!:p :p :p )Heehee!!

Another vote for Twinrix. My family of 3 have all had the vaccination. Why not take advantage of the protection it offers? Having said that - it is expensive as it must be administered in 3 separate shots. The first, 30 days later another, and then 6 months later the last one. Cost the 3 of us about $180 for each round and it was not covered under our drug plan. We are Canadian so I am not sure what the situation is in the U.S

Archived