What is the best way (and easiest) to get to french side

Tra4

IMO, best and easiest is by taxi. You can take public transportation to some parts of the French side, but not all. Sure, that can save money, but for us, the convenience of having a private taxi is worth the expense. There are also large "group" taxi vans/buses that cost a bit less than the private ones, but you do have to wait for them to be filled, and the "handlers" basically herd you into them. Sometimes they make one stop (if all pax are going to the same place), and sometimes they have multiple stops (which can make travel time a bit longer).

You will hear many opinions on this. Some people want the least expensive option of the public transportation. That's perfectly fine and works for many, but I don't appreciate when they also say that all the taxi drivers are essentially criminal con artists there to rip off visitors. Some people like the group taxis because they are convenient, but cost a bit less per person than the private ones (as long as you have a full boat, as it were). Some people prefer the private taxis. Some people even enjoy renting a car for the day for the flexibility it gives. This can be a good option if you are planning to go to several places, which can get very expensive by taxi.

It's entirely up to you as to which option works best for you. (Of course, if the public transportation doesn't go where you want to go, then that option is out entirely.)

beachchick

Oh my goodness......rent a car..........we do this in just about every port.

We like to use Budget, but there are many others....all with just about the same price........all car rentals are at the end of the dock, turn right.

It is just a couple minute walk....all beautiful sidewalk....beautiful port.

My DH is 60+ and he has no trouble driving most anywhere. Don't forget these folks are so used to us tourists......this island is beautiful to be seen in your own timeframe.

Please don't be afraid to rent/drive.............I think your parents...regardless of age would feel safe and confortable with a rented car.........

And please note.....these are nice clean cars.....just like you would rent in the U.S................in fact this next trip we are taking our 3 grandkids for their first cruise.................AND renting a car:D

Taxi. Not sure where you heard your rumor, but our experience was just the opposite. Our driver was very friendly and reliable. Said he would be back to pick us up at a certain time and he was early and waiting for us.

Wow.

Where do you hear this?

gary

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't hear it as a rumor, but rather have read those types of comments in random posts over the years on this forum and a few of the cruise line forums. Our experience with taxis on St. Martin has been very good. I think some people believe that the cost is too high and that the regulated system is somehow a monopoly designed solely to take as much money from cruise pax as possible.

We certainly had no problems with private taxis or taxi drivers. A few years back, the wonderful driver who took us over to Orient was already booked through the time we wanted to schedule our return. He called a friend, made the arrangements, gave his friend a general description of us and us a general description of his friend, and that was that. There was his friend's taxi right on the dot and exactly where we were supposed to meet him. That was our first visit to St. Martin and on the way over our driver gave a bit of island history and interesting tidbits; on the way back, my BIL wanted to stop in town to buy a Cuban cigar to have on the ship, so our return driver gave him a few recommendations and dropped my sister and BIl in town, then he drove my DH and me to where we wanted to be droppped off. Very nice and well worth the money.

The only thing we didn't like was when we were at the pier trying to get a taxi. The handlers (I'm sure they have an actual name for the job, but I don't know it) kept trying to herd us onto one of the large van taxis. We said we wanted a private taxi, but we simply couldn't get the handlers to call one over for us. They kept saying the big buses were better. Finally, my DH (who was a tad annoyed by then) made eye contact with the next car taxi driver in line, and we were good to go.

beachchick

Archived