Getting Pack N Play on the ship

Ashelleigh

We're taking the Carnival Glory April 12. After reading previous posters experiences with the cribs on some of the cruise ships, I may take our pack N Play.

For those that have taken their pack n Play's...how did you get it on the ship? Did you give it to the porter's and attach a label tag? Did you have any kind of special bag to carry it? Also, have any of you had any trouble with them getting broken? What about the last night of the cruise - did you carry it off the ship with you?

Any help you can give is appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Our pack n play folds up and has a carry bag thing so we take it just like another piece of luggage. If yours doesn't have a convenient carry feature then it would be awkward to get on or off a ship (or a car or anywhere else for that matter.) I thought they were all designed to be portable?

Ours has a carry bag with a handle, and we carried it both on and off the ship both times. It really wasn't that bad. Other than a diaper bag, it was the only thing we needed to carry on, so my husband took that and I pushed the stroller with the diaper bag.

We knew our son would want a nap before we got our luggage delivered and he likes to have his own space (he won't sleep with us at all).

For us, it wasn't a big deal!

Happy cruising!:D

We used the cruise ship supplied one last time and it was really kind of gross. On our next cruise (2 weeks) we are going to bring our own even though it adds another thing to carry. We plan to check it like any other piece of luggage. Going to have to check it on the plane anyway so I figure if it can survive that without getting damaged then it should make it on and off the ship in one piece.

I have a Graco Travelite pack and play. It is a little smaller than a regular pack and play. We just got back form a trip to St. Thomas. I found a large duffel bag that it would fit in and checked it in at the airport. I was afraid to take it in its own bag. I thought that it may get ripped up, the fabric of the bag doesn't seem very strong. This worked great for us and I plan on doing the same for our next cruise. I am too much of a germophobe to use the ship's or hotel's cribs!

We have one of the full sized graco models which came with a carry bag with little handles. We have taken it on 2 or 3 holidays now with international flights, etc., and have always just checked it like regular luggage. No problems. No damage. Just another piece to lug around.

A pack and play is going to take up too much room. Let the staff provide a crib for you. It will be fine. If it is dirty- ask the steward to clean it. Don't sweat the small stuff. I used them twice- once on NCL and once on Celebrity and they weren't dirty at all.

Maybe the type of crib varies by ship and company. We just got off the Carnival Conquest. I, too, debated on whether to bring our Graco Travelite. My hubby was determined we were bringing it because he is a germaphobe. I was overwhelmed with everything else we had to drag on board so I convinced him to just go with what ship provided. Carnival told us we were getting a pack n play but we got a white metal crib like the ones that have been described on these boards.

There were NO problems with it and it was extremely clean. I called Carnival and reserved it before our cruise. When we got onboard, our steward found us and told us he would bring our crib and set it up during our dinner. He asked where we wanted it and we put it under our oceanview window. We had plenty of room in our cabin to get around. The steward made it up everynight just like our king bed.

We were so thankful we didn't bring our own travelite pack n play. It is about the same size as the crib they gave us on the ship. Ours might be a tad smaller. It was one thing less we had to take on and off the ship and find a place to cram in our car. It was more important for me to carry on the stroller, diaper bag, camera bag, our toiletries and dinner/pj outfits, and all the diapers, wipes and baby food. Those were the things I decided I couldn't live without if our luggage got lost.

We were on the Oosterdam last Summer and reserved a crib ahead of time. What we got was a Graco Pack n' Play that was stained and obviously well used. They didn't even have the proper sheet to go over the pad, instead they used a regular bed sheet and just folded it under on the sides (fortunately we had brought our own sheet). It ended up working just fine, but we decided on that cruise that we would bring our own on the next one. It is not just for the cruise, but also for the hotels before and after. Who knows what kind of crib they would provide (if any).

• 3 weeks later...

I have to vote thumbs down on the Carnival metal cribs. Our DD didn't take to it very well. We would have been much better off taking the pack-n-play with us. Besides, if your kid is familiar with the pack-n-play, that's one less change for them - which should make everything go smoother.

Our daughter wouldn't sleep in the white metal crib either (which I found more bulky than a pack n play). She ended up spending the week in our bed...not ideal, but it was a bit of a treat for all of us! There were no issues putting her back in her crib once we got home, and we finally just asked the cabin steward to take the crib away.

Just got back from the Caribbean with our 1 year old. We took along our Graco pack and play and had no problems with it. We checked it like regular luggage both on the plane and on the ship. It worked out really well for us. We even set it up out on the balcony so our daughter could play in it while we enjoyed the sunshine.

Just got back from the Caribbean with our 1 year old. We took along our Graco pack and play and had no problems with it. We checked it like regular luggage both on the plane and on the ship. It worked out really well for us. We even set it up out on the balcony so our daughter could play in it while we enjoyed the sunshine.

That is a great idea to put it out on the deck. After reading this thread we have decided to bring our own. We are driving to the ship so it won't be a problem carrying it.

Archived