A deep heartfelt thank you to my CC friends

Brneyznfl

I hope the moderators will let this stay up a day or two. Let me mention that I can't wait to go on a cruise one day..ok now we're on topic. :D

This goes out to not only those who frequent the Princess board but also Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I'm so blessed with wonderful friends from this online community. I just wanted to say a thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who posted, emailed me, who called me, sent messages through my other CC friends etc., praying for me, my family and all of us here in Pensacola. Many of you, I"ve never met, but you have a very special place in my heart. Your concern and prayers meant so much to me. It was a terrifying experience for me as well as all of us here.I was very emotional immediately after the storm and felt so disconnected from the outside world right after Ivan and your support helped so much, more than you'll ever know.

Pensacola took a bad hit from Hurricane Ivan. Our city has been devastated. I've been through several hurricanes but nothing compares to this and the destruction it caused. The effects to the infrastructure is massive. Major bridges into Pensacola and to the beaches were torn up. Every govenmental building has substantial damage. Our airport has been damaged so much that it's closed indefinitely. All of our hospitals have damage. Our Naval Air Station and our wonderful Naval Aviation Museum had millions of dollars in damage. Our beautiful white beaches are devistated. Roads were washed out and have to be rebuilt. You can't drive down one street here where there isn't some kind of damage, be it roofs, fallen trees, damaged houses and in some cases total destruction. Many people have no place left to go to and have lost everything.

But you know what, the spirit of survival is alive and well in Pensacola and our neighbors to the west..Gulf Shores in AL, to the east...Gulf Breeze, Ft. Walton, Destin and Panama City. Every day gets a little better. Neighbors are helping neighbors. Strangers talk to each other waiting in lines for ice, water and food. People who have lost everything are out there helping others, giving what they can of themselves. We have been all reminded just how precious life is and that things can be replaced. Buildings and roads can rebuilt and rebuild we will. I cant say enough thank you's to the power crews who are helping us who have come from all over the United States and Canada. I almost start crying when I see their trucks and see them working out there in this heat to help us. There are volunteers from the Salavation Army, the Red Cross, the United Way. The National Guard, local Emergency Management and our law enforcement as well as FEMA are doing one heck of a fantastic job. All of these people are working tirelessly to get the food, water and ice out there as well as all the things it's taking to help get Pensacola back on its feet. It's a long road ahead but we will make it.

Thank you again to all of you out there.

Jan

Here are some photos I took.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Brneyzpcola

God bless you Jan. I am so sorry for the heartbreak you are feeling. All the prayers and support you recieved is continuous!! We will always be here for you!. It will be a long time before thing are anywhere near normal again, but try to keep your spirits high!! We are so grateful that you are alive. You don't need to have a cruise booked to be part of our family!! You ARE a part of our family and always will be!!!! :)

Jan, we can only hope that life will get back to some form of normal soon for all of you. All of the storms this year have left destruction in so many places that it's hard to comprehend the scale and scope. It really shows how powerless we are in so many ways, but what strength we have in the aftermath.

All of our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your neighbors. I have a close friend who is a native of Pensacola. They made it through with out damage to their person but their property was damaged significnatly. You are so right about the ability to replace/repair the material things in life.

Here's hoping your next cruise comes sooner than later, and that you never have to experience that again.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

We are truely fortunate and so blessed to live in this country. It's crossed my mind many times since the storm about what the caribbean islands are going through right now especially Grand Caymen. Many here are still without water and sewage but we are seeing firsthand how quickly all these organizations and the federal government are stepping in to help. Within hours, the National Guard was here. In less than a week half in our area have power. I know it hasn't been like this for Grand Caymen and the other islands like Grenada. I feel so sad for them. Spongerob said it so well...It really shows how powerless we are in so many ways, but what strength we have in the aftermath.

"As I have said before, man gets put in his place when he understands that at a particular point in time when it comes to nature, all he is is an observer," said Panama City Beach Mayor Lee Sullivan.
Best wishes for the rebirth of your city...

may you stay safe & strong in your efforts.

ani_bird_trans.gif

Jan-

I remember when I first found Cruise Critic and the Carnival board after our families first cruise. I remember all the questions I had and all the answers I got. I remember the friends I made there and the stories of not just cruising but life, before and after those cruises. I remember new members coming and going, some stopping by for a short time, others staying to become regulars.

When I think back to those days I think back to the small, core group of people, not just screen names, but people, that represented the heart and soul of that community.

And I think of you.

I'm so glad you made it through but somehow I just knew you would. Some people you just know about.

That they'll make it.

That they'll survive.

I didn't have to think twice about it. They'll be the house that remains standing or theirs will be the light that stays and endures.

That's you

Jan -- I am so glad you came through that terrible storm. The recovery process will be difficult, but it will come. I pray that you and your family stay well and out of harm's way now. I went through the first part of Ivan over here on the East Coast. My first hurricane and it was frightening. Just the little bit we went through has changed us, and we have a really deep appreciation of what you must have gone through. God Bless!!

Jan - I live in Auburn, AL, and only experienced a "milder" version of Ivan, although I have friends in Gulf Shores who lost pretty much everything. It was a horrible experience for all of us here and on the Coast, and we've been receiving almost non-stop daily coverage of the devastation along the Gulf Coast and inland. We were very lucky where I live, in a newer area with newer and smaller trees, but there are still parts of our community without power and damage from large trees. I'm going to tell you a very schmaltzy story, but it's a sincere one. I work with semi-independent MR and MI clients in a 24/7 facility, and our concern was for their safety. We worked round-the-clock last week (Thursday) and they are just fine, but they were terrified. We lost power off and on, and listened to tornado warnings all day and were prepared to evacuate them. What was just inconceivable to me was that during these broadcasts, with the wind and rain and tornadoes, we had to listen about whether or not the AU-LSU game was going to take place! What REALLY p***** me off was the headline in the Opelika-Auburn News last Friday with the Auburn-LSU game taking most of the front page, and Ivan getting the backseat. I'm not from this area, and try to understand the SEC allegiances, but to place football over devastation for thousands just chapped my Western hide! My step-father has box-seat season tickets to the AU games, and he, my mother, my brother and I decided to sell them and donate the money to the Red Cross - which we did. The local news showed both teams staying safely in the AU Conference Center, doing some limited workouts, and then switched to the Gulf area - including Pensacola - to show total devastation and the population that lives there and who are trying to cope. Unbelievable! Glad you are safe, please hang in there, and know that we have you in our thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a chance to look at your pictures Jan and I'm actually speechless. I learned week before last and a couple of days ago that it's one thing to look at pictures on TV but to witness the destruction a hurricane can leave behind with your own eyes gives you a totally different perspective. Again, I'm so glad you and your family came through this ok.

Archived