walking distance question

musicgirl63

Thanks!!

Last year we were on the #8 bus from the dockyards to Hamilton and decided to get off at Barnes Corners (near a very very rusty ship). We walked up and over to Church Bay. Great views from way up there. That was quite a jaunt so I'm hoping it may be better. ?????

Hi Lorie,

I wrote you on another post but found this one that you started. How's things?Did you have a nice holiday? Are you getting excited about your upcoming cruise? Sounds like you have become a Bermuda expert. I have a question for you? Do you think it is worth it to get the bus passes for the time we are port? The bigthings we want to do with the kids are go to the aquarium, see one of the caves, go to St. george beach and go to the beach near St.George that has all of the sea glass. We will likely snorkel with the kids at the snorkel park. We only have 2 days in Bermuda. You get an extra day. We dock on Monday morning and leave Tuesday evening I think? Need to double check. Erik and I are also taking the kids to Germany in April. Big time travelers huh. Tell Your DH we said Hi too. Lisa

Hey Lisa!!!!

Long time no talk!!! Come chat on our board!!!

Let's see. The bus/ferry pass will be worth it and the kids are cheap.

Where do you dock??? I have a whole itinerary with bus numbers etc. Yes, I over plan!!!

These boards have been taking sooooo long to post. I'm going to post this one and then post again.

If you are docking at the Dockyards, I would take a ferry to St. George. There are some really nice beaches there. St. Catherine's, Achilles Bay are nice, Tobacco Bay has some good snorkeling if you have equipment. Go to Alex. Battery park to get the sea glass. These are all in the same area.

You can take a number of buses from St. George to the Caves. For one cave it is $14 for both it is $20. I don't know if that is for kids as well. I hear that if you do only 1, do the Fantasy Caves.

Then you could catch a bus to the Aquarium.

There is a Heritage Bermuda Passport (HBP) that you can purchase for $25 that allows you into the Aquarium, the museum zoo, Ft. Catherine's, Bermuda National Gallery, Bermuda Underwater Institute, Tucker House, Bermuda National Trust Museum, Maritime Museum. It is cash only

I don't know if this pass would be worth it. But depending on the price of the aquarium, it may be worth it if going to any of the other places.

GERMANY!!! Wow!

I'm still bummed that you aren't cruising with us. I started a roll call you know where, but so far only one other gal has joined and then someone else from another roll call who is all alone.

I don't think there will ever be a roll call like that again or a group of fun people to cruise with either!

If you are docking at the Dockyards, I would take a ferry to St. George. There are some really nice beaches there. St. Catherine's, Achilles Bay are nice, Tobacco Bay has some good snorkeling if you have equipment. Go to Alex. Battery park to get the sea glass. These are all in the same area.

You can take a number of buses from St. George to the Caves. For one cave it is $14 for both it is $20. I don't know if that is for kids as well. I hear that if you do only 1, do the Fantasy Caves.

Then you could catch a bus to the Aquarium.

There is a Heritage Bermuda Passport (HBP) that you can purchase for $25 that allows you into the Aquarium, the museum zoo, Ft. Catherine's, Bermuda National Gallery, Bermuda Underwater Institute, Tucker House, Bermuda National Trust Museum, Maritime Museum. It is cash only

I don't know if this pass would be worth it. But depending on the price of the aquarium, it may be worth it if going to any of the other places.

GERMANY!!! Wow!

I'm still bummed that you aren't cruising with us. I started a roll call you know where, but so far only one other gal has joined and then someone else from another roll call who is all alone.

I don't think there will ever be a roll call like that again or a group of fun people to cruise with either!

Thanks for all of that great info. We are docking on the west end again. The price for all of us to get into the aquarium is 20 bucks. I do not think the activity pass would be worth it. I did not realise that you could take a feery from the dockyard. I will definitely do that. Does it look like you can walk to the sea glass beach and all of the other beaches form where the ferry drops you off or would we need to take another bus? I keep on hearing that the currents are bad on the St. George side of the island. That worries me with the kids.

I so agree with you about the awesome group of people on our last cruise. I miss all of our silly chats. Lisa

Lisa,

Where the ferry drops off is right near the bus terminal. There are no buses that run directly to the beaches or the sea glass. At least that what I've seen and I just laminated my maps! Yes I know.....

Anyway, we were planning on walking from the ferry to Tobacco Bay and then down to Gate Fort which is right next to Alex. Battery where the sea glass is. Do you have people who might not be able to walk? I don't know how far it actually is or if a taxi could drive there.

I was just reading a report and it sounds like from the bus terminal/ferry it is about 1 mile to Alex. Battery. It also sounds like if you are up near Achilles/St. Catherines it is about 1 mile to Alex. Battery.

I'll post a tid bit to you.

I was just reading a report and it sounds like from the bus terminal/ferry it is about 1 mile to Alex. Battery. It also sounds like if you are up near Achilles/St. Catherines it is about 1 mile to Alex. Battery.

I'll post a tid bit to you.

Ft St Catherine to Alexandra Battery is about 3/4 mile and a half mile from the ferry dock, but there's some uphill segments going either way on either route that will make it feel longer.

bdaguy

We always walk from Tobacco Bay past Coot Pond to Barry Rd. around the Town Cut and back to St. George. I've tried estimating the distance, but like you said with some up hill segments it's hard. Do you have a ball park estimate for this route?

bdaguy

We always walk from Tobacco Bay past Coot Pond to Barry Rd. around the Town Cut and back to St. George. I've tried estimating the distance, but like you said with some up hill segments it's hard. Do you have a ball park estimate for this route?

This route is around 1.8 miles.

The shortest walk from the Town Square in St Geo to Alexandra Battery-

turn right onto the main road, walk up Barrack Hill which will become Cut Road. When you see St George's Dinghy Club, you will be looking for a left turn onto Floral Lane. Once at the end of Floral Lane turn right, and you'll see Alexandra Battery.

Archived