Intova IC600

ezmack

Did a bit of research and the company has been around for a while.

I also scanned through a fair number of user reviews from different sources. The only consistent negative is battery life which most have solved by buying 2500MAH rechargeable NIMH AA batteries.

Some small quibbles about image quality, but most seem to agree that it's quite good for the price.

Their website:

http://www.intova.net/

Hope this was of some help...

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had one, I bought it just one day before we went on a cruise, and I bought it for taking pictures while snorkeling.The big draw for me was the price, $200 for a camera & housing! Thats an awesome price, and the housing is pretty nice, it has a nice big silicone rubber gasket, and it didn't let in one single drop using it at the hotel pool, on in the salty ocean. It floats quite well too, I tested the water-proofness first at the hotel, without the camera in it, we played catch with it in the water, held it under the water, swam with it tied around my ankle, etc, and it was fine. And I had checked too where I bought it, he said if I had any problems, like water leaking in or anything, I could bring it back for a full refund, handled by the store, so I wouldn't have to deal with the manufacture, and hope they didn't try to say I voided my warranty for some reason.

So anyways... the camera itself is decent, most of the pictures turned out fine without having to go into the menu to adjust white balance or iso settings or anything, it did fine as a point-and-shoot kind of camera. The biggest draw back of this camera is the housing itself, and not because it didn't work. It worked really well to keep the water out. But thats about it. The buttons are so close together, you cant push most of them. They need to be pushed in quite far, and its almost impossible to do without mashing down one or 2 other buttons at the same time. And the most disappointing thing about this camera... if you have ANY kind of light around you (ie the sun!) you can not see the LCD screen when you are in the water. This is not an exaggeration. The clear housing basically acts like a mirror, you can not see the screen!

So as you are taking pictures underwater, you have NO IDEA if they are turning out. You can't even see if the camera's on or off. Blurry, focused, centered, ??? You'll have no idea until you're out of the water, and find some shade under a tree or something, then you can see what was going on.

So anyways, as soon as we got back, back to the store it went. And it's a shame, because it really wasn't that bad, but not being able to see the screen, or use any buttons, really was super-disappointing, this is a camera I would borrow from someone, just to use underwater, but I wouldn't buy it again.

But I have no clue if I'm helping you out with what you need to know, if this answers your question, or if you had a more specific question, just let me know.

Ahoy!

Pradafan1 : Just purchased one on Amazon last week for an upcoming snorkel trip(s). Hmm...

Just wondered if a strip of some sort of dark film/UV block would help cut down on the reflection problem with the screen.

Thoughts by anyone?

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

• 1 month later...
Hi, I had one, I bought it just one day before we went on a cruise, and I bought it for taking pictures while snorkeling.The big draw for me was the price, $200 for a camera & housing! Thats an awesome price, and the housing is pretty nice, it has a nice big silicone rubber gasket, and it didn't let in one single drop using it at the hotel pool, on in the salty ocean. It floats quite well too, I tested the water-proofness first at the hotel, without the camera in it, we played catch with it in the water, held it under the water, swam with it tied around my ankle, etc, and it was fine. And I had checked too where I bought it, he said if I had any problems, like water leaking in or anything, I could bring it back for a full refund, handled by the store, so I wouldn't have to deal with the manufacture, and hope they didn't try to say I voided my warranty for some reason.

So anyways... the camera itself is decent, most of the pictures turned out fine without having to go into the menu to adjust white balance or iso settings or anything, it did fine as a point-and-shoot kind of camera. The biggest draw back of this camera is the housing itself, and not because it didn't work. It worked really well to keep the water out. But thats about it. The buttons are so close together, you cant push most of them. They need to be pushed in quite far, and its almost impossible to do without mashing down one or 2 other buttons at the same time. And the most disappointing thing about this camera... if you have ANY kind of light around you (ie the sun!) you can not see the LCD screen when you are in the water. This is not an exaggeration. The clear housing basically acts like a mirror, you can not see the screen!

So as you are taking pictures underwater, you have NO IDEA if they are turning out. You can't even see if the camera's on or off. Blurry, focused, centered, ??? You'll have no idea until you're out of the water, and find some shade under a tree or something, then you can see what was going on.

So anyways, as soon as we got back, back to the store it went. And it's a shame, because it really wasn't that bad, but not being able to see the screen, or use any buttons, really was super-disappointing, this is a camera I would borrow from someone, just to use underwater, but I wouldn't buy it again.

But I have no clue if I'm helping you out with what you need to know, if this answers your question, or if you had a more specific question, just let me know.

Ahoy!

Got back from a cruise that included snorkel trips in Aruba & Curacao I totally agree with prandfan1 as far as using the camera underwater (unable to see screen, manipulation of buttons, washed out pictures, etc). Even the land shots weren't to great.

I mailed it back to Amazon last week upon arrival home and rec'd the credit ($149) back on my cc today (I really like using Amazon; they've been great over the years for returns) .

Now back to square one or perhaps back to the 35mm Hamnex. Any further suggestions?

I'm thinking of replacing my wife's point and shoot Sony with a newer model (and one, perhaps, that has an underwater housing available).

May everyone's next cruise be a GREAT CRUISE!

I'm thinking of replacing my wife's point and shoot Sony with a newer model (and one, perhaps, that has an underwater housing available).

Ahoy Prescott Bob,

I just got the Fuji Finepix FD and the Fuji housing for it. I am pleased with the results. I wrote up a quick review/report here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=731685

Archived