Shore Diving or Wall and Reef in GC?

jdbmga

It depends on what you want from your dive. If you've never dived Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto, I think you'd enjoy it. It's low stress. It isn't a deep dive and is easy to find your way around. You don't really need a guide. You can buy a map of the area at the Eden Rock dive shop. All you need to do is walk to the shop, rent whatever you need, pay for the use of the facilities and dive off their dock. When we were there, the visibility was excellent. You can spend your surface interval at a nearby restaurant while your gear remains safely in a locker at Eden Rock.

The boat dives vary as much as the operators and the skill and experience of the other divers in your group.

Thanks, islandwoman.

Should a newly certified diver do an un-guided shore dive?

Probably not. Maybe if your buddy is an experienced diver or has dived the site before.

I think Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto would be good sites for a novice diver (with a DM guide or experienced buddy), unless the water is rough or has a strong current. When we were there we had only a little current and no waves. It's an easy dive within sight of the cruise ships and the dive shop. The only challenge would be the swim-throughs if your buoyancy control isn't very good. But you can skip those.

Thanks, islandwoman.

Should a newly certified diver do an un-guided shore dive?

Do you already have a buddy? Then the answer is maybe. If your buddy is experienced, then you might not need to hire a guide. If your buddy is also a noobie, then definitely you need a guide.

You weren't even considering diving without a buddy, right?

Do you already have a buddy? Then the answer is maybe. If your buddy is experienced, then you might not need to hire a guide. If your buddy is also a noobie, then definitely you need a guide.

You weren't even considering diving without a buddy, right?

bruce, we were posting at the same time.

Of course I wouldn't dive without a buddy. I do know that much about diving already. :D

bruce, we were posting at the same time.

Of course I wouldn't dive without a buddy. I do know that much about diving already. :D

You could always hire the guide for the first dive, then do a second dive by yourselves.

Archived