Excursions

Madkitty

Can anyone comment on what the excursions are like with P&O, cost and variety - I notice there are about 10 for each port showing at the moment but wondered if these were samples as we're used to chosing between about 30 for each port with Royal Caribbean. Also do P&O tend to be a lot more expensive that booking on your own?

Can anyone comment on what the excursions are like with P&O, cost and variety - I notice there are about 10 for each port showing at the moment but wondered if these were samples as we're used to choosing between about 30 for each port with Royal Caribbean. Also do P&O tend to be a lot more expensive that booking on your own?

Hi MK from MK,

No 10 will be about right, there may be a few more or less, but the website give a good guide.

The impression I get is that they are cheaper than the other lines but as with most lines you can do it more cheaply yourself.

Whatever it says in the brochure you do not pay for shuttle buses. We have never paid in 10 cruises.

Were are you going to perhaps we could give you a more accurate guide to P&O's prices if we knew the ports.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I am told that on Navigator of the Seas med cruises they charge for shuttle bus's...

I am puzzled how the other cruise lines would have more trips as they are arranged via the local tourist board... so wouldn't they want to offer as much as possible.. Or do they just like to make sure they fill lots of coaches with a limited no of trips rather than have 30 trips get some under subscribed and then cancel them ... maybe P&O just have the popular ones???

RCI do offer a lot more tours and many of the half day tours have am and pm slots. I noticed on our Oceana cruise in a few weeks that nearly all the tours only have morning slots and are back at the ship by lunchtime.

Trips are organised by the various cruiselines with individual tour companies in every port not the local tourist board.

We have just returned from Lanzarote. Entry to most places is about €8 each. We had a hire car but I expect you could get a taxi reasonably cheaply. It takes about 60-90 minutes to drive end to end so distances are not great. A 30 minute ride is quoted at €30 for 18 miles. 'Must do' places are Cesar Manrique's house, the Jardin de Cactus, Cueva de Los verdes (Green caves) and Jameos del Agua. Without stopping this would be 75 minutes and cover 35 miles.

I go into this detail only to illustrate the potential DIY price and a P&O Tour.

Looking at the brochure I would expect to pay some £28 each or £56 for 2. If I did the places mentioned above, used a taxi, and had him wait for me I might expect to pay about €90. Roughly entry to each attraction would be €8 each. For two people that would work out at €154 or twice the price of a single P&O Tour. Clearly you could pay more using a taxi, you may be able to do it by bus or organise a mini-bus. DIY would enable you to do all 4 places I mentioned whereas P&O may not do all 4.

If you were brave you might hire a car at about £25/day.

While we were in Lanzarote we took a Lastminute.com bus tour of Fuereventura for €56 each from Puerto del Carmen.

I would conclude that the P&O tours were good value for money but you might not get exactly the tour you want. When we return to Lanzarote I shall be heading for a Spar shop.:)

For about €4.50 you can buy a 3-pack of tiny cactus. LOL.

Archived