just back from Salt and Pepper

Robrph

just returned from the Summit and spent our day in Roatan at Salt and Pepper. We were met t the dock and travelled to the beach "resort" by van. There were about 20 of us who met thru Cruise Critics and booked the same trip. We were met by Paul David, the owner of the place and brother of a rocker from Led Zepelin. Paul David had several TV monitors in the place that continually played rock videos of his brother. We walked across the street to a rather small beach area where we met some people from another ship that had arrived earlier.

We hadn't been there five minutes when the skies darkened and rain started. Soon it was like a monsoon and we retrated from the beach back to the resort main building. We ordered drinks and just sat around waiting for the rain to stop. About an hour and a half later, the rain stopped and we decided to take advantage of the sunlight to do a little snorkeling. Six of us went out in a small boat a short distance to the barrier reef. There was very little guidance from the guide- basically we jumped in the water and went off on our own. Later we met back at the boat. One woman had cut her knee on the ladder getting back into the boat. She also had large sores up and down both legs. She explained she had gotten to the beach about 7:30AM and had been laying out for about 2 hours when she realized she had been bitten by sand flies. We were glad it had rained or we would have been in the same condition. If you go there, make sure you take bug spray.

Lunch was a large platter of lobster, beans and rice, another type of fish and salad. The lobster was twin tails and was a bit tough but generally the meal was pretty tasty. Or maybe we were just pretty hungry. We had to return to the ship by 2:30, so there wasn't much time to go back to the beach.

All in all, I don't think I would return to Salt and Pepper- probably try Sante Wellness center instead.

Rob

Celebrity Summit-04/04
Celebrity Galaxy-3/02
Carnavil Ecstasy- 01/01
RCL Nordic Empress- 4/00
Carnival Fantasy- 5/99
NCL Westward- 4/96

[B]Robrph .... [/B] Thanks very much for your time for this review.

Some friends of ours from Canada who just returned said they were NOT at all happy with Salt and Pepper. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [I]They thought it would be perfect for them because HE likes to go out on snorkel boats and SHE loves just being on the beach and floating around in the water. [/I]

Unfortunately, neither had a very good time and it was sunny day. SHE had to go to a beach across the road which was filled with seaweed and there were sand fleas . HE was really unhappy with the crew and snorkel location.

Gosh, I just thought they had a BAD day ... it happens. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] That's why we very much appreciate your time to do the review -- so we KNOW our friends aren't the only ones who did not enjoy doing this.

Happy Sailing! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

• 11 months later...
The Salt and Pepper Restaurant closed last year. You can still contact Paul David through his website link on Roatanet.com. Not sure where he is operating out of anymore, although I see him regularly hanging out in West End with all us other locals.

Happy Days.
Island Dweller

Archived