Eating from Beach vendors

querida

Is it safe to eat from beach vendors/restaurants? Should I stay away from raw foods? What about snowcones and traditional drinks (the kind served in fruits), other traditional fare such as mango sticks? Everything sounds great but I don't want to get sick!

It is usually recommended that you avoid ice/water from questionable sources, raw foods and street vendors which pretty much rules out all the options you listed. Although some of it may be fine, I wouldn't risk ruining my vacation by getting sick from eating or drinking something I'm not too sure about. We generally stick to drinking bottled beverages and eating at well known and presumably safe (nothing is 100%) restaurants. It really is a personal decision and depends on how much of a chance you are willing to take.

Is it safe to eat from beach vendors/restaurants? Should I stay away from raw foods? What about snowcones and traditional drinks (the kind served in fruits), other traditional fare such as mango sticks? Everything sounds great but I don't want to get sick!

Sure would help to know where you are going so we can comment on more specific locations.

Nope!! Never eat already peeled fruit or ice cones etc from street vendors.

Almost all hotels and therefore their bars and restaurants have water purification systems. I would still never drink water directly out of the tap though;) Back in the late 70's we still had to brush our teeth with bottled water!

One last thing that is very important in my book is making sure that you all have been immunized for hepatitus! (Twinrix) if you do not then it is like playing "Russian Roulette" with your health!;) :D

Smiles,Connie

Archived